Forums Latest Members

[Gratuitous Bragging Inside] - Watch Accuracy of 48 Yr Old Constellation.

1. Dedalus05 Apr 18, 2018

Hey All,

Bear with me while I say a word about my watch's accuracy (C-Shape Connie 168.029, calibre 751). I detailed the circumstances of my purchase of a 1970 Omega Constellation here a month or two ago.

Since I took ownership of the watch I decided first thing to check it's accuracy and found the watch was losing approximately a minute and a half a day. Not bad for a 48 year old watch, but not good enough either to my mind. Given I paid over the odds for the watch from a brick 'n mortar store precisely so I could address issues quickly if they arose, back she went.

At the store I heard some guff about the watch perhaps having run out of service in the shop window (plausible?), but was assured they'd give it a fresh service immediately. Three weeks later I took possession of the watch again on April 11th. Immediately I started to measure it's accuracy again using WatchCheck. After seven days here are the results:

Screenshot_20180418-131820.png

48 years old and averaging -0.4 seconds a day after a week! I am astonished. I had no idea it would be so accurate. Apart from looking gorgeous on my arm, this thing is far more accurate that my relatively hum-drum lifestyle could ever demand of it.

Anyway, just a bit of gratuitous boasting on my part - cause I am understandably delighted with myself (also, it's my birthday :) ).

20180418_134443.jpg

If anyone is still following, the chap in the shop said the knurled bazel on this model is not white-gold. But I am not sure - it looks so pretty. How can one tell, do ye know?

D

Edited Apr 18, 2018
    Spruce, Rman, adi4 and 3 others like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 18, 2018

See mention of the bezel in the link below.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016042...index.php/data-watch/omega/13-watch/omega/723

Note that the information came from an early version of the official Omega website. Doesn’t get any better than that.

The above only applies if the bezel is original to the watch. Omega sold replacement bezels in steel, so maybe your jeweler replaced it?

White gold is slightly lighter in color than steel, so there should be some contrast with the rest of the case.

That’s all I got.
    gatorcpa

Edited Apr 18, 2018
    Dedalus05 likes this.
  3. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Apr 18, 2018

Happy Birthday Dedalus05:thumbsup:

Dedalus05 likes this.
  4. Dedalus05 Apr 18, 2018

@gatorcpa - so it is white gold! And there is definitely a contrast - fantastic.

The chap I spoke to in the shop, while terrible nice, was wrong on one other point as well. I asked at the time if the crystal was an original Omega signed crystal. He said 'no', but you can clearly see the signature in close up pics (just about makeoutable in the pic above). In his defense perhaps he thought I'd asked if it was the original crystal. Either way, even though I paid a little more than market price the crystal, the accuracy, and the white gold make me feel like I got a steal.

5. M'Bob Apr 18, 2018

I can take people bragging about their watches. When they go on about how they have the greatest kids, the smartest dog, or how their mother is the best cook...

Dedalus05 and Spruce like this.
  6. ulackfocus Apr 18, 2018

I can even tolerate most of that (until the pictures start). I'm tired of a few other things, which spawned a joke:

Q: How can you tell if a person runs marathons, has a rescue pet, or is a vegetarian / vegan?
    A: You don't need to figure it out - they'll tell you multiple times.

M'Bob, Dedalus05 and felsby like this.
  7. ulackfocus Apr 18, 2018

Oh, @Dedalus05 - I once had a Constellation with a caliber 564 inside that had a line so flat on the timing graph that it looked like a dead man's cardiograph. Those 55x / 56x / 60x / 75x movements are capable of extreme stability and accuracy.

Dedalus05, lando and Caliber561 like this.
  8. adi4 Apr 18, 2018

That is only in case you missed the 10 “26.2” stickers on their car. There’s usually a correlation between the number of stickers and how out of shape that person is...

9. ulackfocus Apr 18, 2018

There's probably a couple 13.1 stickers too.

I'm waiting to see a car (probably a hybrid) that has the above-mentioned marathon stickers, the COEXIST multi-symbol bumper sticker, a sticker with a reference to saving animals by being a vegan / vegetarian, plus a " I ♥️ my ________" (fill in dog breed) and/or " Who rescued who? Paw Prints.png " sticker. If I ever see that car, I'll be sure to get pictures documenting it, and [sarcasm] congratulate the driver for being such a flawless human being. [/sarcasm]

Edited Apr 18, 2018
    Dedalus05 likes this.
  10. adi4 Apr 18, 2018

Easy, just fly down to Austin, you'll probably spot a couple on your way out of the airport.

Dedalus05 likes this.
  11. Edward53 Apr 19, 2018

@Dedalus05 vintage Omegas are full of surprises. This was my first decent one, acquired in 2012. I haven't worn it much recently but I once kept it on for a month and at the end it was 12 seconds out. After several decades, whether or not a watch is chronometer rated doesn't seem to mean much and it's mostly down to luck. Belated birthday greetings btw!

New 027.jpg

Dedalus05 and Spruce like this.
  12. Dedalus05 Apr 19, 2018

Thanks for the feedback everyone, the birthday wishes, and in particular the advice about boasting. I'll be sure to stay humble around here.

Sent from my iPhone.

13. paulwatch001 Apr 19, 2018

Happy birthday.
    Cracking watch, illustrates that sometimes paying over the odds from bricks and mortar stores is an option. Especially if it’s the watch you really want.
    Enjoy!

Dedalus05 likes this.