Forums Latest Members

Great Deal Got Cancelled :(

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 5, 2015

I saw a listing on the 'bay I liked at a great price. I have a Cartier Roadster 2510 (3-hand) with interchangeable straps. The listing featured a strap I didn't have but wanted (nylon woven), a welted leather strap my wife prefers (so I can keep it set for her size), an OEM deployant, and a lambskin leather case.
    I clicked "Buy-It-Now" for $300, and sent my payment immediately. You know where I'm going with this, don't cha?
    A few minutes later, I get an email from the seller:
    "Thank you for your interest in this Item, Unfortunately, a posting error was made, Since there is 2 set pair of bands(Each selling for $125-$190) the price should be 500.00 OBO Dollars. We would like to cancel the order."
    Here's the original listing:
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/301653725411Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Oh! Relisted!
    So pissed, but nothing I can do...the PayPal was reversed so I have my money back and no straps. Dang it!
    I checked with Customer dis-Service and posed as a seller who wanted to cancel a done-deal because I listed a Buy-It-Now price that was too low. They said it was a valid reason and there would be no negative implications to my account. Good to know if my item doesn't realize a satisfactory value, I can just say "whoops! I lost it/broke it/out of stock/etc." and reverse the payment.
    I guess I could leave negative feedback but what would I say besides the truth and a meaningless "Beware?"
    Thanks for letting me vent...
    Any consoling advice? I expect "that sucks but get over it." At least, that's my advice to myself...

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 5, 2015

Well, I can message him and ask him if he would take $250?

lwong and Time Exposure like this.
  3. repoman Jun 5, 2015

Some people just have no honor. If its possible to leave neg feedback, I certainly would.

Time Exposure likes this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 5, 2015

Well, mistakes do happen and 300 was certainly too good to be true. That said 500 may be too high of those items are used. I had a watch mislabeled on eBay and it sold. Fortunately the mistake was within my comfort zone so I honored the sale. The buyer was lucky, very lucky.

Edited Jun 8, 2015
    noelekal likes this.
  5. M_franco Jun 5, 2015

Bought a very nice steel tri compax from around the 50's this year for $1250 sent the money via paypal and the guy shipped it. 5 weeks later he alost lost it because of the post office being crap in Brazil, either way the watch never got to me and it sold on eBay for 6k recently. Sadly these things happen!

6. M_franco Jun 5, 2015

And I did get my money back of course!

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 5, 2015

If you make a mistake, you should be man enough to take it on the chin and accept it as a lesson learned rather than try to get out of a contract. Would you want to associate with someone on a personal level who has that little integrity? (I'm not saying that you should want to be friends with every eBay seller)

I don't know if the Law of Tort exists in other countries, but one of the first things we learned in Contract Law, at college, was about "Offer and Acceptance".

If he posted to the UK, this seller would go on my list of people with whom I will not spend my money. It is an ever increasing list of sellers who pull listings, late on and then re-list - a spreadsheet simply labelled "Not Trustworthy". He does, now, feature on the new second tab, in case he changes his demographic in the future. Congratulations to allvalleypawn2012.

8. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2015

[sarcasm] Just one more reason to love eBay. [/sarcasm]

9. lillatroll Jun 6, 2015

If it helps. ..I ordered a signed 1st edition book by Robert Gailbrath for 22 pounds. Two days later it was all over the media that this actually written by JK Rowling and my order was cancelled. The book was going for 5000 quid after that.

Mothra likes this.
  10. TexOmega Jun 7, 2015

The only one that still knaws at me is the "it was stolen out of my car on the way to the Post Office" spiel.:rolleyes: Bul::censored:: t !!

Ya'll can still tell I'm not bitter, right?

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 8, 2015

So I left a negative feedback within 80 characters (hard to do):
    "Seller set BIN price, cancelled after payment. Relisted for higher price. Beware"
    Nothing beyond the truth.
    I received this from the seller, or did I? The message seems to imply the seller did not post the item?
    "Why would u leave such bad feedback, when it was clearly explained that the item was sold for WAY too much under what it was worth, The lister didnt list the item which had 2 sets of bands, making the item much more expensive. It was an honest human mistake. 300 dollars for an item worth 500 isnt a fair transaction. So please, why dont u do the right thing. and change that feedback, we are a professional establishment and our seller made an honest human mistake."
    The listing clearly describes two straps, and the photos support it. Value is subjective. Not sure if I should continue the pissing match with a response, or just keep quiet...?

12. Flingit1200s Jun 8, 2015

In my unpopular black and white world there are two possible results to a mistake like this. Either there is a sale and a supposed loss of money or there is a loss of reputation. The seller chose the loss of reputation so his reputation on this day is worth $200. ::rimshot::

13. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 8, 2015

I'm pretty sure he can also choose to 're-make the original deal' for you, and you can retract the negative feedback. Also pretty sure he knows that.

Maybe he will be more careful next time (or just change eBay 'identities'::facepalm2::)

Time Exposure and noelekal like this.
  14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 8, 2015

Your feedback is well-earned by this jerk.
    Now, he wants to "Get out of jail free"? (so he can screw others more easily!)

Note all his info and then try to move on without wasting another minute on his sorry ass. I believe you can even post a warning on Google as long as you remain truthful, maybe @SpikiSpikester can help us stay out of trouble.

In this world, there are givers and there are takers......
    Us givers should always be proud.

Time Exposure and noelekal like this.
  15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 8, 2015

I haven't responded to the seller yet. I think I'm making him anxious.
    I won't do business with this seller even if he offered to honor the deal (don't trust him). But I'm not out for blood either. I'm thinking I should keep the feedback unchanged, but I want to do the right thing. Here's the second plea from the seller, and I'm amused he thinks I approved the cancellation when in fact I would love for the transaction to be enforced (no luck with that as you know):
    "Please, A simple misunderstanding and human mistake is no reason for such bad feedback, ive been using ebay since 2004 and I would never do such a thing, Im sure your upset that you didnt get this item at such a low, low price. I would like for this to be resolved without ebay getting involved. Waiting to hear back from you, to see what ur decision is about removing or changing the feedback. Neutral would be better than your negative feedback, since it was all misunderstand and you were emailed prior to cancellation, which you also approved as well. Have a Blessed day."

Should I change to Neutral? I don't want to ask anything of him (again, no trust).
    BTW, I've never left negative feedback until now, after hundreds of transactions. I had no idea it's such a big deal to the seller! But I guess I'd be upset too if I thought it wasn't deserved.
    But this seller deserves it. I think...

16. Flingit1200s Jun 8, 2015

I wouldn't change it. He made a mistake and he made his choice. Maybe I am a bit jaded or just out of touch though. It seems that everyone thinks they are entitled to a "do over" when they make a mistake. As an adult, I have paid many a penalty for my errors and no do overs. I always thought part of maintaining your integrity was own up to your mistakes, fix them quickly and fairly and then move forward with the resolve not to repeat. Yeah, I'm sure I am out of touch......sorry gents. :thumbsup:

noelekal, Paedipod and Taddyangle like this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 8, 2015

I'd leave it. You paid. He canceled. He cancelled to sell at higher price.

18. redpcar Jun 8, 2015

Leave the neg.
    In my early days of ebay, I spelled Heuer as Huer in my listing. $125 for a $500+ watch. I ate it. My mistake. Received great feedback :(

Nobel Prize likes this.
  19. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 8, 2015

The seller made two mistakes. He should have known better after his first one.

But then, he made a second mistake by cancelling the 'deal' that had already been made, without any thought to you as a buyer. I agree he deserves the negative. You should feel good about your decision.

At this point, for me, the only way I would change to neutral, would be if he voluntarily sent the goods without any expectation of payment for such. This would be like the equivalent of an alcoholic, now sober and after a spiritual transformation, trying to make amends for the pain and suffering he caused (or, it could also be a watch-a-holic doing the same :D). I'd be shocked and amazed; wouldn't expect that kind of miracle from this guy. But, if the miracle did happen, I would probably pay him the original BIN value and change feedback to neutral.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

oddboy, UncleBuck and Flingit1200s like this.
  20. Difeer Jun 8, 2015

Keep the negative feedback and leave it as that. Clearly the seller is not as professional as he/she thinks and he/she, and more importantly future buyers, deserve to know that. Plus it will just leave a bad taste in the mouth even if you receive the goods now.