Forums Latest Members
  1. WatchVaultNYC Jul 23, 2016

As a backgrounder, many of you know that aside from collecting watches, one of the businesses I run and own sells watches. Most of my collection (excluding sentimentals, and humble as compared to many here) is also for sale and on my online catalog, as my policy has always been "everything is for sale at the right price"

Here is my dilemma. I have been offered quite a handsome price for this 7016. As far as my research goes, it's completely period-correct, probably unpolished, with an original dial which has developed a parchment patina that has to be seen to be believed. The bubbling is par for the course for this model and year, and frankly invisible unless you zoom up close. Bracelet is also period correct.

Like I said previously, "everything has a price", and that price usually means "replacement price" i.e. how much would I have to spend to get something like this if I have sellers remorse. The trouble is, there is frankly nothing else in the usual venues as of now. Chrono24, Ebay, Watchrecon all turn up blank for an equivalent. Either dial has been redone, or bracelet is not correct, or service hands, bezel, crown etc, or it isn't blue.

Part of me is thinking "you found this after just a year of searching, this will come up again at the right price".

The other part is thinking "remember that vintage SM300 you sold? You ain't buying another one of those at the price you sold yours if you changed your mind"

So as a collector, if faced with a similar situation, what would you do and why?

[​IMG]

Lonestar and juju like this.
  2. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jul 23, 2016

I truly have no idea.....but I'm in the wings if you need me! :D

3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 23, 2016

What is up with pic, looks super washed out.

If you love it, then keep it, all depends on how you feel about it. You can always flip later down the road.

The snowflake has never really doneed much for me, but I would not turn one down at a good price.

blubarb likes this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 23, 2016

Photo filter.
    1- Do you need the money immediately?, if not,
    2-Will it continue to gain in value and how easily can you sell it at a later date?
    3- Is it a watch you like or is it just collecting dust in a drawer?
    4- If not a watch you like and is just an investment flip with refer to questions 1 and 2
    5- If it is a watch you like then keep liking it until you find something you like better....then you are motivated to sell and you have a price target to meet.

I believe if you answer all these in order and honestly you will have your answer.

Lonestar, Dash1, blubarb and 4 others like this.
  5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 23, 2016

Is it me, or does that dial look like Manuel Noriega? Reminds of those atrocious Ploprof dials that have "patina" akin to a piling at a fishing pier.

Case looks awesome for sure.

If you have a willing buyer at a great number, I would hop all over it.

Personally, I would not want a dial with moisture damage like that, but some people love it. To each their own.

blubarb likes this.
  6. dx009 Jul 23, 2016

Go crazy, buy it and see what happens. #YOLO :whistling:

7. Furze Jul 23, 2016

if it was up to me, I would keep until something else catches your eye, and if nothing comes up that you want more, then keep it. don't think you're find it that difficult to move on.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  8. WatchVaultNYC Jul 23, 2016

I definitely like it, and potential to appreciate is almost certain. But it hardly gets worn. The problem with that is sometimes it just takes the right strap for a watch to quickly make it into my rotation.

This Flightmaster for example, unworn and unloved until I put on a rally strap. Wear it a lot now... though sometimes I try to be more careful with it because the sunburst finish is pretty fresh looking and it easily gets marred.

[​IMG]

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Edited Jul 23, 2016
    Lonestar and ahartfie like this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 23, 2016

I'd sell the OP watch.
    The dial is too damaged. And it is damage, not patina.
    These Blue Snows are definitely much more expensive than last year, but I suspect the big rise is mostly passed. However they seem coveted by many of Mrs Fruit's friends when she wears one.
    Some blue dials seem bluer than others
    P7290003-001.jpg

Syrte, bazamu, gemini4 and 5 others like this.
  10. WatchVaultNYC Jul 23, 2016

I think the level of zoom, the lighting, and the post photo processing (OP picture was for instagram) exaggerates the dial bubbling. At similar zoom, lighting, and no processing it's hardly visible, definitely when on the wrist.

Also date 7021s more available than no-date 7016. If I could actually find a better condition 7016 I'd sell this one.. if I could find one!

snowflake.png
    Edited Jul 23, 2016
  11. juju Jul 23, 2016

That case is unbelievable. The early snowflake dials almost always bubble, and to me this one is definitely ok. The roughed up lume and dial actually pair well I think. You probably won't find one in better condition, I would not sell that!

RawArcher likes this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 23, 2016

Just so you all know how little I know, I didnt notice the OP watch was no date, and after a quick bit of research I realize it is rare.

I also did not know that the bubbling was common on this reference, in which case it would not stop me owning it.

I would therefore keep it, until (if ever) a better one comes.

As has been pointed out the case is amazing

Baz9614, blubarb and RawArcher like this.
  13. Edward53 Jul 23, 2016

I'm fairly new to watch collecting, but I've collected other things (mostly arms, armour and militaria) for many years and during that time I've learned certain principles, usually the hard way. One of those principles is, if in two minds about selling and you don't need the money, don't sell. I presume you really like this piece or you wouldn't be torn. I have some extremely rare pieces in my other collections and I wouldn't sell them if I were offered double their worth, as I know from experience they are irreplaceable. For instance, I can't replace these with equivalents of the same quality:
    24 May 2012 024.jpg 24 May 2012 030.jpg
    But I should add: 1. I'm a collector and have never been a dealer so can't quite put myself in your shoes. I've always resisted dealing as friends who've gone into it have ended up seeing everything as potential profit, which is a mindset I didn't want to get into. 2. If however someone offered me the sort of massive, overwhelming price for my other collection(s) that would make a substantial difference to my life, it'd be difficult to say no.

Larry S, noelekal and ahartfie like this.
  14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 23, 2016

The other pic looks great, and I am with @Spacefruit, if that dial condition is acceptable, I would keep it...it is much easier to sell than to buy on watches like those.

Syrte likes this.
  15. omegastar Jul 23, 2016

If you like it and if you have the culture of niceness, somebody else will probably also like it when you will be selling it.
    But how much you should pay and sell, that's up to the dealer to know.

16. Uniqez Jul 23, 2016

OMG, I want one so bad.
    Do not sell, because you will never find exactly the same watch. As all of us know: You can't find two look alike vintage watches. You might be able to find something better, but might NOT...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

17. Euxinus Jul 23, 2016

I think just by making this thread you know the answer. I would keep it if you like it now, because you will like it even more when it's gone! Like many things in life you don't truly appreciate what you had until it's gone.

quito and Uniqez like this.
  18. blubarb Jul 23, 2016

What I do is follow my rule: if in doubt do nothing. if I am torn, as Edward says, there is usually a good reason for that, and more often than not it's a part of me fighting against pragmatism. I trust my gut feel these days, it's something telling me not to rush in. Anyway, replacement value is meaningless if you can't find an equivalent replacement.

Edited Jul 23, 2016
    Mad Cow likes this.
  19. JohnSteed Jul 23, 2016

+ 1. Yup

20. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 23, 2016

These are not uber-rare, but moreso than other snowflake references.

The "dial rot" is notorious and more common than not on the 7016, so the OP's example is quite typical.

Not attractive to me, I'd be a seller for sure.

blubarb and Mad Cow like this.