Forums Latest Members

Hand falling off Speedy sub-dial

1. me1969 Mar 26, 2021

Question for the group;
    What would cause a hand to fall off of a sub-dial?
    I just bought this Speedmaster last week from a highly regarded private dealer and this happened a day later.
    When I emailed him to tell him about the hand falling off I made no attempt to hide how disgusted I was.
    He claimed to be embarrassed and was more than apologetic. He offered to have his watchmaker fix it for free and threw in several incentives to make up for it, he then sent me $100 to overnight it back to him.
    He has a watchmaker on staff so I sent it back to him immediately.
    He just emailed me to tell me that his watchmaker said the hand falling off the dial was caused by depressing both pushers at the same time.
    I would like to state that I have never depressed both pushers on any watch I own or have owned, I certainly wouldn't do it with a Speedmaster.
    He's still going to repair it at no cost but I was absolutely shocked that he would say that.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thank you

20210321_144933.jpg
  2. JwRosenthal Mar 26, 2021

Ummm- bullshit. Pushing both can lock up the watch and bungle the works, but pop a hand off?!?! Sounds like their in-house watchmaker didn’t put it back on properly and is trying to cover his ass.
    And furthermore, he should have just not said anything to you about it- that’s just tacky to turn it on the customer like that.

3. gbesq Mar 27, 2021

Agree with JwRosenthal. The dealer's excuse makes no sense. That being said, it's not that unusual for a subdial hand to become loose, misaligned or to fall off. That happened to me on a 1976 Speedy that I used to own -- and more than once. If the dealer's watchmaker repairs it properly and you are otherwise happy with the watch, I would move on.

Edited Mar 27, 2021
    me1969 and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2021

Ideally you don’t want bits to fall off, but hopefully it’ll be fine after it comes back.

NGO1, Duracuir1, me1969 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Donn Chambers Mar 27, 2021

There’s a reason Omega generally replaces all the hands during a service — because it’s faster than trying to correct slight imperfections to the hole on the hands in order to seat them properly. Clearly, the seller of the watch saved money in whatever “service” they performed, used the original hands, and did not make sure they were set properly.

I would either ask for a full refund, or else money back and then get it serviced myself.

me1969 likes this.
  6. Dan S Mar 27, 2021

It seems that the seller bungled his opportunity to provide you with a good experience with that unnecessary silly comment about pressing both pushers. Some people just can't get out of their own way. That said, I would focus more on the actions and just try to ignore that comment. In the end, you will get the watch back, fully repaired, for the price you agreed to pay. And hopefully you will have many years of enjoyment from it. Really you are buying the watch, not the seller.

Duracuir1 and me1969 like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 27, 2021

Not sure who their watchmaker is, but giving you this reason about pressing both pushers makes zero technical sense.

It may be the watchmaker trying to get out of taking responsibility.

me1969 likes this.
  8. Canuck Mar 27, 2021

Since the watch has gone back to the seller, maybe ask for a refund!

me1969 likes this.