Forums Latest Members
  1. randomguy Dec 27, 2014

I'm contemplating one of these 2 beauties, and I just wanted to hear the views of other enthusiasts on these 2 fine watches. Again, I do understand it's a personal choice, but I do wish to hear what others think. Pictured property of FW.

G or D?

Dark and Grey Side of Moon.jpg

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 27, 2014

I like them both. It would depend on what you already have on your collection. I personally have a few black dial sporty watches so i would go with the gray face for me.

3. repoman Dec 27, 2014

Both are spectacular. My advice is wait until you can see them both side by side. That is the ultimate test, and trust me, you will know for sure which one pulls on your heart the most. For me, its GSTOM. Another consideration, secondary market DSOTM are now in the mid-$8k range, whereas the GSTOM will be a solid $12k+ for at least a year.

4. NT931 Dec 27, 2014

They both lovely, but try them on first. They're rather thick on the wrist, but they're ok if you have biggish wrists.

5. Shem Dec 27, 2014

I actually have 6.25" wrists and love the DSOTM and GSOTM on my wrist. It's a personal preference thing, I think, and it may also depend on the bone structure of your wrist if you have smaller wrists. Either way, I second the recommendation to see both in person first. :)

6. richard371 Dec 27, 2014

GSOTM by far. Its the new kid on the block and hard to get and everyone wants it. Yes it will cost you 12K now if you can get one and the DSTOM can be had for about 8K now. But wait, in about a year you will be able to get the GSOTM for 8k and the new BSOTM (bright side of the moon will be $12k). This is why I have become more of a Rolex guy then Omega. Omega produces a bunch of novelties. Id easily give up my DOSTM in a second over my Daytona or Sub which I know will not be outdated next year. In all seriousness the DSOTM is a sexier sportier watch, the GSOTM is a nicer looking classier piece. Try them both on and go with which one sings to you or wait until Basel 2015 :).

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

I'd go with the Greyside, the lume is absolutely killer especially on the bezel and crown and the PT950 dial is stunningly beautiful

8. Superdoc Dec 28, 2014

Whaaaaaa????

Rolex holds its value better ?

I can get any Rolex unworn at 30 points ..
    more for pre-owned
    getting a sloppy seconds watch at 30%off reflects a drop in value?...I think this is standard...

Fact is Grey Side will be Boutique exclusive for at least 1 year...
    by the time the GSOM makes its way to the AD's... not only will the MSRP be higher, there will be dramatic changes about the discounts...either by cutting profit margins, or by pulling accounts from anyone caught discounting...

if Rolex truly sings to you more then I fully support your choice, but if re-sale value, perception of strangers, or financial future are motivating your choice, then you've already lost...
    don't get confused comparing yesteryears Omega with the current line up...

A deep line in the sand has been drawn with Master-coaxial....

don't kid yourself... This is not the same Omega as 10 yrs ago... show me any other brand that has made the exponential growth as Omega in the last few years....

If you truly are passionate about Rolex then great... just don't be a douche who comes back with statements about "Best Steel"...

OculusPrime likes this.
  9. harrymai86 Dec 28, 2014

Absolutely the lume on GREY is amazing. Markers and even bezel omg

10. richard371 Dec 28, 2014

Superdoc. I didn't mean to offend you. You are one of the classiest/most respected guys on the forums and have great taste. I just get a little frustrated that Omega is so innovative and puts out so many watches that when I buy one it feels obsolete in a year like my DSOTM. After all the comments on the GSOTM looking better etc I feel like my DSOTM is obsolete. My friend has the DSTOM and picked up the Grey tonight and told me to go for it. Never feel this way with a SS Daytona or Sub. Yes I caved in and am picking up my GSOTM on Sat but I hope the Swatch group does not keep releasing better looking iterations of these watches every year. I can't afford it :).

11. Shem Dec 28, 2014

No reason to feel like your DSOTM is obsolete; it absolutely isn't. It's an award-winning design and a classic in the making. Nothing about the GSOTM cheapens it. The reason the GSOTM from my other post was even available is because the guy who had a full deposit on it ended up liking the DSOTM better and bought it instead. After experiencing both, my top priority of the two is still the DSOTM.

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 28, 2014

You can't just got with others perspective. The new kid on the block always get the attention. It's not like Rolex didn't over market a most identical models without sense. I personally do think the swatch machine is taking over a bit too much and find both the DS and the GS a little gimmicky compared to the actual speedy. But only time will tell if they're here to stay or not they will become classics. Until then don't let yourself be carried by the yearly upgrades.

I do also believe Omega, or swatch through Omega, is making a clear effort to evolve beyond aesthetics with the Master and coaxial movemenfs, one of the reasons I love the brand, and my AT.

anselmw likes this.
  13. richard371 Dec 28, 2014

Thanks Shem. I can certainly see why some guys have both. I just hope they don't come out with a bunch more color combos/upgrades. It dilutes the brand and model in my opinion.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 28, 2014

They will. There will be a white and a blue. I'm quite sure of it.

15. Shem Dec 28, 2014

The interesting thing about this is that there are already are, from Omega's perspective, a bunch more combinations of that model. All of the 44.25mm 9300 Speedies are one line. There's the steel/black, the titanium/blue, some on straps, some on bracelets, and even the platinum one on strap. The DSOTM and GSOTM are just 9300 Speedies that happen to be made of ceramic and have special names.

I suspect there will be additional color combinations of the ceramic models as time goes on, particularly if Omega has mastered the process for arbitrarily coloring ceramics. I don't suspect that it'll be one per year forever, though. It seems reasonable that Omega will turn its attention to other models for ceramics rather than continuing to iterate on the 9300 Speedy.

16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 28, 2014

Guys, I'm pretty new, I hope this isn't a taboo, or stupid question, but is it a speedy if it has a coaxial movement? Is the 321/861/1861 what makes a speedy a speedy? Aren't the gstom and dstom (and precursors) something almost entirely new and different?

SpeedyCoAxChrono016fw1.jpg
    (from FR)

Vintage_Omega_Speedmaster__Pre-moon_(1).jpg
    (from wikipedia)

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

The Speedmaster is a very big and diverse family (as the perpetual Shem's just bought proves) they're all Speedys, the 321/1861 is the Moonwatch or Pro, it'll always be that but it makes the others no less Speedmasters. The Mark series which was the first fork in the road happened very early in the game with the Mark II introduced in 1969, the same year the Pro was worn on the moon.

oddboy likes this.
  18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 28, 2014

@diso, thanks! Noted (and back to the books I go!).

19. Superdoc Dec 29, 2014

Richard, My apologies, and rest assured, I am incapable of being offended...

I do get a little defensive about the 'Rolex' thing, and yet I love Rolex as well... What bothers me is the 'Rolex Mentality' that I often find myself dealing with... the "Rolex is the Best"...."well what about Patek, AP, Vacheron?"...."Never heard of them, Rolex is the Best!"
    "explain to me why you believe Rolex is the Best."...."Because its a Rolex!"

It's often like banging your head against the wall....Obviously this is not representative of many Rolex owners, and certainly no one on this board, who obviously has a deeper understanding and appreciation for watches in general...but it is my sore spot...

I think that to address your comments on the DS/GS, again, I think you're suffering a bit from the 'Selection Bias' of being a member here, and having friends who care... remember that we are a microcosm of a sub culture... most people don't care...

I'm sure there are people who groan when the 2015 Mercedes has a different decal on the steering wheel than the 2014, when nothing else has changed....

I don't think that newer necessarily means better ... the GS isn't any Better than the Dark Side, it is just a different option.

DSOM was a HUGE Homerun for OMEGA...even they were not prepared for its popularity and success...how can you blame them for releasing a sequel...(they made 5 transformer movies for F's sake)...

A new colour, does it mean its a must have...? only if it sings to you...

Personally I passed on the DS because I had too many Blackdial, black strap sporty models.., my PO8500 on rubber prevented me from getting the DS, the GS wouldn't have...

I saw an early prototype for the GS that was near identical to the DS but just Grey - shiny grey ceramic dial...but on the leather not cordura
    I suggested that they were just trying to milk the success of the DS...
    to add the platinum....just wow....

a last minute stroke of genius... those things don't just happen year after year...
    I can't see any improvements on what they've got currently... their big priority is Orange ceramic now...

So just because The GS is newer, doesn't make it better ... the DarkSide is an instant classic, and a hot watch...one that non-collectors, and people who would have never before considered Omega had felt the need to have....

How can you look down on that?

OculusPrime and legends71 like this.
  20. jcmartinez98 Dec 29, 2014

@randomguy,

DSOM was my entry to the watch world. i had started to think about getting a watch, opened a magazine, saw it, and was awestruck. it is my only watch. i wear it everyday. i love it. i never tire of looking at it. the materials (which would also go for the GSOM, i imagine) allow it to look forever new, if you're able to keep from damaging it (as opposed to SS and titanium watches which will predictably ding and scratch with use and 'love.')

i have never seen a GSOM in person (big caveat, i know), but it seems it is less able to be dressed up/down as the DSOM is. that is, the DSOM can look not only great but appropriate with a tshirt/shorts, but also look fantastic with a tux. the GSOM, it seems, looks fantastic dressed up but would like a fixed up supermodel walking through landfill on a random, quick, run to the grocery store in ratty jeans and flip flops. so it really is all about what you own, what you want, and what you want it for.

at the end of the day, i think the DSOM seems empirically more versatile, having a broader range, while the GSOM, from others' comments, may ring louder than the DSOM at the upper end of dressiness and have a totally different vibe, even though it's pretty much the same watch.

as for people getting called douches, i get the point that a 'pet peeve' button was pushed, but every single person on this forum, me included, lies on the 'mega-douche spectrum' to 99.9% of the planet. we are all cloaking ourselves in a mini-world of multi-thousand dollar watches. let's not forget that...

happy new year to all.

4myle, watchme, mischa3000 and 2 others like this.