Forums Latest Members

Happy with Speedmasters, But Feelings About Rolex Daytona's? A Joy To Own?

1. Unwound Oct 3, 2014

I'm considering a newer Rolex Daytona, never owned one and would love to hear some feedback from those of you that are also speedmaster lovers.

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 3, 2014

Define "newer". As long as it has the de-tuned el Primero movement, you're OK. (16xxx not 116xxx)

3. Unwound Oct 3, 2014

Stewart,

Please provide some insight if you can, the newer movement sounds good but that's why I'm asking for feed back I really do not know enough,
    like mostly nothing.

Thank you

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 3, 2014

Ignoring the early, manual wind movements that fetch big money, Rolex used the Zenith el Primero automatic movement in the Daytona up until 2000. This is recognised as one of, if not, the best automatic chronograph movements ever built. They removed the date complication because it could not be shown at 3 o'clock, with dial sizes of the period and reduced the beat rate from 36,000 vph to (I think) 28,800 vph, by changing the balance, to make servicing easier for their network. The values of the pre and post 2000 examples demonstrate the market's perception of the superior movement when compared to the post 2000, in-house movement.

François Boucher and JohnSteed like this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 3, 2014

mods - exactly how many characters are we limited to in a thread title? ::stirthepot::

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 3, 2014

If you name is more than 10 letters, it's 5 words - any length :D

Icaras, Fusion and citizenrich like this.
  7. repoman Oct 3, 2014

Daytona's do nothing for me. Speedmaster is my choice of chronograph.

Archer likes this.
  8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 3, 2014

I've owned 3 Daytonas, in fact my local UK AD has just asked me if I want the 2014 black dial version. I picked it up to flip and it took 3 days to shift. In all honesty, I would take a speedy any day of the week.

Nice watch but every time I looked at mine I couldn't justify the cost! UK £8900 and us $12000 plus us tax! When you compare that to the Darkside of the Moon I know which one I would rather own any day of the week!

I genuinely think Rolex has not come up with anything innovative in the last five years as opposed to Omega.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 4, 2014

Modern Daytonas do not appeal to me at all, but that goes for most modern Rolex watches...

persco, Dogmann, Icaras and 1 other person like this.
  10. timeismoney Oct 4, 2014

+1 on that. Too much unnecessary bling.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 4, 2014

I've got Speedys, an El Primero and a Daytona and of the three the Daytona is my favourite daily wear piece.

Of all my watches the Daytona is the most special and probably the most valuable, partly because the original owner is a former world champion Formula 1 racing driver with a long connection to Rolex, and unlike the average Rolex which is bought from an AD, this one was requisitioned for free and is stamped by Rolex on the papers.

We've actually got three 116520 SS Daytonas in the family, my brother and his wife both wear one as well. The movement is absolutely superb, the 72 hour power reserve is great for weekends, you can take it off friday and put it back on monday without having lost any time, its thin, actually noticeably thinner than a Speedmaster Pro which is not a thick watch itself.

The bracelet on the Daytona is the first of the great Rolex bracelets, the easy link system that allows you to pop out some extra length on a hot day is a life saver and the micro adjust and link adjustment is easy and precise. The low profile of the watch fits under a cuff nicely and it sits low to the wrist and doesn't snag on anything. The dial is really easy to read and the sub seconds at 6 makes it look really balanced. Having the 1680 sub to compare it to, it just feels like a superior watch in every way to the old Rolexes, like they really put more effort into everything from the bracelet to the case and pushers to the standard of finish on the dial.

My sister in law's is a bit sad but she wore it for 12 years (it was one of the first in-house Daytonas sold) and in that time she continued to go swimming in salt water, often with the crown out no less for all of these 12 years with no service or seal change until the rust in the movement finally stopped it in its tracks three months ago. My watchmaker in Brisbane removed the rust and got it back on its feet again without any parts needing to be replaced but now the dial looks like one of those cream dial Explorer 2s from the 1990s, no visible corrosion or damage but an even ivory patina to the originally white dial.

JohnSteed and Fusion like this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 4, 2014

Was never a fan of the Daytona myself. Speedmaster for me by a mile.

13. Fusion Oct 4, 2014

Never owned a nice chrono yet. Good thread.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 4, 2014

Some pics, since every thread needs pics:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Fusion Oct 4, 2014

Nice pics dsio, what's your opinion on the pushers? (Omega vs Rolex)

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 5, 2014

No preference either way really, the Daytona's pushers require you to unscrew them but its not really an inconvenience, and if you leave them unscrewed its not a problem either as it doesn't actually effect the water resistance, the only reason they're screwdown is to immobilise the pushers and prevent them being actuated while underwater.

It is a 100M water resistant oyster case that you can swim with any day without fear of damage (provided seals are fresh), which is another reason why I wear it so often, in a tropical climate like Australia there's heat, humidity and rain and you don't want to be caught in a downpour while wearing a 105.002 straight lug Speedy, or even worse a Cal 320 with non-dustproof square pushers. That's part of why I like it so much, its a "go anywhere" every day kind of watch, very attractive, great power reserve, superbly accurate both with the chrono running and stopped, a vertical clutch design so you can leave it running without too much concern, thin, water resistant, well balanced, great clasp and bracelet etc etc.

Its not a Speedmaster Pro, it can't fill that slot, and doesn't try to, but as a modern sports chronograph on an objective basis it excels in almost every area and I think even if you're a vintage guy you need at least one good modern watch in your rotation to be that water resistant, reliable piece

JohnSteed, Alex_TA and Fusion like this.
  17. Icaras Oct 6, 2014

Have you taken a look at the Tudor Big Block and the later Oysterdates? If you don't care about movements they are all good watches with the look of the older daytonas at a fair price point. They still got that "tooly" feeling, the newer daytonas seems to be leaning more at dress watches than actual tool watches.... To me they lost their charm :).

Check ref. 792x0 and 791x0 (replace x with 6,7 or 8)

Fusion likes this.
  18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 6, 2014

Modern Rolex Daytona's are girls watches.

certainly in Hong Kong

especially gold ones, and on metal bracelets.

i can't remember the last time I saw a man wear one.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2014

Scroll up :D

Fusion and epl108 like this.
  20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 6, 2014

goodness those girls have hairy arms!

i wasn't casting aspersions, just saying what is happening in HK.

Icaras likes this.