Forums Latest Members

Gruen Precision Deep Sea Diver: Info Needed

1. Superpacker Aug 2, 2014

Can someone please tell me anything about this watch? I know it's a bit off since it's called a deep sea diver, but only has a depth rating of 100m. But It belonged to my Grandfather. When I was visiting my Dad recently, he showed me several watches that my grandmother recently gave him. He said couldn't wear them all, and told me to take any I wanted. This one caught me attention because I have actually been looking for a solid, vintage style field watch. I wanted a watch that had a steel case, water resistant to at least 100m, black dial for easy visibility, and quartz for easy field maintenance. This watch has all that, in addition to military time, and an offset (4 o'clock) screw-down crown!

I want to know more about this watch. Can someone tell me how old it is? Is it a good watch? Can it take a beating? If I take it to get the battery replaced, will it also be easy to restore its water resistance? The lume is shot. While I don't think I would go through the effort of re-luming the markers, I was curious about the availability of replacement hands, as this style seems pretty ubiquitous.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. woodwkr2 Aug 2, 2014

Likely from the 80s or 90s. It's not worth anything from a collectors perspective since you say it has a Quartz movement inside. There are collectible Quartz or Accutron style movements out there, but this isn't one of them.

If it's worth the $30 or so to you to have a new battery put in and pressure tested, then that's what I'd do. I wouldn't have anything re-lumed, and I wouldn't have anything polished (other than the crystal, but that's likely to be mineral crystal not plastic).

3. Superpacker Aug 2, 2014

I know it's not likely worth much from a monetary or collector standpoint, but I was more curious from a performance perspective. How would it hold up as a field watch? Looking for a reliable beater that can be put on a NATO strap.

4. woodwkr2 Aug 2, 2014

I think you've found your watch then. Most quartz movement are quite reliable with a fresh battery.

5. redd dogg Jan 22, 2020

Hello, I know you posted this a while back but I saw it and I wanted to write. I have this very same watch. My wife bought it for me for a Christmas present 34 years ago. The watch is from around 1985-1986 and I just dropped it off at the Jewlers yesterday for a new seal and battery. It has been a very good watch for all the years I've had it and I'm sure it will serve you as well as long as it has been taken care of. Enjoy.