Forums Latest Members
  1. SpeedBird 1982 Apr 24, 2017

Hello All,

I have a beautiful new Omega Speedmaster "TinTin" that I've been wearing around for a few months. I travel for work and usually end up in pretty safe places. However, being a rather sizeable investment I'm curious if anyone has found a way to insure their watch from theft or loss that makes sense. Any advise greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Brian

mokofoko likes this.
  2. glownyc Apr 24, 2017

If you do a search you'll find threads about insurance. Many people add it on to home insurances.

SpikiSpikester and Larry S like this.
  3. w.finkenstaedt Apr 24, 2017

Everything I own over $1000 is itemized and insured. You bet your ass my Omega's are on that list.

SpeedBird 1982 likes this.
  4. Fatcat Apr 24, 2017

Insure you watches on a specific contract should be around 1% of the value , covers about stolen, broken, fire whatever at least in Switzerland .

lando likes this.
  5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 24, 2017

6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 24, 2017

I have a few watches insured with Jeweler's Mutual (link in post above ^^^). The annual premium is about 2% of the insured value. It appears to be a reputable company but I haven't had to make a claim so I can't speak to how that process may go.

Richmortrd likes this.
  7. McJamesT Apr 24, 2017

I added my TinTin (great choice by the way ;)) to the homeowners policies like ive done with my other watches. Should be an easy process

mokofoko likes this.
  8. R3D9 Apr 24, 2017

Canadian here - my watches are insured under my home insurance policy for all perils and a zero deductible (for the first claim - it would go up if I ever made a claim) and it costs me $30-$80 per year per watch (depending upon the relative value of the timepiece).

If you own any watches over $1k, you'd be crazy not to have them insured.

9. Sculler22 Apr 24, 2017

Scheduled on my homeowner's policy for all risks, zero deductible.

10. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 25, 2017

Yay for fellow tintin owners! The watch deserves more love.

11. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Apr 25, 2017

I am going to visit an insurance company soon for this reason and hope it can be done.

12. oneover May 5, 2017

All of mine are insured with Jeweler's Mutual, they have better rates than attaching to my homes owners policy for actual value with zero deductible. I also read a lot of positive reviews about them and my AD also endorsed them. For me it's a peace of mind issue.

13. CleverUserName07 May 5, 2017

+1 for jewelers mutual - they are a respectable company for these sorts of things. As mentioned earlier, paying an annual premium of 1-2% of the insured value with zero deductible is fairly standard. Or, adding on to your homeowners policy with a personal articles floater is common as well. That should provide similar pricing / coverage.

Source: worked in the insurance industry for 10 years.

14. paneristi000 May 5, 2017

I went through the process in the past. While I was researching the Jewelers Mutual, I found more horror stories than good ones.

I have no experience with the company but I just found too many negative stories around their claim settlement process. I decided to go with my homeowners policy. Premium should be around 1% of the insured value. Good luck.

15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 5, 2017

My homeowners has a $5k aggregate cap on jewelry, so I took out a specific contract with the same company for a few specified pieces.
    Paying about .75% per year but they do require an appraisal for each piece over $5k.
    Never had a claim so not sure how it would go but I do sleep a little better.

16. danicycle May 5, 2017

I use Jewelers Mutual as well.

17. M'Bob May 5, 2017

What if Kim Kardashian bet her ass...and lost?

KstateSkier likes this.
  18. frazierspa May 5, 2017

I currenty insure two watches through my USAA Renters (Valuable Personal Property Rider) Insurance policy.
    Watch 1 value: $7,800
    Watch 2 value: $12,400
    Total value: $20,200
    Total Full Replacement coverage is $172/annually
    St
    PS I live in Wash. DC

Edited May 5, 2017
    67ViP likes this.
  19. sgtpry May 5, 2017

Just wondering,

- does Renters/Home Owners Insurance cover lost while traveling overseas? Recently somebody got his uber rare under-line gilt 5512 (or 5513?) pick-pocketed in Denmark... terrible

- does Renters/Home Owners Insurance cover repair with our own choice of watchmaker/jeweler?

I checked Jewelers Mutual website, seems those are their strong points

20. N1CK May 5, 2017

Can anyone in the UK recommend any standalone watch insurance (ie: not as an addition to house/contents insurance)?

nonuffinkbloke likes this.