Forums Latest Members

Hanging art, vs. wearable, writable, drivable...

1. M'Bob May 12, 2018

For the sake of discussion, let's agree for the moment that while watches, fountain pens, and cars may not be art, per se, they at least have some artistic elements. We'll save an in-depth look at that issue for another day.

We are all aware that paintings and drawings can bring some insane hammer prices, reflecting significant global interest. And while there's an initially a high-level of stimulus for me for the modest hanging art I've acquired, as I find some nuance in the composition that makes me gander at it repeatedly in the short-term, I find that fairly quickly, I lose my enthusiasm, and years later, give each piece only an occasional glance. I can never return to the honeymoon phase.

Not so with watches, cars, and pens, though. I continue to get a kick out of them, and if I don't use them for a while, and fire one of them up, I can almost get the same buzz I got when I initially purchased them.

I know what you're thinking: not a fair comparison. Art hangs; watches, pens, and cars have utility. That notwithstanding, this is my point: if you have a finite amount of money to spend on an object to enjoy, where do you put your money? Where do you get the most juice from the squeeze? Excluding boobs or glutes...

2. hanky6 May 12, 2018

Hanging art...
    Boobs....

3. M'Bob May 12, 2018

image.jpeg

hanky6 likes this.
  4. jimmyd13 May 12, 2018

This might be where I have to return my membership card... last year I made a big purchase: a 2998. I thought it was something I had wanted for years; I thought it was something I yearned for; I thought it would be on my wrist and in my eyeline for decades to come. I don't wear it much at all now. It doesn't call out to me.

Also last year, I picked up two mid-century oils: a french post impressionist cafe scene and a bathing nude. I find myself staring at those each time I catch a glimpse of them.

The artwork was probably a tenth the cost of the watch.

Now, that said, I do find myself staring at many other of my watches when I wear them ... so who knows?

M'Bob likes this.
  5. MaiLollo May 12, 2018

Every Ferrari produced in the 1960's (62 GTO, 250 SWB and 275 GTB would be the heavy hitters of the lot) and one of every Speedmaster model produced.

M'Bob likes this.