Forums Latest Members
  1. Marcus Mar 27, 2012

Hi
    I have a 1953 OMEGA Tresor watch I acquired recently and I've noticed that the hands aren't aligned properly. When the watch is at 6 o'clock the hour hand is not pointing at the 6 but a little way past it. I thought this would be the same for every hour, but it appears that as the hour hand gets narer the top of the watch the problem gets less. At 12 o' clock, the hands are almost correct. As the watch goes through 1-2-3-4-5-6 the problem gets progessively worse, then as it goes through 7-8-9-10-11, progressively better. I have to say that the errors are small, but noticeable.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I expect this on a watch of this age?

Many thanks

2. ulackfocus Mar 27, 2012

Oh dear. It's gone defective and is unfixable. You should send it to me for a proper burial.

(which I promise to do after 3 or 4 decades of wearing it)

Maybe something is amiss in the canon pinion? Have a watchmaker take a peek.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2012

I'm ashamed to say I've never even heard of a Tresor, can you post some pics?

4. ulackfocus Mar 27, 2012

It's a manual wind 3 hand with a 30 series caliber.

Tresor.jpg

5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 27, 2012

Hello everybody.

After being serviced, the watchmaker has to align the hands by intalling the hour hand first, pointing it correctly to any indices then install the minute hand pointing at 12 o'clock, then the second hand ....
    If there is a date window, he has to turn the crown until the date click to a new day, stop right there and intall the hour hand pointing at 12 o'clock, move it to 3 o'clock then intall the minute hand pointing at 12 o'clock. (3 and 12 form a 90 degree angle and very easy to check for correctness)
    That's the way I do it and if your hands are not aligned properly, it's an easy fix.

Best.

Hoi.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2012

Oh hi and welcome, are you another watchmaker?

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 27, 2012

Welcome to ΩF, Hoi. Nice to have you here. :thumbsup:

8. ulackfocus Mar 27, 2012

Hey Hoi, what's shakin'? Glad to have you on board. :thumbsup:

Hope you don't mind I used your picture above to show what a Tresor is.

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 27, 2012

Hi everybody.

I am a vintage Omega collector and also a watchmaker (for myself):), I also have some Rolex, Longines and Zenith but I love Omegas the most.

Hi Dennis.

No problem, you can use anything you can find from me, I don't keep any copyright on my stuff.

Have a nice day.

Hoi.

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 27, 2012

Hi Marcus.
    Would you post two pics, one at 6 o'clock and one at 12 o'clock ?
    Best.

11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 27, 2012

Or maybe you only need a "spring washer" on top of the hour wheel to push it down and remove the play.

[​IMG]

12. Marcus Mar 27, 2012

First of all many thanks for everyone that took the time to contribute to this thread. I found the infomation very useful and I'm now confident that in the skilled hands of the local watch repairer, my problem will be solved.

Unfortunately I cannot post any pictures at this time as the watch is already in possession of said local watchman, and I'm now waiting to hear from him hopefully over the next couple of days. If there's any developments I'll post them, but in the meantime thank you all once again for your input.

13. aga79 Mar 27, 2012

hi, I believe there's an alien entered in your Hour Wheel
    all you need is get your hour wheel cleaned, and evrything's gonna be okay...
    cheers

14. N2FHL Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 27, 2012

Actually, if the hands are aligned properly at 12:00, you have another problem- the dial. Usually the watch has taken an impact (bending the dial legs slightly) and the bottom of the dial has moved over. Look with your loupe at the holes in the dial where the posts for the hands come through (especially the post for the second hand). They should be in the center of the hole. If not, the dial has shifted, is not centered on the movement and makes the hands look as though they are misaligned.

Steve