Forums Latest Members

Greetings From a Newbie - 1966 Automatic - Did I Pay the Tax?

1. MrBuhl Oct 14, 2017

Greetings all - first, I'd like to say what a great community you have going here as a brand new member! There are a ton of great resources, and the "spotting fakes" thread is amazing as is the "recommended watches" thread, truly a labor of love from a time standpoint for those who are posting, thank you.

All of that being said, I thought I had done a lot of research, and had a pretty good idea what I was looking at, using the tables here to match the serial number, movement release date, warning signs, etc to try my hand at my first vintage Omega, but now that I'm looking deeper - I'm afraid I've been burned. (fortunately, with great advice here, I paid via Paypal and Credit Card - so I do have buyer protection anyway).

I'm wondering a couple things about this watch specifically, I don't see any reference to KL plus 5 digit caseback numbers, the dial printing doesn't look as crisp as I'd expect given it's an Omega (but I also thought this could be an artifact of the "linen" dial finish), the movement and serial dates seemed to match and looked correct to me though, as did the date window and lume dots with requisite T's and close spaced Swiss Made...

So would anyone be willing to offer an opinion - I'm fearing Frankenwatch. If it is't, what is it exactly in terms of model, I couldn't find an exact match in the Omega Vintage Watch tool either. My only other thought is that it could be one of the American Assembled versions? Any idea shat band would have come on it?

Your time, and your knowledge is much apprecated.
    Cheers
    omegacaseback.jpg omega563movement.png OmegaBack.jpg Omega Automatic.jpg

mikechi22, noelekal and Fritz like this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 14, 2017

I don't think its a frankenwatch, I think you've got something that was cased in a "foreign market". I have a bumper from the early 50s that was cased in the US and a full rotor automatic like yours that was cased in England in 1955. Omega sometimes shipped movements into certain markets and had them cased there to avoid import or luxury taxes. I'll bet its one of those.

Some don't find these as desirable as factory cased watches but it doesn't mean its not legit.

Lets see what the experts say.

MrBuhl likes this.
  3. tdn-dk Oct 14, 2017

4. MrBuhl Oct 14, 2017

Wow - I feel completely humbled, I swear I searched and put in all the filters and never saw that - but then I realized I searched 1966! Ugh!
    So much to learn - but many thanks for the assistance.

5. MrBuhl Oct 14, 2017

Thanks Fritz, I was hoping it might be something like that, but really afraid I'd made a mistake. Heck for the $320 I paid for it, I'll be wearing a beautiful old Omega now instead of a new Seiko! I bought it to wear and enjoy,

6. MrBuhl Oct 14, 2017

Not to mention - this makes it a birth year watch now! :) Even more special!

mikechi22 likes this.
  7. MrBuhl Oct 14, 2017

Edited Oct 14, 2017
  8. kreyke Oct 14, 2017

Did the seller state that the dial is original?

I’m not sure if it’s the crystal+photo combo but the font looks like a redial.

Regardless, it is a genuine omega watch!

MrBuhl likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 14, 2017

I think the crystal surface is distorting the text, linen texture dial with original markings IMO.

MrBuhl likes this.
  10. MrBuhl Oct 14, 2017

Hello and thanks - yes Kreyke, the seller did state original linen dial in the auction as below -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-te...043921?hash=item33d58bd811:g:16EAAOSwEIFZx3hePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks JiminOz - I'm super excited to get it into my hands and on my wrist! I'm assuming it should be serviced asap?

I feel like I dodged a bullet here, I will definitely hang around and get more educated before I go fishing again!

11. mikechi22 Oct 14, 2017

Great watch! Good for you!

MrBuhl likes this.
  12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 14, 2017

I think the dial is original.

The gold figures on these dials are fused on and would typically loose their sharpness during the refinishing process.

A nice wearable US cased Omega automatic.

Edited Oct 14, 2017
    MrBuhl likes this.
  13. panaitchrono Oct 14, 2017

It look great and it's authentic, nice watch.

MrBuhl likes this.
  14. MrBuhl Oct 19, 2017

It arrived two days ago! Really beautiful watch I have to say.

I have an omega alligator strap coming in today for it as I'm not particularly fond of the one it arrived with.

So far, it seems to keep time fairly well, in this short period is has gained approximately 5 seconds per day, that seems OK? Quick-set date works like a charm, everything seems in order.

Once again, many thanks for everyone's help with identifying and determining condition!

20171017_091438_001.jpg
    X350 XJR likes this.
  15. AveConscientia Oct 19, 2017

My 74' Seiko 7005 auto gains about that, I've heard on average autos gain about 5-10 seconds a day. Sounds off to me

MrBuhl likes this.