Forums Latest Members

Growth of the Speedy Tuesday Community

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 14, 2017

With a bit of pride, I am happy to be part of the Speedmaster 60th Anniversary press kit. They (Omega) interviewed me about the Speedy Tuesday community and asked me to mention some valid sources for information regarding Speedmasters. Of course I mentioned this forum and Speedmaster101.com.

The interview can be seen below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The entire press release can be found below (large!)

http://press.omegawatches.com/speedmaster2017/download?id=12643&pn=761472-pdf

2. tyrantlizardrex Feb 14, 2017

That's awesome RJ! :thumbsup:

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 14, 2017

Super cool!

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 14, 2017

What WRUW thread on Tuesday says it all. :)

Jwit and oddboy like this.
  5. rominvicta Feb 14, 2017

Well done RJ! Sorry for being impatient but do you have any news you may share with us on the 60th Ann Speedmaster?

6. rominvicta Feb 14, 2017

I do assume it wont be just a press kit for the 69th anniversary!

semper_shells likes this.
  7. semper_shells Feb 14, 2017

Awesome, this gets me super excited about what's on the horizon for Omega. Is it against forum rules to beg for money to fund this obsession?:thumbsdown:

FatPhil likes this.
  8. sensui Feb 14, 2017

Nice. Keep up the great work Robert.

9. LeoneFM Feb 14, 2017

Congrats, really great job!!

Cheers:)

10. Riviera Paradise Feb 14, 2017

Brilliant RJ!:thumbsup:

11. River Feb 14, 2017

Thanks for sharing.

12. Jking something intelligent and witty... Feb 14, 2017

Really cool story. Omega could never have paid to make that happen. Sometimes it's about the people AND the product and you found a way to tap into that. Congratulations again on you and your teams achievement.

13. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 14, 2017

No, sorry. You'll have to wait till March 23rd.

14. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 14, 2017

True. I think that is where the power is, that it is community driven (and thus non-commercial). By all of us here, on Instagram etc. I think the only thing that comes close is Paneristi & Panerai. But it seems Panerai did some mistakes there, as the Paneristi crown seem to have shrunken. But that is just based on a quick observation. I've been approached a couple of times by other brands to do something similar, but I always said no. First of all it wouldn't be real, and second.. what other watch or brand can you do this with to this extent?

Tritium, N1CK, JohanB and 2 others like this.
  15. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 14, 2017

@Robert-Jan - it's awesome! You're a celeb now! Now if you could only leak a sex-tape, and if Michael goes through a gender change, you'd be right up with the Kardashians! :D

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2017

Well Hoodinkee did some low number ones as you know and Oris "fixed" the 65 Fathoms as an LE for Topper in the Bay Area. http://www.topperjewelers.com/watches/oris/01_733_7707_4064_07_8_20_18_07_8_20_18_featured

In my opinion... who could pull of 500 watches or so quickly?

If Sinn did a manual wind 903 in the color way of the 903 St BE (aged blue) but fixed some color issues, I think they could move 500 fast, maybe more if they went with the aviation logo they have rights to and not the Sinn logo.

If anyone did a Modern Flieger with a nice big Onion crown, not pvd coated, and Fluted Bezel it would sell like hot cakes. Sure Laco, Tutima, Zenith and Sinn all come close to offering that but lets be honest not a single one really checks off all the boxes. Someone could do what Heuer did with a contest, but actually stay closer to what actually won... Great PR for the watch maker and lots of hits for the site that collaborates. I could see 3 different styles of bezel, 2-5 dial variations, and a few crown variations all be voted on, you could even vote on the size from 40-45mm, although while 45 or larger is correct for this style a 42mm would be amazing... . I think alot of people would love a watch like this under 4k...

Anything that would do this would have to vintage inspired, hey even Seiko did this with the Turtle re-release... ohh lets do a LE turtle with the original dial not the prospex dial that doesn't work as well... Titanium Turtle with the old dial.... Yeah that would sell really fast...

IDK just my thoughts, and most likely letting my loves and biases affect me...

That's more then we knew ;)

17. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 14, 2017

Oh, I wasn't talking about the limited edition watch, I was talking about an initiative like Speedy Tuesday (or #SpeedyTuesday) where everyone is free to tag along and on which we deliver a new article every week. I can't think of another brand you can do that with to be honest...

However, regarding a LE watch. I think it needs to make sense. With a LE you should commemorate or celebrate something imho. And it should be a perfect 'fit'. If Fratello Watches would team up with IWC or B&M to do a limited edition, without us being true fans or part of some kind of IWC or B&M collector's community (not sure there is one for B&M), it would be very (very!) awkward.

Davidt, marcn, Foo2rama and 3 others like this.
  18. lillatroll Feb 14, 2017

Congratulations. While not a huge speedy fan, I have come to appreciate it for its importance for omega and it is definitely the most talked about watch on this forum. The only speedmaster I own is a speedsonic, not sure if it counts as a speedmaster or a seamaster,or neither but I love mine. I reserved a speedytuesday based purely on its aesthetics. A design that both hardcore speedy fans love and also appeals to Joe watch lover, could only be achieved by people who are passionate and knowledgeable about the speedy. The design team really hit all the right buttons with this one. Well done on your success.

jepoole, Lonestar and watchme like this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2017

I understand what you meant now. I also was not saying those ideas would fit your website just ideas watchmakers could do to capitalize on the reach of the different websites out there.

20. night0wl Feb 14, 2017

Nice , cannot wait to see what Basel brings. Only a few weeks away.

jepoole likes this.