Forums Latest Members
  1. invein Aug 11, 2017

Hi everyone!
    First off: I know close to nothing about watches and never wore any till now, but this one got sentimental value for me so I want to learn as much as I can about it and also consider wearing it in the future.

My grandfather died 12 years ago and he was the most important person in my life back then. So when my family found his old watch and gave it to me on my 30th birthday I really shed some tears of joy and nostalgia. I started researching what model it could be but since it doesn't say anything on the dial or the back and I really don't know how to open it - well let's just say the hours of googling and clicking through the omega vintage database haven't paid off. Noone in my family knows when and where my grandfather bought it, nor do I know if it's even real to begin with.

Here are some more pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/jxw4H

As you see, it's not in the best shape, grandpa wore it a lot over the years, but it still seems to work.

Its weight is about 61.5g with the gold wristband (14k gold - at least that's what it says on the wristband)
    Crystal is plastic, plexiglass probably.

Does anybody here know what model this might be or if it's fake? Also can you tell me how to open it without breaking anything - then I could do pictures from the inside.

Thank you very much in advance :)

20170811_171210.jpg 20170811_171246.jpg

2. lillatroll Aug 11, 2017

Hello
    If you go to a watchmaker ask them to take the watch back off. On the inside will be a reference number. On the mechanism will be a small three didgit number which will tell you what movement is inside it. Using the refrence number first will allow you to identify the watch and if it has the correct movement, dial, hands etc. Looks correct so far but using the refrence number will tell you all you need to know. It probably/ defin ately needs a service. Tell us where in the world you are and some one will recommend a watchmaker. Do not be put off by the cost, a couple of hundred pounds/euro/dollar is normal. Enjoy your watch.

invein likes this.
  3. invein Aug 11, 2017

Thank you. I'm based in Vienna, Austria.

I know it really needs a service, and I know that it's gonna cost x-) Just wanted to ask if anyone has ever seen such a model. If anyone could recommend a watchmaker in Vienna, would be great. Otherwise I'd probably start at the official Omega store in Vienna :)

4. lillatroll Aug 11, 2017

It's a fairly common watch, the bracelet might be a later replacement or special order. It is probably a seamaster or Geneva depending on the age. As said the refrence number will tell you all you need to know. Would t bother asking omega to fix it.

5. invein Aug 11, 2017

Ok, will go to a watchmaker then. I figured it might be a Seamaster, De Ville or Geneva, but I haven't found any that look exactly like this one. Thank you :)