Forums Latest Members

Gruen precision diver 17 jewels

1. jerryct Sep 8, 2017

Hi,

Just want to share on the forum my new acquisition off eBay. There was barely any description and photos were minimal. I threw a low offer and was accepted.

I have no idea if the watch is entirely original and I can't find much reference on it online. Maybe you guys can help me out here.

When the watch arrived, the condition was pretty bad. Crystal was badly scratched, the bezel can't turn and the watch wasn't running properly.

I polished the crystal as much as I can, washed the watch with soap and water and then scrubbed off the gunk using a soft toothbrush. I took some time to reach under the bezel to clear off the gunk. Next I took the watch for a service and it turns out the movement was clean but it was just the minute and hour hands that were loose. It took my watch maker just a couple of hours and it is running fine now.

I will share some photos to show the progress from how it was till what it is now.

BTW: this watch came in its box too. I am just not sure if it is original.

IMG_9327.JPG IMG_9328.JPG IMG_9329.JPG IMG_9336.JPG IMG_9339.JPG IMG_9340.JPG IMG_9385.JPG IMG_9352.JPG IMG_9354.JPG IMG_9359.JPG IMG_9362.JPG IMG_9363.JPG
    Ezurcc, ConElPueblo, Foo2rama and 7 others like this.
  2. jumpingsecond Sep 8, 2017

jerryct likes this.
  3. jerryct Sep 8, 2017

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 8, 2017

Congrats! It cleaned up nicely.

jerryct likes this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 8, 2017

A fine effort that makes that watch really "pop."

jerryct likes this.
  6. bovecHD Sep 8, 2017

you did a nice job on the crystal, I have not so high end watch i need to polish. what did you use may I ask to polish?
    movement looks great.

7. sdre Sep 9, 2017

jerryct likes this.
  8. jerryct Sep 9, 2017

I only used polywatch and kitchen towel to polish. It took me a total of 2hours to get it to this level. Of course I took breaks! If you have tools then it would probably shorten the process by a lot !

I was very surprised the movement is still so clean given that the watch was in such bad shape. It was obviously never serviced before. Guess I was really lucky with this find.

9. jerryct Sep 9, 2017

Thanks for sharing the joy with me bro! You were there with me right from the point where I was thinking whether to get this or not.

sdre likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 9, 2017

Gorgeous!

jerryct likes this.
  11. PaulC77 Sep 9, 2017

Great score and a really nice looking watch :thumbsup:

jerryct likes this.
  12. jerryct Sep 9, 2017

I noticed there are variations to this watch in the color of the date wheel - white or black. However based on my own reading up, my own deduction is that neither one was due to replacement. Gruen produced these divers at their low point. I believe they just fit in whatever parts they had to produce this watch. So whether you get a white or black date wheel depends on the production period of the watch. What do you guys think?

Edited Sep 10, 2017
  13. SeanO Sep 10, 2017

more than likely. by the time Gruen were offering such watches they were well and truly past their glory days. which is good because there is nothing inherently wrong with the diver (except maybe that it's a manual wind rather than auto). Waltham and Elgin also suffered the same fate during the period.

so win/win for people looking for that 60's/70's Blancpain fiddy clone watch.

jerryct likes this.
  14. bovecHD Sep 13, 2017

thanks for the details. I have few parts watches I need to practice on before trying others that are working and could use a little love. :thumbsup:

jerryct likes this.