Forums Latest Members

GSOTM, how is the case back fitted?

1. hua_qiu Jul 6, 2017

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the case back is fitted on GSOTM or DSOTM.

Since there is no slot on the case back to catch traditional case opener, I suspect it is press fitted. However inspect with x10 loupe I can't see any gap to use a case knife either. Beside it is never a good idea to use case knife on brittle material like ceramic.

Does anyone know?

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 6, 2017

Very new watches so not that many opened by owners yet.
    Do know there is a special way to putting them back on from forum chat over time. ( not something that should be done without a fair bit of research or the correct tool as damage can result and the case is not cheap at $7k IIRC )

3. Pikeman Jul 7, 2017

It is a snap fit with a green Viton seal.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 7, 2017

It's not Viton....Omega specs describe it as follows:

MATERIAL : GREEN OR RED POLYUR

Hard plastic seal that is common with this type of case back - similar seal below on a Speedmaster auto:

[​IMG]

Seals are one time use only as they deform when the back is pressed in place, and will never seal as tightly once the case back is removed. The case back is removed by using a case knife per Omega procedures.

Cheers, Al

Pikeman and Lonestar like this.
  5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jul 7, 2017

But this is a tool for Seiko watches?!?

:D

6. Pikeman Jul 7, 2017

Hi Al,
    I bow to your experience and knowledge. I took the information from a June 2014 watch time comparative review which was looking at a DSOTM strip down. Is there much difference between viton and polyur?
    Thanks
    Andy

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 7, 2017

I probably have that article, as I have subscribed for many years, but the last thing I want to do at the end of my day is read more about watches.

Anyway, no idea what the technical competence of the person who did the review is, but usually they are weak in these magazines, so if you get beyond the basics I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Viton seals (O-rings) are used by a few brands, like Sinn in their U1 model for example:

[​IMG]

Note that Viton is a trade name for a fluoroelastomer made by Dupont. In contrast to the Viton seal shown above, which is soft and pliable much like a Buna-N O-ring, the Omega product is a hard polyurethane. These gaskets seal in very different ways.

Perhaps the author concluded that the green seal in the DSOTM was Viton because they have seen the green Viton seals in the past in watches like the U1...

Cheers, Al

akshayluc420 and Pikeman like this.
  8. Pikeman Jul 8, 2017

Thanks for the education, as ever appreciated. Thanks Al for taking the time.
    Best Andy