Forums Latest Members
  1. Rezer Jan 1, 2019

My grandfather recently passed away and while clearing out his things I found an old, rusty poor condition Speedmaster professional. From observing different makes and models I believe it might be a fake or at the least some kind of frankenwatch - at the very least I am aware that the bracket is not original.

Was wondering if some people could provide me some opinions on the authenticity of the watch based on some photos? Thanks for your help in advance Omega fans!

B5EB4D66-7002-449E-84E7-A32694AD663B.jpeg A6E02F8E-EF75-4F44-BF04-6D72A8AEB2D4.jpeg A836B9A4-E566-4672-8A49-36F8B307C093.jpeg 99673ECD-F72D-4E1F-A908-D9F0ACD08E3F.jpeg
  2. bigsom Jan 1, 2019

Wow! Man this is good! Congrats on what you're going to learn about. I wouldn't count my eggs before the chick has hatched, but you have a special watch on your hands.

@Robert-Jan has an excellent article and a good place to start in learning about your watch: https://www.fratellowatches.com/speed-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-racing-145-022-68/

Edit - in my excitement I was quite rude. Of course condolences to you and your family. It's really difficult to lose loved ones and being in a watch forum sometimes we get excited when we see cool watches.

Edited Jan 1, 2019
  3. KingCrouchy Jan 1, 2019

Hello to me it looks like a genuine
    Speedmaster Racing 145.022-68
    Amazing piece!

connieseamaster and Rezer like this.
  4. Rezer Jan 1, 2019

Thank you both for your insight - if it does turn out to be genuine any idea on how I would go about restoring such an awesome watch? As it was my grandfather’s I’d really like to be able to wear it to honor him.

5. bigsom Jan 1, 2019

Really the watch looks in such fantastic shape, I would only have the crystal replaced with the correct omega replacement (keep the original safe and tucked away) and have the movement serviced by a well known vintage omega expert. Clear instructions not to replace any parts without your clearance or to polish the case or touch up any perceived blemishes. There are a few of these watchmakers and I think you'll want to take your time and go slow, learn as much as you can!

Pun, Rezer and tikkathree like this.
  6. seekingseaquest Jan 1, 2019

Where are you located? You’re going to want to be very careful with who handles this watch. Experts here can tell you where to send it.

Syrte, Speedmasterfan88, Pun and 7 others like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 1, 2019

Let us know what country your in. A suitable watchmaker will ne advised.

A special watch worth a fair bit of coin. (For this particular model)

Take it slow and read alot before you do anything.

8. Rezer Jan 1, 2019

I live in Australia. Would it be worth asking a restorer for advice on how to handle it? I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now and will def want to take things slowly and learn as much as I can before doing anything at all. Seriously thanks everyone for your advice!

Speedmasterfan88, Pun and tikkathree like this.
  9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 1, 2019

I would recommend messaging @photo500

He does great work, is in Aus and also a collector.

LeonDeBayonne, lando, MikiJ and 6 others like this.
  10. boogedyboo Jan 1, 2019

If you are feeling overwhelmed, just take it slow and do some research online.

Don't do anything rash.

The watch looks like it is in great condition so restoration is not necessary. It may look beat up to you but from a vintage point of view, it is fantastic.

11. Rezer Jan 1, 2019

Thank you for your advice, I will message him for sure.

MikiJ and Taddyangle like this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 1, 2019

Live in Darwin

As said no rush for anything. @photo500 is a member here and has a shop in Perth. He will hold your hand the whole way.

PM me if you want to chat

nonuffinkbloke, marco and Rezer like this.
  13. ndgal Jan 2, 2019

@Rezer Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on owning a very rare variant of the 145.022-69 Speedmaster with a “Racing” dial.
    This watch is very valuable.
    Please note that there is really nothing to “Restore” about it.

All it needs is a service, an original period crown, and a correct period 1039/516 bracelet if you care to make it 100% correct again.

Please do not let any “Jeweler” or neighborhood watchmaker touch this watch.

You need to find a shop or watchmaker that specializes in vintage watches and knows how to handle these pieces.

Your grandfather had good taste! I hope you enjoy the watch for many more years to come.

14. tikkathree Jan 2, 2019

I don't believe anything has been said thus far about whether this watch runs or for how long it might have lain in its present condition. I think my first advice is please don't force anything.
    The brown stuff on the back of the lugs might be corrosion, it might be "wrist cheese" I can't tell but as the watch is in the warm Australian climate I'm going to worry that if it is corrosion on the back there may be corrosion inside the case too - though I really hope not and rather than try to talk you through winding the watch I'm going to sit on my hands and stand with the "please get a professional service by a sympathetic Omega expert NOT from some shopping mall battery swapper or high street jewellery retailer.
    Please keep us posted though.

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 2, 2019

As others have recommended, contact here:

https://www.lewiswatchco.com/

And make sure you don't try to make bits work or even remove that horrible lug chewing bracelet. Leave that all to whoever gets selected to do the restoration.

Just put it on a feather pillow until it's ready to send to the watch hospital.

16. Risto Jan 2, 2019

That's a pretty watch! Do not send it to Omega for service, find good watchmaker in your area or send it to one.

Rezer likes this.
  17. BenBagbag Jan 2, 2019

Very, very special watch.

When we say take it slow, you have tons of time. Even if it takes a month or two to find the right guy for the job so be it. As said, @photo500 is a great watchmaker.

Think of the long game. You want to be wearing this watch after it's been treated correctly.

Oh yeah, and get it insured. :thumbsup:

marco and Rezer like this.
  18. ConElPueblo Jan 2, 2019

2019 kicks off nicely :)

19. harrymai86 Jan 2, 2019

Just dont sell it by any means such a valuable watch definitely a superb heirloom for future gen

i20rider and Rezer like this.
  20. Omega world Jan 2, 2019

Very beautiful watch,!