Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. CrisROSE

CrisROSE Jul 16, 2016

i recently bought my first Omega, a vintage MkII, which I love!

I've since realised that the 3 hands are new service items, clearly Lumed rather than the original Tritium that's on the dial.

So, should I replace them with tritium ones? If so, how do I go about finding some? What should I be paying?

Thanks

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Lonestar likes this.
  2. Donn Chambers

Donn Chambers Jul 16, 2016

That really depends on what you like. First, even if you can find old tritium hands, the very fact that the hands have already been replaced means this watch is not "all original." If you like the aged look, and don't mind loosing the luminosity of the new hands, then by all means, try to find a pair and replace them. I have no idea where to look, except on eBay. The other option is to get a replacement dial to match the new hands. Cheapest option is keep it the way it is.

Personally, in this situation, I'd probably get a new dial to match the current hands, and swap it out during the next service. They are easier to find, will be in better condition, and then you have the full luminosity at night. But that's me. I don't like clocks beside my bed and rely on my watch for the time in the middle of the night.

3. vinn2

vinn2 Jul 16, 2016

is titanium a problem like radium? i don't think so, but it is desirable on dials and gun sights. vinn

4. Donn Chambers

Tritium isn't a problem like radium (as long as it's under the crystal and you don't just carry it unprotected against your skin for hours on end), but you can't get new tritium dials/hands. The half-life of tritium is ~12 years, and the last tritium replacement hands were made in the 80s/early 90s, 25+ years ago. At best, you'd have 25% of the original luminosity, and probably closer to 10% or less. I have one tritium watch (a mid 70s flight master). You can stimulate a glow with a UV light, but it fades quickly.

If you really want a glow to last all night that you can see at 4 AM in a dark room, you need a new SuperLuminova dial/hands. The only reason the OP would want tritium hands is to match the correct original hands and the dial.

5. vinn2

vinn2 Jul 16, 2016

good news, thank you Donn! i guess its a alpha vs. gamma ray thing, ive had enough radation. how good is this "super luminova" stuff?, worth scraping the tritium off hands. ? vinn

6. CrisROSE

CrisROSE Jul 16, 2016

all good points, i am impressed with the hand lume and i will be sending it to STS for a service and case finishing.

how much is a service dial?

7. cmdumond

cmdumond Jul 16, 2016

I don't know much about Omegas other than what I am learning here. I do know you do not want to scrape radioactive lume off watch hands the way one would with nonradioactive paint. Tritium is mostly harmless unless you get it in your eyes, lungs, mouth, etc.

8. Donn Chambers

+1 to this. The dust is toxic. You can paint old hands (which looks like crap unless you are a pro) or by new replacement hands. The second method is much safer.

9. Donn Chambers

I bet you could find one for sell on eBay. That will give you a ballpark figure.

10. Slevin kelevra

Slevin kelevra Jul 16, 2016

Is the dial original? If so then you would be mad to change it on behalf of service hands! STS should be able to age the current hands to be more in keeping with the dial or you should be able to find vintage hands and get STS to fit them.

Not sure about anyone else but unless the original dial was wrecked I would never replace it, never mind for a service dial. Unless you want to deliberately reduce the value of your watch that is.

Good luck !

wsfarrell, Davidt and oddboy like this.
  11. Euxinus

Euxinus Jul 16, 2016

I agree with @Slevin kelevra , you would be mad for replacing the original dial with a service dial. I personally would look for tritium hands on ebay until I found some good condition / not crazy price ones and swap them out. I care about originality more than how bright the lume is!

12. Davidt

Davidt Jul 16, 2016

Changing that dial for a new service replacement is a ridiculous idea.

It's a vintage watch and should have a vintage dial. I'd probably just get STS to artificially age the hands.

wsfarrell likes this.
  13. Nactex

Nactex Jul 17, 2016

If you like the bright luminosity, you could replace the dial and keep the original dial in case you sell down the road. If you don't care about brightness, then keep the original and have the hands aged and make them not as bright. It is all personal preference. Very nice watch by the way.

14. CrisROSE

CrisROSE Jul 17, 2016

Thanks for the input guys, I partly went for this watch because the dial and hands looked so good :)