Forums Latest Members
  1. LCB-III Jun 15, 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here. I´m from Germany - so please dont be disappointed about my writing skills.

My Grandma gave me my grandfather's Omega Seamaster without the any documents or infomation about the year he bought it. It must be something roundabout 1950-60s.

I don´t know much about it.
    I went to the Local Omega Store in Hamburg. But the Guy at the Counter wants to sell watches and not to answering questions questions about the year, model, price etc. He just want me to send it to the Omega-Factory to refresh it for 500€. Last thing he knows: It´s not the Original Band, has to be sold with Leather. Thanks to them, not.

So, after a couple of days searching on Google i dont know anthing more. Can someone help me?

When was the Watch released?
    Which band is the original?
    What was the price back then?
    How is the value today?

I dont know what I have to know about my first watch.
    So if you can - please help me.

Leo :)

IMG_6933.JPG IMG_6931.JPG IMG_6935.JPG IMG_6932.JPG IMG_6934.JPG
  2. abrod520 Jun 15, 2020

Haven't seen one of these in a bit! These are sometimes known as the "Speedmaster Companion" because of the dial's similarity to that model. That may get you a bit more information here (using the search at the top of the page) or on the web.

GuiltyBoomerang and LCB-III like this.
  3. Davidt Jun 15, 2020

Edited Jun 15, 2020
  4. Davidt Jun 15, 2020

LCB-III likes this.
  5. vbrad26 Jun 15, 2020

Well that was a pleasant "reveal".
    Can't tell you much other than I like it!

6. LCB-III Jun 15, 2020

Wow, that was not an hour and i got way more infomation than before. You´re all great!

I found so much, but not that one.
    166_002-1.jpg
    This one above i found with a day-display? (i dont know the exact word)
    • Red Logo
    • White Font

2018-02-23 004.JPG This five above (middel one)
    • No Red Logo
    • No white Second Hand

My Watch has
    • Red Logo
    • white Font
    • white Second Hand (others are Silver)

7. DON Jun 16, 2020

Probably around 1968. From Omegas line of scientific styled dials. Lot of variations based off Omegas two larger models of the time

The Speedmaster and Seamaster 300

Yours is a variation of the Speedmaster model, but not a Speedmaster Companion

In order to know what you have. The back needs to be removed in order to find the reference number

Could be a caliber 550 or maybe a 552

These are the only two models that qualify as Speedmaster and Seamaster 300. All others are variations in a sub category

Not the best pictures of what I had. 1MP camera back then

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DON

LCB-III likes this.
  8. connieseamaster Jun 16, 2020

Omega made a lot of different combinations of dials and hand sets under the 165.002 reference, so while you may not readily find your exact variation, it's almost definitely a 165.002. and a very nice one at that! :thumbsup:

The first photo in your comment is a 166.002 (almost the same except for the date window).

LCB-III likes this.
  9. Syzygy Jun 16, 2020

And just because I haven't seen it noted in this thread yet, I'd recommend NOT sending it to Omega as they will likely take away all the 'aged' parts and send back a watch as close to 'new looking' as possible. A lot of the charm in a vintage piece is the aging process over time...keep it original and find a watchmaker that will do a compassionate service, but be explicit that you want to keep this one original.

You have a sharp looking piece, with the added personal value of family history!

Welcome to OF. You'll find an overwhelming amount of information and knowledge here, and the members are very generous with their time and knowledge. The search function will turn up loads of details!

10. LCB-III Jun 17, 2020

Thanks a lot!

11. LCB-III Jun 17, 2020

Yes, Thank you. I think you are completly right!

"A lot of the charm in a vintage piece is the aging process over time...keep it origin" - Syzgy, 2020

12. LCB-III Jun 17, 2020

Another question:

Can you recommend me a good matching band? Original would be leather, but i like steel oder Silver. At best somthing same aged from Omega.

13. DON Jun 17, 2020

Could try a beads of rice bracelet - 7 link model

[​IMG]

Next a Bonklip model. Used on a number of military and other s/s watches

[​IMG]

Or plain leather strap. black stitching

DON

LCB-III and Davidt like this.
  14. Davidt Jun 17, 2020

Couldn't agree more @DON

Those are the two bracelets I'd recommend for this mode. A flat link bracelet such as the 1035 would look great as well but would likely cost as much, if not more than the value of the watch (unless @Forstnerbands have their flat link ready soon?).

LCB-III likes this.