Forums Latest Members
  1. Interstatetime Aug 20, 2016

A modern manual wind. A photographic challenge. Not my usual cup of tea...but growing on me.

Maurice Lacroix Double Retrograde GMT.

JohnCote

[​IMG]

Pakiwi, bigsom, watchknut and 4 others like this.
  2. dx009 Aug 20, 2016

[​IMG]

Sanmilc, Fritz and Interstatetime like this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 20, 2016

Like a fungus? ::rimshot::

I like the retrograde feature, but a double retrograde seems a bit much to me.
    gatorcpa

4. Interstatetime Aug 21, 2016

I took this a partial trade (box/papers/full set) for another watch and I don't have much in it. My watchmaker wears the single retro date version and loves it. I like complicated dials so I like this double version better. I had no intention of keeping the watch (fungus) but...as I said...I am starting to like it. I still think I will end up moving it on but for now it looks good on my wrist when I am a little dressed up.

Anyway, this is the photography section...not the....

JohnCote

5. RegF Aug 21, 2016

Well, I for one really like it!

I had a Longines Master with 4 retrograde indicators.

The running seconds was particularly mesmerising.

To each his own, I guess, but I find the build quality on these Maurice Lacroix Materpiece models to be well above the prices they charge for them.

Edited Aug 21, 2016
    Interstatetime likes this.
  6. Interstatetime Sep 1, 2016

I am still wearing it. I still like it. It is keeping good time. The only thing I can't get used to is the quality of the hands. I know you can't do everything on a cheap $9,000 retail watch but I would think they could take a bit more time with the hands.

JohnCote

7. ulackfocus Sep 1, 2016

I happen to like a lot of Maurice Lacroix designs myself. Used to own a Masterpiece Open Heart.

IMG_1113-2.jpg

Interstatetime likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 1, 2016

A "cheap" $9000 retail watch? ::screwloose:: Only here would that sound like a reasonable description. :whistling:

Schmedsc likes this.
  9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 2, 2016

You're kidding, I hope? A $9,000 retail watch is certainly not a "cheap" watch by mortal standards. Then again - maybe it is to you. But certainly not most people.

A slew of Jaeger Lecoultre watches, Omegas, Rolex's, Nomos's.... all can be had for much less than $9,000.

Larry S likes this.
  10. Interstatetime Sep 10, 2016

For me, the cheap comment had two meanings. First, I guess I am a naturally sarcastic guy so when I said that I guessed you couldn't get decent hands on a cheap ($9,000) watch there might have been a bit of sarcasm intended. Second, when you compare the level of complication of the ML double retro, given its price, to other brands, including Jeager Lecoultre (which you mentioned) it is a lot of watch for the money (a cheap watch). A JLc Master Time and Date with only Power Reserve (no retros) in stainless on a strap retails for as much as the pictured ML...and BTW, the hands are much more nicely made on the JLc.

Having said all that and having tried to defend my "cheap" comment I will admit to being a huge and very prejudiced watch snot. I have been a serious watch collector for at least 40 years and the reason for my original post was that I, a huge and very prejudiced watch snot was sort of growing (growning) attached to this watch...which due to my snottiness...would probably not usually be my cup of tea. ;)

JohnCote
    Confirmed Watch Snot
    Not Snob...Snot

Edited Sep 10, 2016
    Modest_Proposal likes this.
  11. jud Sep 10, 2016

Never seen one before. if you like it, that's all that matters.

12. Interstatetime Sep 11, 2016

Not sure I will admit to liking it...This is the photography section. I should never have said it was growing/growning on me and maybe the comments would have been on the photo...? ::screwloose:: ::facepalm1::

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 11, 2016

in terms of value for money, JLC is hard to beat. Yea they are in terms of super fine finishing, not Patek or ALS or VC, but when I bought my rose gold Master Calendar moon, I had decided it was dammed close to those three and less money. I think their SS watches are a total bargain for the quality you get.