Guidance on vintage Seamaster De Ville

Hi there

I am considering a vintage seamaster and would appreciate your guidance. I am a self-confessed NOOB and very grateful for any help and pointers! Some pictures are below. I've tried to do my homework and am wondering:

1. Movement - i looked up the serial number and see its from the 1970s. And i see that the 563 movement is for 1965 onwards so that lines up, as does Omega's description for KM 6292's starting in 1968. Between all that and the generally similar color and condition of the movement parts, i hope that means i can rule out it was frankened. But please let me know if you feel the parts are correct or there are concerns about potential damage... I've seen in many posts experts here point out warning signs of incorrect or damaged movements from very subtle clues

2. Dial - it looks clean to my eye but i'm not confident in my ability, for that same reason, to rule out a redial. Any red flags? Looking at the picture without the crystal in particular, something seems off about the center rectangle protruding from the tips of the 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 hour markers instead of lines with a straight clean finish... if that means its a redial, and a sloppy one at that, i'd say that's a deal breaker.

3. case
3a.its supposed to be gold filled (not plated) but the other similar ones that i've seen have a '14 kt' stamp on the side, which this is missing. I am thinking therefore that it may just be plated but would appreciate your take.

3b. same question for the smooth case back - i think i remember seeing somewhere that it doesn't need the seamaster logo, but would appreciate your confirmation.

4. polishing - is it fair to say its been pretty heavily polished? i think that would impact the value i'd pay but it may not be a deal breaker for me at this point in my collecting journey.

5. guidance on price - from what i've been seeing these go for either 4-800USD (if plated) or 1,500-2,500 for gold filled in good condition). is that about right?

sorry to have so many questions - even answering one or a few, or offering any other considerations, would be much appreciated.

thank you in advance,

M. Bozorg

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.38.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.39.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.40.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.41.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.42.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.43.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.44.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.44.31 PM.png

Is there a reason you picked the most boring watch on the planet? If you like that style, who am I to complain? But those are literally so common that you can do better no matter what you have.

As for your questions... the Omega Vintage database doesn't show every variation. What you see is likely original, because you would fake one of these dirt common watches?

If you like it, there's no reason you can't buy it.

Some of us are great fans of sunburst dials with sweep seconds - and don’t think that they’re at all boring.

1. The movement looks fine to me although the photos aren’t particularly sharp. There may be some rotor rub but it’s not easy to see. Parts do wear and are replaced, which can sometimes explain the reason for different shades of parts. It’s not unusual for 50 year old watches.

2. The dial looks okay to me but if you think it looks off then don’t buy it. That feeling will never go away.

3. It’s a monocoque case which means it doesn’t open from the back. It has been polished. In some of the photos the edge of the vase looks like it’s been to the school of hard knocks', in others less so. Gold plated doesn’t last as well as gold or stainless steel and has become less fashionable so, unless it’s pristine I’d avoid it. The crown looks wrong to me both in style and colour.

4. It isn’t a great case and looks a bit rough in parts.

5. For price, I generally check sold prices on eBay or what’s being asked on Chrono24.

So, entirely up to you but you should compare it with what else is on offer.

I agree these aren’t boring at all and are ideal if someone is looking for a single vintage watch (along with various cal 55x powered Seamasters).

Id just add that your suggested price range for gold filled seems very high.

@M. Bozorg your suggested price range is very high. You don't have to pay anywhere near that for one of these. Don't be in a rush to buy, take some time to do more research and it will save you money and get you a better watch. Good luck!

I've seen steel 55x's range from 400-750usd depending on condition. chrono24 listings generally come with large premiums (some great deals do come up occasionally though).

The case is in a pretty rough state, with the plating worn away at the ends of the lugs and at least one severe knock. Not a brilliant example.

Some of us are great fans of sunburst dials with sweep seconds - and don’t think that they’re at all boring.

1. The movement looks fine to me although the photos aren’t particularly sharp. There may be some rotor rub but it’s not easy to see. Parts do wear and are replaced, which can sometimes explain the reason for different shades of parts. It’s not unusual for 50 year old watches.

2. The dial looks okay to me but if you think it looks off then don’t buy it. That feeling will never go away.

3. It’s a monocoque case which means it doesn’t open from the back. It has been polished. In some of the photos the edge of the vase looks like it’s been to the school of hard knocks', in others less so. Gold plated doesn’t last as well as gold or stainless steel and has become less fashionable so, unless it’s pristine I’d avoid it. The crown looks wrong to me both in style and colour.

4. It isn’t a great case and looks a bit rough in parts.

5. For price, I generally check sold prices on eBay or what’s being asked on Chrono24.

So, entirely up to you but you should compare it with what else is on offer.

Although the dial is nice, the case is really rough, and plated cases really don't appeal to me anyway. Maybe it would help if you told us a bit more about yourself, your current collection, and what you are looking for.

If you want an entry-level watch that looks ok at a distance to wear a few times a year, this watch might be ok if you got it for a few hundred USD. But if you are looking for a collectible watch that will give you joy in the long haul ... I doubt that this is the right watch.

Although the dial is nice, the case is really rough, and plated cases really don't appeal to me anyway. Maybe it would help if you told us a bit more about yourself, your current collection, and what you are looking for.

If you want an entry-level watch that looks ok at a distance to wear a few times a year, this watch might be ok if you got it for a few hundred USD. But if you are looking for a collectible watch that will give you joy in the long haul ... I doubt that this is the right watch.

hi thanks for your guidance and kindness. I’ve decided to pass up on this one based on all the feedback here. I am for looking something that can be worn, appreciated up close and will go the long haul. I wouldn’t say i’m super fussy about some the minor points for collectibility value. I have another vintage De Ville - that I cherish and also got thanks to this community. I’m looking for this one for my brother’s 40th birthday. He is meticulous and knows more about watches than me so now I feel comfortable passing after folks validated the concerns about condition here. This is pretty much exactly the reference he wants (except in fill not plated). It’s not until Feb so I still have some time and won’t rush it. :)

thank you again

Just how "vintage" is vintage to you? There are some 90s watches with some darn good chronometer movements that are pretty spiffy. I'd rather pay $2500 for a 90s watch than a 50s watch because overall cost of ownership is a lot lower!

Wise decision to move on from this watch but definitely a big fan of these in general. And I don’t think anyone mentioned this, but since you mentioned not seeing a stamp for “gold filled” it is in fact there between the lugs. C63CE74A-F175-4806-9BD2-F11911FE512D.jpeg
Just an FYI as your hunt continues

Wise decision to move on from this watch but definitely a big fan of these in general. And I don’t think anyone mentioned this, but since you mentioned not seeing a stamp for “gold filled” it is in fact there between the lugs. C63CE74A-F175-4806-9BD2-F11911FE512D.jpeg
Just an FYI as your hunt continues

Wow sharp catch! Thank you!!
Just for my understanding, how do I reconcile that with some of the comments confirming it is plated and not filled? Is it a matter kf just the caseback being plated but the rest maybe actual being filled? And if so is that standard, or is it usually all filled or all plated?

but since you mentioned not seeing a stamp for “gold filled” it is in fact there between the lugs.
Are you sure it says “gold filled”? It looks plated to me.
If gold filled you would expect just the lugs to be capped with the case back done in stainless steel.

If gold filled you would expect just the lugs to be capped with the case back done in stainless steel.
Yes, I’m 100% positive. Clearly says “14K Gold Filled” where I marked up the OP’s picture. Here’s a shot from my similarly American cased Seamaster:
ACFE8DDA-3558-4810-9F9C-C787EF9B0240.jpeg
This is a fairly common reference in the USA and I believe KM indicates gold filled. Omega website confirms this as well: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-us-collection-seamaster-de-ville-km-6292

A gold plated Omega from this era would typically have a stainless steel back. Depending on the year, there might be an indication of the thickness, or none at all. Here’s an example of Gold Plated markings on an earlier Geneve:
6D1112BF-8D96-41E2-8F31-A1D8A9183EB6.jpeg Others may disagree, but I don’t think of Gold Filled as conferring any significant value (if any), over Gold Plated. Condition is much more important.

I have a gold-filled watch that is gold all over as well. US Collection KX 6275 Seamaster.