Forums Latest Members

Hamilton chrono 9304 Val 7750 question

1. Omegamatt Dec 20, 2015

I'm considering buying this Hamilton watch however I do not know too much about this particular model. I have been looking for a nice chronograph watch for some time and have stumbled upon this. Seller says it's all original both cosmetically and the movement as well. They are asking 850.00. Does this seem reasonable and a good buy?

image.png image.png image.png image.png
  2. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 20, 2015

Movement looks fine, although it's the very old 7750 version with only 17 jewels, not that there is anything wrong with that, as long as it's been properly serviced.

The newer version has 25 jewels and runs at 28,800 beats per hour, I think the 17 jewel version is the slower beat type at 21,600 beats per hour.

The movement looks in excellent condition.

Rob

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2015

As noted it's the 17 jewel version (which also beats at 28,800 as the 25 jewel version does) so this is from before the year 2000 I would assume. Even with proper service bushings can wear in these - I've had to replace the minute counter bushing because of course it's not lubricated at service. I also see that the bearing in the rotor is the type that is likely burnished in, so not the easily replaced type.

If you have no proof of a recent service, I would be cautious since a service on these won't be inexpensive. It could end up being a significant portion of the purchase price, in particular if certain parts are worn...parts costs can add up quickly on these.

Cheers, Al

4. WatchMeWin Mar 9, 2016

I bought that watch! That exact one in the photos is now mine. I paid $720. I've had it 3 days......so far so good.