Forums Latest Members
  1. Jonathan40 Apr 14, 2019

Anyone agree that what Mr Woods did today amounts to the great individual sporting comeback of all time?
    The great Nicklaus achieved a great win in 1986 after many years but golf was a very different sport then. Tiger elevated the sport and was virtually unbeatable for a decade. Then as a result everyone else tried harder rewards got greater and adding personnal reasons including injury and marital the elite of golf began to move further with and the gap widening between Tiger and the best. So fast forward 2018 and he climbs back from being ranked >1200 in the world in 2017 to win the players championship before today doing something most believe impossible. The greatest individual sporting comeback of all time (in my opinion) and tied all time individual sports super star across any sport with Federer.
    Well done Mr Woods take a bow sir.
    Love to hear people’s opinion on this or counter recommendations.

Regards
    Jon

MaiLollo, superfly, Traveler and 2 others like this.
  2. Stufflers Mom Apr 14, 2019

I don't think much of Mr Woods and I expect another fall from grace in the fullness of time, my suspicion is that it will be along the lines of a Lance Armstrong.

Tony C., BlackTalon and MikiJ like this.
  3. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Apr 14, 2019

Well I'm sure Rolex are happy.

4. Jonathan40 Apr 14, 2019

Well I'm sure Rolex are happy.
    I noticed the Sea Dweller on his wrist at the end.

5. Evitzee Apr 14, 2019

I'm not a Woods fan.....his past personal behavior on and off the course was reprehensible and would not have been tolerated if other players had acted that way. But I doff my cap to him coming back from his injuries the last couple of years. Whether it is the greatest comeback in sports history is a stretch.

marco likes this.
  6. MRC Apr 14, 2019

Niki Lauda, 42 days after receiving the Last Rites.

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 14, 2019
    marco, jmazpiazu, Vicke and 15 others like this.
  7. CJpickup57 Apr 14, 2019

Yup

8. Cad290 Apr 14, 2019

He certainly has made mistakes in the past, but people deserve a chance to redeem themselves. I am very happy to see him win today.

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 14, 2019

My issue with Mr. Woods is that he cheated in the 2015 Masters on hole #15 with an illegal placement of his ball after he hit it in the water. Sir Nick was first to point it out and then after he signed his scorecard the Masters' officials assessed him a 2 stroke penalty. However he was not disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. That's on the Masters' for their greed to keep their TV viewers. Shame on them ::facepalm2::

10. starcraft Apr 14, 2019

Not a sporting comeback, rather a musical one.

A great jazz guitarist name Pat Martino emerged in the 60's and 70's. He was known for his high speed alternate picking and unique style in the hard-bop genre. Sadly he had a brain operation which left him with amnesia, including how to play the guitar... He re-taught himself by listening to his own records and made his comeback decades later. He is still alive and an amazing, encouraging spirit. Whenever I hear someone say something is too hard, I think of Pat.

[​IMG]

A great rendition of days of wine and roses pre-amnesia.

11. Muddlerminnow Apr 14, 2019

Steve Jobs & Apple?

(I always thought of Silicon Valley as a place of blood sports....)

Edited Apr 14, 2019
    Vicke and connieseamaster like this.
  12. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Apr 14, 2019

I have no issues with Mr. Woods. None of us are perfect....none of us. I’m an atheist, but there is some good stuff in the Bible, including “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”. I’m not casting any stones at Tiger. His win today was awesome!

13. ATWG Apr 14, 2019

Not a TW fan, today was very impressive and was definitely rooting for him.

14. drhombus24 Apr 14, 2019

Barcelona vs PSG is at the top of comebacks for me.
    D97B760F-E3F0-4AC4-9BF4-B8F4AF5D48C6.jpeg

15. 89-0 Apr 14, 2019

Julio César Chávez vs. Meldrick Taylor
    Fight of the Decade (90s)

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 14, 2019

I can think of two fantastic comebacks. Both were by teams based in Boston.

2004 - The Red Sox were down to their last 9th inning against the New York Yankees in the American League Championship series, then came back to win that game and the next three games to advance to the World Series. Then they swept the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series for their first title in 86 years.

2017 - The Patriots were losing 28-3 to the Atlanta Falcons late in the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl. The Patriots scored 25 straight points to tie the game and won in overtime.

I am by no means a fan of any Boston team. But you have to salute excellence when you see it.

It's hard to compare Tiger's individual accomplishment to any team sport, but the subject of this thread is "Great Sporting Comebacks".
    gatorcpa

BenBagbag likes this.
  17. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Apr 15, 2019

I agree with you on those 2 :)

18. MaiLollo Apr 15, 2019

I have to agree that Tiger’s come back is the greatest in golf. I’m not sure about other sports, but Nicki Lauda’s is in the same vein as he had very serious health problems and came back when no one thought possible.
    It’s not just about coming back from a loss, but from a situation where you thought you wouldn’t be able to play anymore.

I’ve never cared what he did outside the course, and I find it pretty funny that a lot of people would blame him when his life is scrutinized from every angle. Cheating is not a nice thing to do, but is he the first guy in the world to do so? Anyway, the 2019 Masters was a great tournament ::love::

19. peterkirk01 Apr 15, 2019

I know its a bit cheeky , and I am a Leinster Rugby season ticket holder but Leinster V Northampton 2011 Heineken Cup Final in the Millenium stadium in Cardiff was for me the best comeback in modern sports history . Leinster 22-6 down at half time stopped Northampton scoring in the second half and themselves scored 27 points to win by 33-22.

20. Jokr Apr 15, 2019

Federer winning the Australian Open 2017 at the age of 35 after not winning a grand slam for 5 years. But I might be biased, as I'm a huge fan of king roger :whistling: