Forums Latest Members

H/M hands interchangeable between Cal 281 and Cal 285 families?

1. bgrisso Feb 22, 2018

Specifically I'm wondering between cal 481 and cal 287, but I assume this is a valid question for any of the variant calibers within these two main chrono families.....
    Anyone know?
    I guess for info's sake, we might as well discuss chrono sweeps and sub register hands as well...

2. rustynuts Feb 22, 2018

3. bgrisso Feb 22, 2018

yes I've seen those stats but I'm not clear how to interpret those numbers. What does this mean, aside from the fact they are obviously different? The first number is the hole size on the hour hand? The second number is, what, hole size on the minute hand?

281 Hands
    1.60 x 0.98mm

285 Hands
    1.80 x 1.16mm

4. rustynuts Feb 22, 2018

From ranfft "Hands: Here the hole diameters of hands are listed, starting with the slowest hand (mostly hour) and ending with the fastest (mostly second). Center hands and sub-dial hands are separated by a slash." I interpret that as hours and then minutes

http://www.ranfft.de/uhr/info-e.html (movements, further data)

No doubt someone more knowledgeable will either confirm or disprove shortly

5. bgrisso Feb 22, 2018

yes I made the same interpretations....

6. rustynuts Feb 22, 2018

7. bgrisso Feb 22, 2018

interesting. If those are genuine hands, not only is the hole size different but the hands themselves are different. The minute hands on both cals are about the same length, but the hour hand is larger on the 285 version vs the 281 version. Additionally both 285 versions are fatter leaf shape altogether, aside from hole size and length. Again, if those are genuine and accurate representations.
    I wonder how many set(s) of those hands they have.

8. DManzaluni Feb 25, 2018

He must have a lot of them if he really doesnt care if they sell or not. Is this a browser problem I am having or is that the most outrageous price ever seen for a watch part on ebay?

Reminds me, I have a mid 1945 287 tricompax moonphase case lying around somewhere, complete with back, all pushers, bezel! I wonder how much the Argentine would compute this is worth in his mind?

Or does this guy treat ebay as if it is just an advertisement and rely on buyers contacting him off ebay and arranging a fee-free deal?

9. bgrisso Feb 25, 2018

I’ve been talking to this seller trying to get more info. I just got them to list both blue and rose gold leaf hands for 287. But they were gone/sold/ended almost immediately.
    I don’t have enough info to evaluate the situation. Seller seems to have large inventory of hands, but no more yellow gold leaf 287.
    There are maybe some language issues.
    I’m not sure if it’s someone on here that is snapping these up, but you might want to chill for a second and let some others weigh in. I for one want to do a detailed analysis of the differences between 281 and 285 leaf hands in sala, just haven’t had time.
    To be clear, I’m not making any arguments for or against this seller.

10. josephgsy Apr 29, 2018

not sure if it's the right thread to ask this, but since it's about compatibilities across different calibers i thought i'd try my luck. does anyone know if the parts for a tricompax cal 281 and cal 481 would be interchangeable? i'm looking more specifically at the centre wheel and the canon pinion in particular