Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. GioRoberts

GioRoberts Sep 18, 2017

My grandfather gave me this watch that he had for 15+ years (or so he says), he's 84 years old and can't remember where he bought it or how much it costed, or if it's even a genuine Omega watch, he's pretty sure it is.

I would like any information possible about this watch as i am completely clueless on watches and have no idea if its worth anything or has any kind of value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Pictures:
    (On the back it says SEAMASTER)
    4.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

2. UncleBuck

UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 18, 2017

Hello Gio, and welcome!
    That watch has seen some history!
    Mid-60's model with the gold plating showing some wear. Calibre 560, maybe?
    Show us the inside of the caseback for an accurate description.
    I fear that all the value is in your heart!

It appears to me that it could use several hundred dollars (US) of service, at least, and then you would be proud owner of a watch worth several hundred dollars.... plus your memories.

marco and Timmert like this.
  3. No Mercy

No Mercy Sep 18, 2017

Correct me if Im wrong: it is Ref. 136.011 with Cal. 613 inside.

Bumper likes this.
  4. GioRoberts

GioRoberts Sep 18, 2017

Thanks, i appreciate your words!

I would love you show you the insides but i have no clue on how to open the watch and im afraid to damage it even more

5. GioRoberts

GioRoberts Sep 18, 2017

I would love to answer your questions but in honesty, im completely clueless on watches, i signed up looking for any and whatever help i can get on this watch, im thinking of going to the local watch shop and have the expert open it, I plan on taking photos of the insides. The watch still works perfectly.

6. JimInOz

JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. Sep 18, 2017

I think @No Mercy may be correct on model and movement.:thumbsup:

Although it "still works perfectly" it should be serviced if it hasn't seen a watch doctor for a few years.
    Mechanical watches are miniature machines, and just like big machines, require regular care and maintenance to prevent undue wear to bearings and pivots. If not cleaned and properly lubricated at regular intervals, the result could be similar to continually running a car engine for years without adding or changing the oil. It will slowly grind itself to death.

You should be able to find a competent watchmaker in your area who can service the watch so that, even in its well worn state, may function for years to come.

As @UncleBuck said, the cost of a servicing will probably be greater than the monetary value of the watch, but it's not always about the dollar is it.

Oh yes, nearly forgot. Get it off that bracelet and try it on a nice brown leather strap, I think it would improve the overall look.

Cheers

Jim