Forums Latest Members
  1. alantbt Feb 28, 2019

I am looking for some advice regarding a watch in my Aunts estate.
    It was purchased by my Uncle in January '68 in Singapore whilst he served with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary
    The original bill of sale, Omega Guarantee, certificated, inner box and outer carton are all together.
    The watch looks to have little wear with the original Omega SS strap. I have no idea of service history.
    Is this something that will accrue in value? I am not a big watch person so earing it is unlikely except for very special occasions.
    I plan to get a valuation for probate done at a local Omega authorised dealer.
    Apologies for the poor quality of the images. If more would be helpful please advise.
    thanks in advance.
    IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0904.JPG IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0008.jpg

2. alantbt Feb 28, 2019

Moderators - apologies for the multiple image posting, please feel free to remove the duplicates

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 28, 2019

Insurance valuation or potential sales price?

They are much different numbers.

4. alantbt Feb 28, 2019

Thanks -
    I suppose an informal sales value and then a judgement as to it’s likely return as an investment. IE are these the type of watch that will accrue in value or is it static for a watch of this age this age.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 28, 2019

It’s a nice piece. As for it’s appreciation... hard to say. Generally decent as pie pan constellations are desirable, but if we could predict the market everyone on this forum would be stockpiling and rich. Vintage pieces have been trending up, but how high they will go and potential return exceeding traditional investments is doubtful.

I’m not good at pricing these. But a clear sunlight shot of the dial is needed to value it.

6. ConElPueblo Feb 28, 2019

As said above - without good photos of the dial it is impossible to say much about value. With all the trappings and a good case/bracelet, one of these with a poor dial might be USD700, but with a great dial it would be more than double that, imo.

Whether or not it is a good investment - who knows?

KingCrouchy, Peemacgee and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Shabbaz Feb 28, 2019

Blurry pictures .Cant see anything...

kkt likes this.
  8. Waltesefalcon Feb 28, 2019

We need better pictures to accurately evaluate this watch. As posted above this is a nice, desirable watch. If it is in good, original shape it is worth a bit if it has been fiddled with it will be worth a bit less. In addition to dial, a movement photo would be good, as well as the inside of the case back, and any markings on the bracelet (on the clasp and the end links).

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 28, 2019

Hi @alantbt
    It would have helped if you hadn’t obscured the info on the certificate.
    Looks like a168.004 with a decent case.
    ‘68 would be late for this reference but I recently bought a ‘67 sold in the Netherlands - so given your’s is from Singapore it could make sense.
    A clear dial pic would help assess the condition - which is everything when it comes to value.
    Probate value is a peculiar thing - a private sales value is very different from a retail value.

10. KingCrouchy Feb 28, 2019

I wouldn't see watches to much as an investment. And you have to factor in a possible service by a Watchmaker in the future, what would diminish the expected return. Also it's not always easy to sell a watch fastly.
    Keep it for the memories and because you like it. If your going for ROE there are much better alternatives.

Btw. My Connie says hello

IMG_20190228_235504.jpg
    Waltesefalcon likes this.
  11. jjen Feb 28, 2019

crown is not original. some spotting on dial. otherwise looks ok. these are "dog leg" lugs I think? has seen a polish I think. pie pans with bracelet have been trending up lately