Forums Latest Members

Grandfather's watch back in rotation

1. blunosr Jun 4, 2017

Just one bad wrist shot but happy to have it back. I've had it since late eighties when he died and wore it in the nineties as my formal watch. It stopped, I took it to a jeweler who told me it would be too expensive to repair. Put in in a drawer and didn't think much about it until a few years ago and the cost was less of an issue for me. Anyway, just had a full service done and it is working great. I am in western suburbs of Chicago and used Swiss Service Center and was happy with the experience.
    image.jpg

Tik-Tok of Oz, Vitezi, Jwit and 9 others like this.
  2. Canuck Jun 4, 2017

If it is determined that a watch can be satisfactorily repaired, the decision as to whether it is "worth" repair should probably be left to the owner of the watch. Performing heroic restoration work on a lot of ordinary watches may not make a lot of sense. But on important sentimental pieces? Why not?

Tik-Tok of Oz, Jwit and Mad Dog like this.
  3. Egatdagi Jun 4, 2017

This one has a broken date function and I, too, was told it wasn't worth fixing.
    IMG_4382.JPG

Tik-Tok of Oz and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 4, 2017

Papa John's pizza guy offered a $250k bounty for his stolen 1971 Camaro based on sentimental value.
    Value is based on what someone will pay, ebay has built an empire on this principle.

@blunosr, I think you got a great deal.

5. blunosr Jun 4, 2017

image.jpg I agree . He was a longliner dory fisherman out of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia and tough as nails. I have an old zippo lighter of his and I'd fight a gorilla to keep it but just had to wait to get the watch in running condition. Just funny that his daily wearer is a special occasion wearer now. Him on the far right probably before he owned the watch.

Tik-Tok of Oz and PEIslander like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 5, 2017

Looks like wonderful spring day in Newfoundland and Labrador, eh! ;)

I service a ton of very sentimental watches, and often they are not worth much on the market - that's not really important to the owners though.

Cheers, Al

Tik-Tok of Oz, blunosr and UncleBuck like this.
  7. FREDMAYCOIN Jun 5, 2017

Whoever says its not worth fixing, either doesn't know what he is doing or his pricing is ridiculous.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 5, 2017

Glad you found a good watchmaker in the western burbs. The jeweler you consulted was an uninformed ass. I'm sure you discovered that it wasn't too expensive and having a family heirloom back on your wrist is priceless.

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.