Forums Latest Members

Grey Side of the Moon Available at King of Prussia Boutique!! Lots of pics inside!

1. Shem Dec 27, 2014

Greetings!

There's a Grey Side of the Moon available at the Omega Boutique King of Prussia! It was originally reserved for a client but is now available for general purchase, at least for the weekend. If you want one now, then this is the time...call (610) 337-0296. They'll ship anywhere in the continental US. If you want the name of my favorite sales guy so you know who to ask for, PM me! :)

It's possible if there is another client anywhere in the Boutique network who has put in a deposit, then this one might be shipped out on Monday, so if you want it then I'd call now.

Without further ado, here are a bunch of photos (including DSOTM comparisons). If I didn't have a huge incoming then I would have bought it today myself!

IMG_1265.jpg IMG_1266.jpg IMG_1267.jpg IMG_1268.jpg IMG_1269.jpg IMG_1270.jpg IMG_1271.jpg IMG_1272.JPG IMG_1273.jpg IMG_1274.jpg IMG_1275.jpg IMG_1276.jpg IMG_1277.jpg IMG_1278.jpg IMG_1279.jpg IMG_1280.jpg IMG_1281.jpg IMG_1282.jpg IMG_1283.jpg IMG_1284.jpg IMG_1285.jpg IMG_1286.jpg IMG_1287.jpg IMG_1288.jpg IMG_1289.jpg IMG_1290.jpg IMG_1291.jpg

2. repoman Dec 28, 2014

Great pics Shem... and be careful handling that one, it may be the one I end up getting all the way down here in San Diego. :) I put a deposit down on a GSOTM Friday, after my buddy @Omegawd purchased the one available in our local boutique. After some phone calls were made to the regional Omega folks, they told me there's a likelihood of another being available that could be here as early as Tuesday.

So, thanks for showing me a preview of my watch ::psy:: :D

KstateSkier likes this.
  3. Shem Dec 28, 2014

Grats on your incoming! It'll be funny if it is indeed this one. :) Beautiful watch. I still like it and the original DSOTM equally, for different reasons. Only one solution...eventually get both. :p

4. logan2z Dec 28, 2014

Looks like your AD tried to liquor you up. Mine just gives me bottled water or green tea :)

Great photos. Talked to my AD yesterday and they should have a GSOTM in a week or so. Can't wait to check it out in person.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

Interestingly that lume shot looks totally different from Superdoc's, I wonder if he's got an early production version or something, a couple of the early Darkside owners received a slightly different strap from later ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 28, 2014

Isn't the top one under black light as opposed to just glowing naturally?

7. Shem Dec 28, 2014

My lume shot was taken using a black light pen they keep at the Boutique for showing the lume, so I wouldn't expect it to look the same as when the lume is glowing. I included that shot just to show that there's lume on the tachymetre bezel.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

Ahk gotcha so does it look green in person still once the black light is off?

9. Shem Dec 28, 2014

It looked more blue to my eyes, certainly bluer than the lume of the DSOTM which is quite green.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

Yea it really does look a blue hue in those pics, like even my green lume watches under black light still glow a greenish hue.

11. legends71 Dec 28, 2014

I mean the GSOTM is really breathtaking but the price is a little to high for me. :thumbsdown::(

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

Its a lot more than the Moonwatch but when you compare it to other flagship chronographs like the 116520 Daytona which is 12K in the US and likely to go up soon (already has in Australia, think they move sooner its now about $13.4k USD here) its not unreasonable.

13. richard371 Dec 28, 2014

Agreed. I don't think you will find a better Ceramic watch for less then 12K. If one does id love to see it. I just hope Omega doesn't keep pumping out more iterations of this watch.

14. Shem Dec 28, 2014

Well, they always liquor me up. The Omega Boutique in King of Prussia keeps a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask, one of my favorite Scotch whiskies, on hand to serve to me when I come in. :) I'll tell you, it helps with the pain of swiping the card, that's for sure... :p

repoman likes this.
  15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 28, 2014

A wise strategy on their part, for sure.

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 28, 2014

I'm not sure the GSOTM can be compared with a Daytona...

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

Different materials and strap vs bracelet but they fill the same purpose in their respective lineups as the top non-precious metal chronograph before the big jump in price to 18K models that they're trying to create some exclusivity around.

Although its a bit old now the Daytona's not a bad watch, might not be as special as the greyside but I wear mine more than anything else as its waterproof and saves me damaging any of my good Omegas

18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 28, 2014

Well, I'm no expert but to me the Daytona stands on a category far above the DSOTM and GSOTM watches. It's a classic on it's own, historically and technically. As I understand it it houses one of the most accurate movements of it's class. It's a Race car Watch like the moon watch is an Astronauts or a submariner or SM is a Divers watch. It became luxury by default and by Paul Newmans passion for it. the DSOTM and GSOTM are great watches, but to me they are BELLOW the actual SpeedMaster Pro. They are a little gimmicky, and not just because they share their name with a transformers movie, but because everything about them is made to impress, but I am not sure they bring anything else than that to the Speedy line

Also, no luxury item can should be brought in with those straps. I am not sure if they have an alternate bracelet like the speedy does, IF not it is just a joke.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

Well that would be the Rolex marketing department's position, as far as the movement goes many Daytona lovers see the 4130 as a disappointment after the El Primero and V72 based watches, and as far as accuracy its better than my Speedmasters but not as good as the two ETA 7750s I've had, its biggest feature is its ~72 hour power reserve, mine's actually gone longer and its great for weekends when you're not wearing it.

It wasn't a popular watch at all for most of its life until Rolex redesigned it as an automatic, gave it a quite low MSRP and then severely limited production to intentionally stimulate demand and create the illusion of exclusivity. Then pre-order lengths hit 5 years in some places (including here) as people knew you could buy them for retail and flip them for almost double to a dealer the next day, it was like a cash prize from Rolex if your name was drawn which caused waiting lists to swell further and the whole mythology was created.

The vast majority of Daytona owners wouldn't have a clue who Paul Newman is nor would they take any of the racing stuff seriously, they just know it was a watch with a crazy waiting list that you could sell second hand for many thousands of dollars more than the retail price you paid for it. My brother found out about the waiting list in 2001 and made it his mission to get a black & white purely because of all the people that said you couldn't get one.

The Daytona is an excellent watch to wear, that's enough reason to buy one, its not a level above anything or the most accurate or the most historically and technically perfect its just a great watch.

Fusion, ELV web, Archer and 1 other person like this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

::popcorn::