Forums Latest Members
  1. 267 Jun 28, 2018

This is a question maybe best suited to any watchmaker we have on board, or anyone else who's been in a similar position.

I have a cal 267 movement needing a minute hand, and have been searching for a genuine original for long time to no avail. But as a temporary solution, I have been able to find a really good alternative pack of nos aftermarket hands, correct lume shape and everything, visibly they're a great match.

The catch is, the hole size is not the 0.75 it should be, but instead I have a choice of either 0.70, 0.80 or 0.90. From a watchmakers' point of view, do you think 0.80 would be the ones to go for for the 0.75 tube? Would making it fit be a challenge or difficult to do?

I have no experience of trying to use anything other the factory correct size, so I'd love to hear opinions.

PS I know the Omega original would be 100 times better, sadly my long quest for the OGs has been fruitless

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 28, 2018

Too big is too big, you'll need to make the hole larger on the .070, typically done with a hand broaching tool, opening the hole to .075.

Really something that should be left to a watchmaker.

267 likes this.
  3. 267 Jun 28, 2018

For sure, this is definitely something I intend to have done by a watchmaker. In the OP I was meaning if it would be a challenge for watchmaker to carry out.

0.70 it is then! Thanks for the advice

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 28, 2018

No, not a challenge at all as fitting hands that don't necessarily fit is a common thing - just fitted a sweep seconds hand 5 minutes ago that didn't really fit out of the box. Opening up a hand is typically easier than closing it up, but both can be done...to a degree.

marco and 267 like this.
  5. 267 Jun 28, 2018

Good news this is a common thing, just what I wanted to hear because frankly otherwise I was all out of options.
    Good to know too for future reference that larger hands could be used in certain instances (even if in my case opening up the .70 hand will make the most sense).

6. 267 Jun 28, 2018

@Archer while you're here, there is another subtle difference with this pesky aftermarket hand.
    The factory original hand has curvature towards the edge of the dial (as with other 30mm Omega movement min hands as you've obviously come across), but annoyingly the aftermarket replacement is dead straight. Is re-forming hand shape a thing at all, ie bending the tip, or is this something that's best to just live with?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 28, 2018

Again common thing to do. Most Omega hands don't come curved, so they have to be adjusted in situ...

marco and 267 like this.