Forums Latest Members
  1. Omegamatt Oct 8, 2015

considering purchasing but not farmiliar with Hamilton watches. I know it's not an omega but I could use some help. Does watch look to be in fair condition both cosmetically and as far as the valjoux movement?

image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png
  2. Davidt Oct 8, 2015

All looks present and correct. However, the dial isn't great; is that rust coming through?

What's the price? These are reasonably plentiful and can be found in lovely condition with a bit of patience.

3. Omegamatt Oct 8, 2015

900 usd

4. gophishin Oct 8, 2015

That price is way too high considering the condition, IMO. You sometimes see these in really good condition go for that kind of money or a little more, but my personal thought is that I would either wait for one in better condition or get the price down significantly. There are a lot of these type watches with various manufacturers on the dials that almost all use the Valjoux 7730, 7733, it's a solid movement, and parts shouldn't be too hard to come by considering how widely it was used. The one's that get closely associated being the "poor man's Heuers" usually fetch the most money, but likewise you can also save on the lesser known brands too.
    The rust or degredation on the 9 o'clock register would have me concerned.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 9, 2015

I agree - too much for what it is. I used to have an Elgin of a similar design:

[​IMG]

These are pretty common, so I would look for a better example for that sort of money. Also note that water resistance will likely be zero.

Cheers, Al

6. Esmarch Oct 9, 2015

These watches are very hot right now. I just sold one for the equivalent of the amount you mentioned for this Hamilton. It was a Zodiac, but exactly the same and in somewhat the same condition (without the grime though).

For good measure, mine was newly serviced.

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 9, 2015

I echo the advice about condition and price for this particular piece. Personally I'm inclined to buy a brand-spanking new automatic Hamilton chronograph with an enhanced Valjoux/ETA 7750/7753 for the same price or less (and keeping with a traditional look):
    [​IMG]
    But I respect some collectors seek only vintage, so maybe this isn't for you.
    Omega has a forum for other brands. I come to the Vintage Omega Watches Help, Discussion and Advice forum for threads about vintage Omega watches help, discussion and advice. Maybe that's just me?

ac106 likes this.