Forums Latest Members

Hand dryers and vintage watches

1. Hattrick Apr 19, 2018

An odd one , i know, but i keep thinking about it .
    So , do you think the blow from the dryer can get water or dust inside a serviced vintage watch? Some of the models can easily leave my skin smooth(without hair)..
    Do you avoid using them?
    I am just curious.
    Thank you

Edited Apr 19, 2018
  2. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 19, 2018

An odd one yes, but maybe a serious risk to a watch with original pushers and crown. I think the main issue is that the crown and pushers on a vintage watch are facing toward your hands, and the dIrection of the water and air. If we are talking public toilets here, those uncontrollable water taps are likely to drown the watch long before you get near the dryer. I always slip my watch safely into my pocket first.

Foo2rama and Hattrick like this.
  3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 19, 2018

But the transfer of watch from wrist to pocket over a tiled bathroom floor is also fraught with risk. Some oaf shuffles by as you're making the switch, clips your elbow and SMASH. Or some washroom thug notices the fuss you're making over your fancy watch and knocks you over the head for it. I say carry your own hand sanitizer to avoid the wind and water and other nasty hazards of the public loo.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 19, 2018

I don't wash my hands in public toilets.
    I kick the door open (or push it with my foot).
    I only touch my own dick during the evolution.
    I use paper towel to open the door if I can't tailgate somebody else.

shishy, Kmart, Bumper and 18 others like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 19, 2018

I go the paper option.

See it as my way of supporting lumberjacks

The real lumberjacks not the mung bean ones below

image.jpeg

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 19, 2018

Tailgate someone in a public toilet. Please @JimInOz never use that statement again it doesn't mean what you think it does.

kkt, Kmart, Don Bocadillo and 12 others like this.
  7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 19, 2018

This is the way to do it. Normal urine is sterile, after all, and at least you know where your dick has been. Everything else in a public toilet is best presumed to be filth.

Hattrick likes this.
  8. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 19, 2018

Yes, I must confess, you have a point there @MMMD . Also If like me you are over the age of 60, and things have become 'a little less precise', there is an additional risk: Pissing in your own pocket!::shy::

9. Hattrick Apr 19, 2018

Happened to me a couple of times..

Edited Apr 19, 2018
    MMMD likes this.
  10. Davidt Apr 19, 2018

When wearing a vintage watch I prefer not to drink so as to alleviate the need to piss.

I also forego wearing a top/shirt/sweater in case the cuff scratches the crystal or bezel.

I've been arrested twice for wandering around topless in a dehydration induced haze but my watch was spotless.

One can't be too careful.

11. Hattrick Apr 19, 2018

Hilarious,
    Tailgating is illegal here

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 19, 2018

I think there's another word for following somebody through a door, couldn't think of it.

I learn't at the mature age of 17 years, that in a public toilet or a multi head shower block (never been nude in a gym), that you didn't get frivolous or even look at anybody else below chest line. Not the done thing old chap.

And I'm sure that if anybody wanted to tailgate in our shower block when up to a dozen blokes were abluting all they would get would be a smack in the kisser.

nonuffinkbloke and Hattrick like this.
  13. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Apr 19, 2018

Am I the only one that only dries my palm side after washing my hands in a public loo. Leave the tops to dry in the fresh air and let all your worries about your watch drift away;)

MMMD and Hattrick like this.
  14. Davidt Apr 19, 2018

You don't know what you're missing!!

IMG_2326.JPG

nonuffinkbloke and Hattrick like this.
  15. Hattrick Apr 19, 2018

Oh , dear me ,
    I've been doing it wrong all my life

16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 19, 2018

I was watching football in the pub last week. At half time, while taking a pee, a bloke next to me ( at the 'piss trough') starts chatting.:eek:

He says: "So... how do you see this one finishing?" "I said: "I'll have a chat, in the bar, when we ain't got our 'knobs' out mate":mad:

kkt, Nathan1967, Wivac and 1 other person like this.
  17. Hattrick Apr 19, 2018

Yep, that's me every Saturday morning.
    Great fun

18. Hattrick Apr 19, 2018

I think this happens more often than anyone wishes

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 19, 2018

Was at the cricket at the SCG in Sydney early 90s with a few team mates. Went for a slash after a few dozen beers with a fellow rugby player front rower that was a solid and tall as you could be in the day. Mark Hartil was there also.
    Walking into the men's toilets to a row of three 100ft plus troth that were full with people waiting, ( the moment the one day teams swap when everyone goes for a leak ) he claps his hands as loud as he could and we watched 20 plus guys turn quickly and piss on the leg of the bloke next to them. If it hadn't been for Hartil calming a few down it would have been a huge punch on. Have to say it was one of the funniest things happening and 5 minutes after it happened. Don't think anyone washed there hands in those days

Kmart, Dre, MMMD and 5 others like this.
  20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 19, 2018

SCG toilets (the p1ss troughs) had that "special odour", not quite as eye stinging as the old earthenware ones at the MCG, but close.