Forums Latest Members
  1. smithrjd Jul 22, 2012

How long should one be patient? Traded watches, both sent registered mail. Tracking numbers sent. Mine got there last Thusday, his shows in route to sort facility for 6 days.... Watch was received, "great watch" wore it for 5 hours now my son is wearing it. I have this image of a 5 year old wearing a $1K watch..................... His by the PO tracking is in LIMBO. Three day inspection period, I tend to be a bit paranoid, maybe a few more glasses of wine would help???

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2012

Well it can vary quite a bit. To give an answer I'd need to know from where to where. Different countries have different mail procedures and one country does not necessarily follow the procedures of an other. In the US for example priority can be 1-3 days depending on the distance. Express in US is next day, but the worst thing you can do in the US is send priority or express combined with registered or registered along. Delivery confirmation, yes. Delivery with signature receipt, yes

But registered requires internal following documents that must be signed by every Postal employee taking procession along the journey and the package is always kept in a locked container or cage. This slows the transport down immensely, sometimes adding several days to more then a week, to what would have been a 2-3 day delivery.

3. smithrjd Jul 22, 2012

It is within the US. I do understand the time it can take. I sent several watches out for repair within the same state, it took 8 days registered. Sent Priority mail. The only number that is tracked is the registered one. My watch made it in 4 days, with the progression shown, accepted,dispatched, delivered etc, his shows accepted , dispatched to sorting facility but never accepted by the sorting facility now 6 days. Not my first rodeo with the PO. Really don't want a trip to GA, but it could and will happen. Dennis is a Jersey lad, I would be very comfortable in the pine woods. Been there done that and am still alive. The watch in question was one I bought while serving in a Southwest Asia country at 17. I am much older now...........

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2012

The rules state that they don't have to update the registered mail status until out for delivery, so just because there is no update it does not mean its not moving.. Express with signature is the most trackable and are generally faster as I stated.

US Postal Service: "If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—Delivery Confirmation™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery."

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 22, 2012

I agree with cicindela, Registered Mail can be agonizingly slow. I've shipped over a thousand watches within the by USPS Priority Mail with insurance and Signature Confirmation and had only one disappear and I was reimbursed for the loss by the insurance coverage. I just don't see the need and the frustration of Registered Mail service. International is a completely different story, FedEx through ParcelPro, is the only way I will ship international. USPS Express Mail insurance does NOT cover jewelery and watches on international shipments.

6. smithrjd Jul 22, 2012

Well I tend to go negative.. Will wait and see. Normally the PO tracks and reports acceptance and dispatch. The watch going my way according to the PO has not yet left the originating city after now almost 7 days. Accepted at? PO Post Office, Express Mail , Mail Boxes R US? Sorting faclity has not accepted. Guess my neck is to Red. Will give it to Friday, inside US two weeks should be more than enough for at least some tracked movement. My watch was tracked the entire time, I knew where it was. Asked the other party involved, and he added me to the PO's tracking by email............ Have the # am able to track a number on my own LOL (maybe not)

7. smithrjd Jul 22, 2012

One of the reasons I hate long distance. Not new to the game. I collect vintage British cars and motorcycles. Most of the production was sold to the US. I have shipped parts around the world even entire cars. Another interest is vintage firearms. Now that is a whole different world. Lots of rules and regulations. In comparision wacthes have no rules or restrctions other than customs. Inside the US nothing applies. Well the bottle is about finished, and I am feeling better. Sent an email to the other party. In his court now.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2012

Oh what British cars?

9. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 23, 2012

Well, now you'll need to share the firearms too! ;)

10. smithrjd Jul 23, 2012

Well too many to list. Mostley the poor mans cars, MG's, MGB and MGC. Triumphs TR's and Austin Healeys. Motorcycles just about anything, Matchless AJS, Triumph, BSA, and many contential makes, Moto Morini, Ducati etc. Raced in the day, but now ride a BMW. Old saying after the ballon falls down two things left moving, cock roaches and BMW K bikes. Firearms..... What would you like to talk about?

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2012

My dad had a pair of Austin Healy Mk1 Sprites ages ago and has been threatening to buy another one for years even though his ass doesn't fit in the tiny seat anymore lol

12. smithrjd Jul 23, 2012

The Frogeye or Bugeye, a classic. tiny, not much power but then again not much weight. If one knew how to drive one it would surprise many larger and more powerfull cars. In Austin's I had the larger ones, 100-6 and a 3000. Same 3 litre engine that was put in the MGC. A true Grand Touring car.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2012

Yea, the last one he had was a 1275 midget engine swap bored to 1310cc with a massive Weber side draft carb setup that was almost as big as the engine hanging off it making around 90hp or so which makes it a peppy little thing, but still too small for my ass to fit behind the wheel of lol

14. smithrjd Jul 23, 2012

Well the watch showed up today.. Tracking was still not correct but it is here. I still have one MGB, a '70 split bumper roadster with a hot rod engine. Bored over .090, high compression big valve aluminum head, fast road cam. Have both a DCOE Weber and a pair of 1 3/4" SU's. Have a couple of Opels's as well '71 GT and a '74 Manta. That one is a true "slot car" outhandles either the GT or MGB. Only one Triumph motorcycle left, a '64 T120C Bonnieville, better known as a TT Special. Basically a factory race bike.

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2012

Good to know it made, they always turn-up when you're about to lose hope:D

16. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 23, 2012

Glad it finally arrived. I have one Hamilton in the mail, and even though it has only been a week it is driving me nuts. :p

17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 23, 2012

Glad it made it safely.

Say hi to my Webers.

[​IMG]

18. smithrjd Jul 23, 2012

When I was stationed in Japan I was lucky enough to have had 2 Skylines as my daily drivers. The OHC 6 was quick, but the 4 cylinder GTR was the hot rod.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2012

Was than an R30?

20. smithrjd Jul 23, 2012

I don't really remember, both were late '80's cars with less than 50K KM on them. One was the OHC 6 same as the Z cars or Fairlady, but it was turbo charged. Every bit as nice as a 5 series Bimmer. The other was the GTR 4 cylinder much more raw and faster yet.