Forums Latest Members

Had to buy a Speedy TODAY... call me #SpeedyCrazy!!

1. MTROIS Jul 21, 2019

With the 50th anniversary of the first Man on the Moon upon us, and sadly still no news about the delivery date of my Apollo 11 watch, I had to take care of my watch sick%@$$.. hum, watch Passion, with the purchase of a good ol’ “regular” Speedy Moonwatch!! To ensure a flawless plan, and anticipating other passionate sickos with the same idea, I had made sure to instruct the local OB to set a BNIB unit aside until we would show up this weekend.

As planned, this afternoon my son @OmegaManala and I drove to the local OB where we were greeted by the staff (much more our friends by now). More than ever, they made sure to make today an experience for us and treated us wonderfully with a glass of champagne (or water for the little guy), couple of swags, little touches as requested on the warranty card and, especially, passionate discussions about watches!!

As an aside, I will give the OB team huge kudos because over the yearS now, whether I would stop by to simply chat, have the technician swap straps for me, only pick up a catalogue, buy a bracelet, or, finally, buy a watch (today was the first one bought from THIS OB!!!), they have always treated my son and me in the best way possible.... first and foremost because they are all passionate about the brand, the product and the history of Omega. Just great people all around at this boutique!!

Anyhow, without further ado, below she is!! The latest addition to the SpeedyFamily here. This one will now disappear in the safe for at least 10 years, and likely much more... Our version of a TIME CAPSULE!!

29DF6DF1-D91A-4EDE-80C0-63FA41E1D983.jpeg

2E381185-E9D3-4FA5-B378-E04B2C1E0875.jpeg

FDDB07ED-43D2-4DC4-916B-8BAA8733352C.jpeg

Edited Jul 21, 2019
  2. ext1 Jul 21, 2019

I don’t think the pictures loaded. Pics or it didn’t happen!! ;)

Edit: There they are. Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

MTROIS likes this.
  3. MTROIS Jul 21, 2019

Oops...technical glitch!! :D Fixed now... hopefully!!! :cool:

4. EricCsN Jul 22, 2019

Great idea!! It will be your family heirloom to pass through the generations inspired by mankind greatest accomplishment. May I suggest that this photo of you and your son should be printed and included into the box too.

Edited Jul 22, 2019
    MTROIS likes this.
  5. fskywalker Jul 22, 2019

Congrats! So that one will be for your son then in 10 years?

MTROIS likes this.
  6. stuart70 Jul 22, 2019

Good call, enjoy the watch (in 10years time).

MTROIS likes this.
  7. MTROIS Jul 22, 2019

Thanks Eric for the suggestion. This is indeed the plan!!! :thumbsup:

We did in fact take many more pics with the sales people etc. which, for privacy reasons I did not upload, but the plan is indeed to create a "book" in which we will put all the artefacts, photos etc.

Longbow and EricCsN like this.
  8. omegabruh Jul 22, 2019

Congrats!!! That’s my OB!!! They are awesome, the whole team. There is Kaidan and Andrew :)

MTROIS likes this.
  9. MTROIS Jul 22, 2019

Thank you @fskywalker This is indeed the "official plan" to make my son be patient (you can imagine how tough it is to explain to a child that you buy something... to only then store away), but quite frankly, "my plan" is for this to be stored away for 10, 20, maybe 50 years so that my son can someday remember the 50th we spent together when he does the same with his kids.
    One can dream, no?

And just as an aside, please do know that I am also fully aware that many OF members and guests may not have a wide collection of Omegas and Speedys, let alone one of these wonderful pIeces so, YES, I do feel very privileged to be able to make such a non-essential purchase. I certainly don't take it for granted.

Edited Jul 22, 2019
  10. JFerraro819 Jul 22, 2019

So nice. Looks like short hills mall :)

MTROIS likes this.
  11. rainking Jul 23, 2019

Why lock it away? Why not wear it here and there, and then when you pass it to him eventually, it’ll actually be his dad’s watch.

12. S.H. Jul 23, 2019

Somehow I get the idea that @MTROIS already has a watch or two... :D

MTROIS and rainking like this.
  13. Josh Bear Jul 23, 2019

This is a great post. Thanks. Excellent story and one that will be told by your son to his family in the future!

Josh

MTROIS likes this.
  14. rainking Jul 23, 2019

Er, just noticed and I know this was all for fun, anyway, but I would have had them fill out the card with the actual correct date to coincide with the anniversary LOL

15. 8100_RPM Jul 23, 2019

July 21st is the correct date for when Neil and Buzz actually stepped on to the Moon’s surface.

16. FlyingSnoopy Jul 23, 2019

Omega magazine says so but National Geographic says 20th...
    ???

17. FlyingSnoopy Jul 23, 2019

Great idea! I was thinking the same but...
    I have two choices...
    Either buy the regular model, wearing on occasion and then pass t on as his fathers watch...
    Or
    Doing the same thing with the 50th anniversary ss model which is coming....
    I lean more towards the original model which is more iconic, more versatile and more discreet... plus with more scratches I will be a great family watch....
    I wonder...

MTROIS likes this.
  18. Martin_J_N Jul 23, 2019

I believe that the landing time was based on GMT rather than local time, so although A11 landed on the moon on 20th July, it was 02:56 (GMT) on the 21st July when NA stepped onto the moon surface. Now for the 50th Anniversary boxes the time given is GMT time, is it not? Could someone with the box check please.

MTROIS likes this.
  19. Martin_J_N Jul 23, 2019

An excellent choice and a great gesture to your son., my kids are too old to worry about my watches but hopefully they will come to appreciate them in the fullness of time.

MTROIS likes this.
  20. rainking Jul 23, 2019

I stand corrected, then. I see upon closer examination that they landed on the moon on July 20 but it was the 21st by the time they stepped onto the surface. Never realized that before. Glad to have learned something new today. Carry on, then LOL

8100_RPM and MTROIS like this.