Forums Latest Members

Great film about early space program

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 19, 2017

Last night I saw a great film about the early days of the Space Program called "Hidden figures", about the first African American women scientists at NASA in 1961.
    A lovely, entertaining and unexpected film if you have a chance to see it, it's a great night out and accessible to adults and children alike (was released in France 10 days ago).
    Cheers,
    S

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 19, 2017

I'll be seeing that one as well. The engineer in me will love the flight sequences and the space program history. But I also know I'll be pretty pissed for a lot of this movie because its also about a sad time when it didn't matter how good you where, being a woman or coloured could get in the way and block your advance. A time that was so very wrong and which has not entirely ended.

I'll likely sniffle a bit during the film, but I'm sure that will be due to dust in the theater...

red crowned and Syrte like this.
  3. Spy You know my name. Mar 20, 2017

About the same time trailer's appeared for that picture a series called Timeless aired an episode where they travel back in time to NASA in the 1960's. One of the lady's portrayed in Hidden Figures was also used in that episode and her highly accurate mathematics played a pivotal roll. Fascinating woman!

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 20, 2017

Actually and despite the sad times depicted it's a pretty uplifting movie and even a funny one at that.

red crowned likes this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 20, 2017

I have heard wonderful things about this movie and have been planning on seeing it at some point in the near future.

Are you catching the speedy fever, @Syrte ?

Syrte likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 20, 2017

I'm totally immune to Speedymania (my bug is a different strain), but I knew fans should like the film :)
    However the film should appeal to a much broader audience...

red crowned and Jwit like this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 20, 2017

NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I depend on Syrte for regular pictures of nice clean classy watches!

red crowned, Jwit and Syrte like this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 20, 2017

I'll take it as a compliment, but you should watch out as I'm afraid the Speedy fans might take it the wrong way.....
    these are sensitive topics as you know. ;)

red crowned and ahartfie like this.
  9. cvrle1 Mar 20, 2017

It was quite a good movie. Octavia Spencer won an Oscar for best supporting role, it was nominated for best picture as well. While it was about NASA, that was just part of the movie that helped move the story forward.

10. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 20, 2017

They brought the real Katherine Johnson (I think that's her name) out on stage at the Oscars. The movie's in my Netflix queue and I'll just ignore the transmission lever in the wrong position in the driving scene!

[​IMG]

11. mr_yossarian Mar 21, 2017

Watched it yesterday, great story, great actors, beautiful movie.