Forums Latest Members

Has anyone ever fitted a 552 mvt in a case made for a 562?

1. Horologist Mar 27, 2019

Greetings gentlemen!

I don't post often as I usually find my answers (which are usually if technical nature) in the archives.

This time I had to post in a long time in the hope that someone that works with these calibers may assist me. I am skilled enough to change dials, mainsprings,crystals etc as I used to work in a jeweller, even for limited remedies!

I have an old GP on brass seamaster caliber 552 with reference 165.002 which is one of the most common non date models from the late 1950's to late 1969's. I have been looking for a replacement case for quite some time as s the old one is beyond feasible repair with case worn at the lug holes and the sides totally eaten out from wear over the years where dust can creep in.

I usually come across lots of per owned 166.002 SS cases for £30 to £50 from local sources, but I am aware that they are for the date version models with 562 mvts. I know that the 562 is 0.5mm thicker which will put the stem out of alignment if I go this path. This will be for my personal use and not for anyone else so I am happy to accommodate the non date mvt into a date mvt case, if the use of a spacer could do the trick. I don't want to just buy a case and then discover it was in vain! It is not about the £30-50 but would rather leave them on the market for those that might be specifically looking for It as I have never come across to a per owned 165.002 SS case in that price bracket, any feedback on the 166.002 case would be appreciated with thanks!

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 27, 2019

Yes, you can fit a 552 from a 165.002 into a 166.002 case without any problems.
    If the case back of 165.002 is still good, you can swap it to the new case and everything will be "original".