Forums Latest Members
  1. mrmagloo Aug 22, 2017

First post, so please bear with me. I'm not really sure what I have but this was my grandfathers, and the story is, he got it from his father when he returned from WWII. The only paperwork detail I have is an appraisal from Jewelry Store in 1999 that states:

"Gents 14K yellow gold Omega wristwatch. The watch is an Automatic Chronometer, Constellation with a white dial. The attached band is a 14k yellow gold 18mm wide mesh style with a folder over clasp."

I've been trying to research more on exactly what it is, but the time line doesn't work out. I believe he left the military in 1945 or 1946, and recently found the Constellations first were manufactured in 1952, so that threw me a curve ball. I have searched high and low for a photo of a similar watch to get some clues, and the closest I've got on the Omega website gallery is from 1954 which the same case, band, but it had the pie pan dial and a different clasp, with the logo on it. I think it's early to mid 50's now, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

So, I'm kind of stumped. Omega hasn't replied to my requests for further info, because I'm in the US? What's with that?

If anyone has any ideas to help me figure out this mystery, please let me know. TIA.

IMG_20170821_170359226.jpg IMG_20170821_170520841.jpg IMG_20170821_170550607.jpg IMG_20170821_172922096.jpg

AveConscientia likes this.
  2. cristos71 Aug 22, 2017

This is not really the thread for inquiries, you'd be better off starting another thread in the Vintage Omega Forum. Looks to me like a possible 14381 from around 1959/60 or thereabouts in 14/18kt gold. The dial looks to have been refinished and the gold bracelet is aftermarket.

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 22, 2017

+1 for @cristos71 's comments.
    Could be even a couple of years later.
    Lots of 'family recollection' posts here are a few years out.
    Still a nice watch to remember your grandfather.

4. mrmagloo Aug 22, 2017

Thanks for the info. I thought this would be appropriate for the Vintage Constellation thread, so sorry for the mistake. However, the info you provided is far more than I had, so thanks.

5. cristos71 Aug 22, 2017

We can help you further if you can provide pictures of the inside case back and movement

6. mrmagloo Aug 22, 2017

Thanks for the offer, but I don't know how to open it. I tried just using my hands to spinning the back off counter-clockwise, but it won't budge, and I'm afraid to put crude household tools to it. It appears this requires some kind of a 6 sided custom tool to fit the reliefs? Is there a safe trick to it?

PS - I would be more than willing to start this over as a separate thread. Don't want to disrupt anything here. Sorry!

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 22, 2017

A separate thread would be a good idea.
    The Mods might move it for you.

Please don't try and remove the back with household tools - it's gold and soft and you are likely to wreck the case back.
    You can try a soft rubber ball if you can lay your hands on one - otherwise entrust your watch to a competent watchmaker.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2017

You could try one of those shiny sticky rubber balls. like this one. Press hard and turn.
    upload_2017-8-23_7-59-12.jpeg

If that does not work , there are are Omega dealers in Chicago you could visit. Just don't go to some kiosk in the mall or department store.
    Take pictures with a phone of the movement and the inside of the back.

9. mrmagloo Aug 23, 2017

Thank you for moving this post to a new thread. I will try to run out to Walmart to find one of these sticky balls and see if I can open it.

I was really surprised to hear that the bracelet was not original, as I've seen extremely similar watches with the identical bracelet, but with the Pie Tin face. The clasp was different though.

I will report back asap. Thanks!!

Edited Aug 23, 2017
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2017

Many times dealers sold aftermarket bracelets to go with the watch. Here is one that I have.

168_001b.jpg 0663.jpg

AveConscientia, mikechi22 and Jwit like this.
  11. mrmagloo Aug 23, 2017

Hmm, so perhaps mine originally came with a leather band and they upgraded it? I guess we will learn more if I can ever get the back cover open. Thanks!

12. redpcar Aug 23, 2017

Dollar Tree has the sticky balls...........for a dollar. You might be walking up and down the isles in Walmart for some time only to find disappointment.
    Get the inflatable ball that has a stupid picture of a fruit-person-animal. It is about the size of a baseball or softball.
    They are great for gold cases because even the best tools will leave marks on the soft gold.

AveConscientia likes this.
  13. perks713 Aug 23, 2017

You can also pick up a watch back opener on amazon for pretty cheap. You run the risk of scratching the back though so you have to be careful. I bought a 3 prong one for $6.

Edit: missed that the back might be gold too, probably not worth doing it with a tool from amazon if it is. Back of my watches were stainless steal, and I practiced it on my cheap old Fossil watch till i felt comfortable enough doing it with my omega.

14. redpcar Aug 23, 2017

Newbie with a watch case wrench on gold? I would recommend a qualified watchmaker. Only bad things will happen otherwise.

cristos71 and perks713 like this.
  15. perks713 Aug 23, 2017

Agreed, I was actually editing my post when yours popped up :)

redpcar likes this.
  16. mrmagloo Aug 23, 2017

Thanks for the tips. I will look for a Dollar store. Thx!

17. mrmagloo Aug 23, 2017

Good news is, found a Dollar TREE Store in the next town over.

Bad news is, I brought the watch and tried every kids ball in the place and the back wouldn't budge.

Worse news is, as I was leaving and putting the watch back on, I noticed that the torqueing put slight diagonal bends in the band. I was able to carefully tweak those out, but I think I'll avoid this trick again!

18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 23, 2017

Well it's off to the watchmakers then if you want a better idea of the year.
    Your watch wil need a service if you intend to wear it.
    If you let folks know what state you're in I'm sure you'll get some recommendations.

19. mrmagloo Aug 23, 2017

Yeah, I think at this point I've pretty well confirmed that the watch is not from the mid to late 40's, and probably more, late 50's to early 60's. The bracelet or band is probably not stock. It was appraised for $3,300 in 1999, and it might have appreciated a bit. I don't know about that, but I have no plans to let it go, so I'm just very thankful for what you all have been able to share.

20. ConElPueblo Aug 24, 2017

The point about the gold bracelet isn't that hard to understand, IMO. Imagine walking in to a jeweller's store in the sixties, looking at an expensive gold watch, and when specifying a gold bracelet, the seller pulls out to nearly identical bracelets - one an original Omega item and the other a model the seller himself makes. Both are high quality, solid gold bracelet, but one of them is much more expensive and only has an Omega logo to show for it. You'd really have to want that logo to pay the premium!

Re. appraisal - as it has a redial, it will be fairly uninteresting for collectors, so the added value beyond melt value isn't that great. Solid gold Constellations aren't my area of expertise (...Don't ask me what area might be, I have no clue), but the evaluation given 18 years ago will be pretty difficult to realise in a sale today. Insurance appraisals are something else entirely and cannot translate into sales prices.

Davidt and Spruce like this.