Forums Latest Members
  1. Vulffi Apr 17, 2017

Hi dear forum members,

I have always loved to read stories about our forefathers watches and how they have been passed on from generation to generation. So far I have never experienced it myself, but this time it is very close :).
    During Easter dinner at my wife's parents my father in law mentioned that he had a few years ago gone to a Hotel where a London firm was buying used quality watches. They bought his steel Seamaster right away, but were not keen on his fathers old gold Omega. I got really interested and asked if I could see his fathers watch. It turned out to be a gold capped ? C-shape Constellation on a Speidel bracelet that was bought at the same time. No box or papers anymore.

Affa Omega 1.jpg

The crystal has a lot of scratches (original Omega), the crown is wrong and it was his daily beater so it has had a hard life ?

Affas Omega 2.jpg

Affas Omega 4.jpg

Affas Omega 5.jpg

Affas Omega 6.jpg

Affas Omega 7.jpg

Affas Omega 8.jpg

Affas Omega 9.jpg

Affas Omega 10.jpg

Affas Omega 11.jpg

I can clearly feel three different positions for the crown, but it does not change the date when pulled to the outermost position like my own cal. 564 does. I will ask my watchmaker to open it to get the ref. , serial number and pictures of the movement.
    Can you dear forum readers help me with more information meanwhile ?
    What else do I need to know?
    Any other interesting observations ?

Vulffie

Affas Omega 3.jpg
    GregH and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. TNTwatch Apr 17, 2017

Could be ref 168.017, but you're gonna get all that at the watchmaker's anyways. What you need to know now is are there any pictures of the steel Seamaster that was sold - it could be something interesting there ;)

3. werdna77 Apr 17, 2017

Looks like a nice piece. I agree on the Seamaster - would love to know what reference caught their eye. Side note, in my experience Those Speidel bands tend to be rough on the case so you may want to change that if it is being worn a lot.

4. Vulffi Apr 18, 2017

I understood that the Seamaster was a basic steel version from the middle of sixties. It had been his daily beater for over 30 years. Lost the glass, had the minute hand bent and bent back... I don´t think the buyers paid many hundred euros.

TNTwatch likes this.
  5. Vulffi Apr 18, 2017

Sorry no pictures of it...

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 18, 2017

My money is on a CD168.017SP with a 564.

The date should change when the crown is pulled from position 1 to position 2. If it doesn't I would recommend a trip to the watchmaker.

Everything else looks good to me, especially that beautiful dial and the crisp medallion.

Oh, yeah, ditch the Speidel lug chewer too.

werdna77 likes this.
  7. Vulffi Apr 20, 2017

CD 168.017 SP with a Cal. 564 was right on the money :), but is it worth any money ?
    To fix it up will cost 400 - 500 euro for labor and parts + at least 100 e for a new decent 19 mm strap. Looking on the net that's about what similar watches are going for. So the watchmakers comment that I will not get my money back is true.
    But off course this one has a history within the family :) so it is worth getting it fixed.

8. Vulffi Apr 20, 2017