Forums Latest Members
  1. eustace Jul 15, 2015

Just curious, if you buy a grey market Rolex with box/papers but no AD stamp, and eventually send to Rolex for servicing years down the road, what exactly can, or does happen? Do they refuse to service it? Is it possible to confiscate?

thanks.
    e

2. ulackfocus Jul 15, 2015

Rolex contacts Homeland Security and has you arrested as a domestic terrorist, and freezes your and all your relatives' bank accounts. You end up on the No Fly List and are tattooed with a red R on your forehead so everyone knows your crime on sight.

Matty01, blubarb, TexasKevin and 4 others like this.
  3. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 15, 2015

Right on @ulackfocus! :thumbsup:

image.jpg

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  4. eustace Jul 15, 2015

I do appreciate the humor here, but is it possible to answer the question?

Kind regards,
    eustace

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 15, 2015

And right after they do that, Rolex service your watch and charge you handsomely for the privilege.

BartH likes this.
  6. LeonDeBayonne Jul 16, 2015

There should be no problem, unless the watch was declared as stolen of course. However, the absence of an AD stamp means that the watch will probably not be covered by the guarantee.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 16, 2015

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 16, 2015

No problem, even if you buy it without papers and box as long as the watch is not stolen it's yours and they will take care of it. As stated before you would not have original warranty but most gray market dealers have their own warranty.

blubarb likes this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 16, 2015

Its a good thing he wasnt shot!
    Law enforcement in the USA kill 3 people EVERY DAY.

10. chunkythebulldog Jul 16, 2015

I've bought a few watches through grey dealers and all paperwork, warranty cards etc have always been stamped by the AD as if you had bought it direct through them. I can't see how a Watchco could refuse to honour the warranty on a grey import especially in Europe that has free movement of goods treaties.

11. LeonDeBayonne Jul 16, 2015

To clarify, here is the situation : Eustace buys a new Rolex (or whatever brand) on the grey market with box and papers. If, in the first 2 years, he has a problem with the watch that is caused by an accident, he will probably not be covered by the guarantee for the only reason that the paper has no stamp on it. He will still be able to service it at Rolex (and pay for it) or use the guarantee offered by the seller and get it serviced by the seller for free, but not get it serviced for free at Rolex. This is my understanding. If anyone has a different experience, I'll be happy to hear.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. chunkythebulldog Jul 16, 2015

If anybody has a problem with a watch caused by an accident it will not be covered under warranty, stamp or no stamp. Warranty work would only cover faulty goods / workmanship. ie, not screwing down the crown and immersing in water is an accident, that would not be covered but a faulty gasket which leads to water ingress would be covered.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  13. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 16, 2015

@STANDY...how's this pic? No 'rock on horns' and no hat.

Good? :thumbsup:

image.jpg

STANDY likes this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 16, 2015

Gray dealers do not stamp the original warranty. They can't. In fact they normally offer all paperwork except the brand warranty. Instead they offer their own. That is why they are gray dealers, they don't pay the franchising fees that would allow them to sell with original warranty.. Perhaps you're referring to AD ( authorized dealers, that is, dealers that are not a rolex or omega or whatever exclusive boutique but are authorized by them to sell, and pay the franchising fees. They will have the pertinent Original warranty.

Mad Dog likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 16, 2015

Better :thumbsup: @Mad Dog

I have enjoyed all your pic,s in the time you have been here,that one just looked like it should be on the news with writing underneath ;)

Mad Dog likes this.
  16. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 16, 2015

@Nobel Prize...how do gray dealers go about getting brand name items if they don't pay franchising fees? I've been wondering about this since recently learning of the 'gray market' term since joining OF. :)

17. chunkythebulldog Jul 16, 2015

Yes and no. The grey dealer sources the watch from an AD, in my case a DS & GS from Greece. The warranty card was stamped by the AD in Greece (they are an actual AD as they are on Omega's website as an AD). Grey dealer then imported it into UK and sold it to me. The warranty was stamped by the AD and not the Grey dealer. So for all intents and purposes Omega would never know this was a Grey import watch as I would say I bought it whilst on holiday in Greece with all warranty stamped and dated. I hope that makes sense as I think we are both singing from the same hymn sheet.

Mad Dog likes this.
  18. chunkythebulldog Jul 16, 2015

Grey dealers (GD's) have a network of AD's that they buy watches from. Some AD's might need to turn stock over / realize cash etc so they offer watches to GD's at a discount / cost. The GD that I have used and passed on to friends has always supplied stamped warranty cards but have heard stories that some don't supply warranty cards and also attempt to remove serial numbers from watches.

Mad Dog likes this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 16, 2015

It does, I just haven't seen it happen. You where lucky. I have also have had items sent to me from gray dealers directly from the AD or boutique. But they have always changed the warranty for their own. Even when the shipping label was straight tonne from AD in Beverly Hills.

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 16, 2015

Mainly from the AD directly..

To be honest this is the first in hear about gray dealers providing factory brand warranties stamped. I guess that's why some boutiques also require the receipt along with the warranty card ( in answer to how they would know question) if it does happen it has not happened to me in the US when purchasing through jomashop, jazz time( Don't like them) authenticwatches etc

Mad Dog likes this.