Forums Latest Members
  1. A J Aug 4, 2019

John Harwood invented the self-winding watch in the 1920s. The movement is the forerunner of the Omega "Bumper" movement. Harwood had difficulty getting a manufacturer to make his watches until Fortis agreed to make them. Another interesting development Harwood incorporated in his watch was the lack of a crown. Harwood tried to eliminate dust from the interior of the watch by removing one of the weak points i.e the crown stem. To indicate the method of altering the hands, I've created a short video. On the dial of the watch is a red spot that indicates that the alteration clutch is disengaged. The bezel is rotated in the direction you want the hands to move and after alteration is complete, the bezel is rotated in the opposite direction until the red spot appears again. The creaking noise is from the leather strap.

jjen, Professor, DaveK and 11 others like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 4, 2019

Vitezi likes this.
  3. Vitezi Aug 4, 2019

4. Canuck Aug 4, 2019

Abraham Louis Perrelet was reportedly the one who invented the auto wind watch. A pocket watch design based on the pedometer. This was circa 1777, long before Harwood’s involvement with the automatic wind wrist watch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham-Louis_Perrelet

KingCrouchy and A J like this.
  5. A J Aug 4, 2019

I guess I should have said "wristwatch". ;)

6. KingCrouchy Aug 4, 2019

Very cool mechanism, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

A J likes this.
  7. wsfarrell Aug 4, 2019

That is way cool.

A J likes this.
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 4, 2019

Well that's neato!

Thanks!

A J likes this.
  9. omegastar Aug 5, 2019

= Total BS
    http://www.horlogerie-suisse.com/technique/les-complications/origine-des-automatiques

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 5, 2019

Damn Wikipedia... yes Perrelet invented an automatic winding system. It was inefficient and as a result it was difficult to get enough energy into the system to keep it running. It had a hanging weight within the pocketwatch, like a pendulum, so it only worked well if the watch was worn upright. If it fell over in your pocket you didn’t get enough, or any, movement. It also required a lot of movement. Unlike a wrist watch, which is on your arm and moving a lot, this thing was in your pocket and moved a lot less as a result... not at all if you were at a desk or working standing still where the arm could still be quite busy. So it didn’t do very well at all.

I’ve got a picture of the silly thing somewhere, I’ll see if I can dig it up.

So @Canuck is correct when he says Perrelet is credited with inventing the automatic winding system.

Hardwood made a far more efficient system.

Edited Aug 5, 2019
    KingCrouchy and A J like this.
  11. Canuck Aug 5, 2019

12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 5, 2019

13. omegastar Aug 6, 2019

Of course !
    No, I just come from Belgium like Hubert Sarton...

If you want to know more you can read this book : The Origins Of self-Winding WaTches 1773 - 1779 by Richard Watkins
    « The Perrelet myth is a good example. In 1952 Chapuis & Jaquet made an almost certain statement based on a fallacy. And since then many writers have repeated this statement as though it was a fact. But almost no one, including Sabrier, bothered to check the validity of the original statement and reassess the evidence. And so a myth was created, the myth that Perrelet invented the rotor watch.
    One of the fascinating aspects of this myth is its complete dominance; nearly every writer who mentions self-winding watches comments on the Perrelet myth and nothing else. Even more surprising is that the “expert” books on the subject (by Chapuis & Jaquet and Sabrier) are also satisfied with this one myth and fail to study the other designs and people adequately. Indeed, the book you are reading is the first attempt to create a coherent history.
    Unfortunately, I expect many people will ignore my views.
    Like most myths, the Perrelet myth will endure. People writing general books on watches and watch making will continue to rely on “experts” and other books for their information, and the overwhelming majority of these sources repeat the Perrelet myth. And so it will be reproduced time and time again.
    But at least the discerning reader now has an alternative view. »

A J likes this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 6, 2019

Do I detect some Nationalistic pride in the defence of Hubert?

;)

I too was under the impression that ALP was the original inventor of the automatic watch, probably due to the fact that the myth, as you say, has been perpetuated by so many "experts" et al.

Thanks to an Aussie researcher/author this myth has now been exposed (in so far as what I've read so far). I managed to download a copy of Watkin's book from the Australian National Library and will absorb it over the next week or so.

This book are also available here:

http://www.watkinsr.id.au/Origins.html

Note that this provides the second edition from 2016 so is the preferred reference.

Edited Aug 6, 2019
  15. omegastar Aug 6, 2019

Do I detect some Nationalistic pride in the defence of Hubert?

;)

Of course ! We invented fries and they are called French fries !

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 6, 2019

Oh how the Belgians have been denied their true place in the history of watches and chips.........

We need to get Hercule Poirot to sort this all out!

Mouse_at_Large and omegastar like this.
  17. A J Aug 6, 2019

I only placed this post here as another thread was being hijacked with talk of winding automatic movements. I never expected it to turn into an international incident. ;)

BTW Chips are English. :D

omegastar likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 6, 2019

OK.

Back on track.

Harwood_BH.JPG

Vitezi, SeanO, Ritzwatch and 2 others like this.
  19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 6, 2019

Back off topic Bruges has a Friet Museum (Chip Museum). Photographic proof below :p

P080709_10.30.jpg