Gruen Pan Am

Posts
4,349
Likes
12,796
I just finished up my 1945 Gruen Pan Am, and I've got to say that I'm happy with the result. This one was a total basket case that needed a visit to a proper watch maker due to striped screws in settings and super glued jewels.

If we have any Gruen experts in the house, I do have a question. The movement and case both date to 1945, from what I can find, but this case style wasn't introduced until 1946.

 
Posts
927
Likes
5,013
Congratulations that's a sharp looking timepiece. Love your paring it with that leather strap. Win-win
 
Posts
8,248
Likes
29,147
Very nice! I own several Pan ams, but not with that interesting case style.
 
Posts
4,349
Likes
12,796
Very nice! I own several Pan ams, but not with that interesting case style.
Thanks Tony. One of the reasons I went for it was the case. The stainless, deco looking arched lugs against the yellow gold filled case really appealed to me. The other reason I got it was that the serial number of both mov't and case pointed to 45 and that seemed awfully early for a "civilian" model. I learned over on the NAWCC forum that Gruen started selling these to non Pan Am employees in Oct. of 45. So, this one has to be from the first couple of months of post war production.
 
Posts
8,248
Likes
29,147
I learned over on the NAWCC forum that Gruen started selling these to non Pan Am employees in Oct. of 45. So, this one has to be from the first couple of months of post war production.
Very interesting!
 
Posts
4,349
Likes
12,796
I bought a pair of war time Pan Am ads to go with my Pan Am. I'll have to frame them and hang them near my watch box.