Forums Latest Members

Hand Built In America? - Exposé of Ginault Watch Brand

1. COYI Jul 6, 2019

redpcar, JPE.88305, byunjoe and 16 others like this.
  2. ext1 Jul 7, 2019

I really enjoyed this read, and also the other exposé this author has done. They were long reads but very good.

It really makes my opinion of WUS even worse, wow. The admins there are basically running organized crime.

It was also a reminder that everything we do leaves traces, and lies will always be found out.

With that reminder it makes me really realize that a place like OF is a really special place, and that's why members really stay vigilant to protect what's worth protecting.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 7, 2019

ext1 and KingCrouchy like this.
  4. Edward53 Jul 7, 2019

I found that to be a fascinating read with worrying implications that go way beyond the fake watch business.

CameronD likes this.
  5. WatchCor Jul 7, 2019

Wau, a good and a terrifying read at the same time. I didn't check all the sources and links the article provided but assuming they're legit it's an impressive piece of investigative journalism.

6. CaptainWinsor Jul 7, 2019

After reading through that I really have to question the integrity of the people running WUS where I’m also a member but rarely visit since moving here

JwRosenthal likes this.
  7. Stufflers Mom Jul 7, 2019

I nodded off after about 5 mins and I've decided I can't be arsed reading anymore.

89-0 and Darlinboy like this.
  8. wristpirate Jul 7, 2019

Great read. Much better than a novel

9. Muddlerminnow Jul 7, 2019

Very engaging--and also very fastidious research--much more than your average investigative piece. I think it's important in terms of its implications: while it focuses on one brand in relation to another, it also reveals the extent of the skullduggery going on out there.

wsfarrell likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 7, 2019

I’d not go as far as to disparage NTH and that mod yet.

They might not have known the connection or it could have been fake names on the company.

It’s fully plausible that NTH knew him as a legit maker, and the mod got involved for the government contract aspects as he is a veteran who also assumed there was no ties to the fakes.

larryganz, Caliber561 and Horoticus like this.
  11. wsfarrell Jul 7, 2019

Couple of things that amazed me: (1) Discovering the Wyoming connection---that was DEEP research. (2) The fakers having to use a gun company to machine the proper notches in bezels.

12. petay993 Jul 7, 2019

A fascinating and rewarding read for those who enjoy a deeply researched, forensic investigation.

I should imagine Charles Ginault and/or Thomas Caddell may not have derived quite as much enjoyment as I did though.

Edward53 and flw like this.
  13. CaptainWinsor Jul 7, 2019

Isn’t Wyoming one of those states where people register all sorts of nefarious companies all in one location?

Darlinboy likes this.
  14. wsfarrell Jul 7, 2019

May be true, I hadn't heard that.

15. CaptainWinsor Jul 7, 2019

There was a 60 min piece on one of those states N Dakota Montana or Wyoming where there’s one building in a town that is nothing but a front for ‘registered’ corporations. Basically a large PO Box

CameronD and Foo2rama like this.
  16. valkyrie_rider Jul 8, 2019

I've read it (took a little while, but I was at the DMV waiting so got plenty of time).

Fascinating investigative work and quite troubling that this 'brand' is labeling Chinese watches as 'made in USA'.

I personally dislike homages and would never buy a fake watch.

It is good to see that OF didn't delete this thread, unlike WUS would do.
    :)

17. Joe_A Jul 8, 2019

An interesting read . . .

18. yinzerniner Jul 8, 2019

Favorite part of Montana is how many exotic cars used to be registered there just to evade sales taxes.
    https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-fanciest-and-craziest-cars-registered-in-m-1794538583

But back to the topic from the OP - fantastic deep dive investigation. Would love to see it picked up in some of the other respected watch publications.

Joe_A and Foo2rama like this.
  19. ilayd Jul 8, 2019

Whoa, what a crazy article. That is quite well researched. The biggest red flag for me though is that a company which receives US Defensive Contract funds may be implicated with making Chinese replica watches. Makes you wonder how much they really care about IP law, trade secrets, or in this case military secrets? :cautious:

Edward53, CameronD and JPE.88305 like this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 8, 2019

Lots of small companies get contracted to make one small part. No military security issues.