Grandfather’s Lost Watch

Hello All,

I am hoping you can help me identify a watch, and find another one to replace it.

For Father’s Day last year I tried to get my grandfather’s watch repaired. With my mothers help I snuck it from my Dad and sent it off to Omega via a local jeweler. Hindsight, not the best idea. It went to Omega and we got a quote for repair. During the time I got the quote and decided to pay the $1200 to get it fixed, Omega shipped the watch back. Apparently it came back with another watch and the jeweler threw it away after taking the other watch out. It was lost. I don’t know the model of it, or anything. Could you guys help me identify it, and possibly find a replacement. I have one crappy picture of it. IMG_6755.png

I’d be stringing that bastard jeweller up, and stick a squid jig up his arse!
For those of you who aren’t aware of how nasty that would be, here is a pic of the business end of a squid jig to give you an idea of how horrible it would be.
IMG_0700.jpeg
I hope the incompetent morons are going to compensate you.

What has the jeweller offered you?
Yeah. The jeweler at a minimum should reimburse your service fee and the insurance evaluation of your watch. And if they don’t, I’d sue them for this.

We actually worked out a pretty solid deal on a new speedmaster. Obviously it can’t replace the watch, but it helped a bit. I would love to find another one for my dad.

If it truly went to Omega, they would have a record of it, including the reference and serial number. Have you looked at the quote document?

I’m wondering if the jeweler actually sent it “to omega” or sent it to just a watchmaker. If it had come from omega back to this jeweler, it would have been packed in a way that they would have had to be drunk, blind or stupid (or all three perhaps) to have missed it. I don’t think you are getting the whole story, but at this point it doesn’t matter.

The watch you showed above is a redialed 50’s era Seamaster that was in fairly rough shape. They are abundant on the used market but like your father’s, many have had the dials refinished. As it was refinished it’s hard to tell what it actually looked like when new, but the defining features is the Arabic 12, the cross-hair and dagger indices. You could likely find one that’s all original and in better shape for about $700-$1k depending on how better. And it will of course need a service unless the owner had one recently- and don’t take it back to the same jeweler for the love of god. Any independent watchmaker with an omega parts account can work on them.
Check out the private watch sales here- they pop up often and you can PM any seller despite having less than the 200 posts to make your own want to buy post.

If it truly went to Omega, they would have a record of it, including the reference and serial number. Have you looked at the quote document?
You are correct. I actually just looked through my email, and I found the quote from Omega. It is Caliber 500 Case Reference 2869.

I’m wondering if the jeweler actually sent it “to omega” or sent it to just a watchmaker. If it had come from omega back to this jeweler, it would have been packed in a way that they would have had to be drunk, blind or stupid (or all three perhaps) to have missed it. I don’t think you are getting the whole story, but at this point it doesn’t matter.

The watch you showed above is a redialed 50’s era Seamaster that was in fairly rough shape. They are abundant on the used market but like your father’s, many have had the dials refinished. As it was refinished it’s hard to tell what it actually looked like when new, but the defining features is the Arabic 12, the cross-hair and dagger indices. You could likely find one that’s all original and in better shape for about $700-$1k depending on how better. And it will of course need a service unless the owner had one recently- and don’t take it back to the same jeweler for the love of god. Any independent watchmaker with an omega parts account can work on them.
Check out the private watch sales here- they pop up often and you can PM any seller despite having less than the 200 posts to make your own want to buy post.

This is great information. I looked at the quote from Omega, and it is Caliber 500 Case Reference 2869. I will continue to search for something that looks similar. I have found a few, but none are exact.

Just because a few of you are likely wondering, the dealer offered me a speedmaster 50% off. My dad loved the new watch, but of course was still sad that his father's watch was gone. I will report back if I ever find something similar. I greatly appreciate the help!

This is great information. I looked at the quote from Omega, and it is Caliber 500 Case Reference 2869. I will continue to search for something that looks similar. I have found a few, but none are exact.

Just because a few of you are likely wondering, the dealer offered me a speedmaster 50% off. My dad loved the new watch, but of course was still sad that his father's watch was gone. I will report back if I ever find something similar. I greatly appreciate the help!
As noted, you may not find an example with exactly the same dial, both because there were many different styles of dial, and also because the OP watch had a repainted dial.

Do you even want a new Speedmaster?
If you do, great. If you don’t, I’d be wanting a no strings compensation offer from the dealer to the value of the seamaster plus inconvenience

Do you even want a new Speedmaster?
If you do, great. If you don’t, I’d be wanting a no strings compensation offer from the dealer to the value of the seamaster plus inconvenience
My thoughts below.

- The watch is gone.
- No amount of money REALLY solves the problem.
- Can I replace it with something that my dad can be proud to wear and hand down?

Speedmaster seemed like a good option for that.

I am happy with the Speedmaster, and so is he. This stink of them losing the watch has worn off at this point. Now I am just trying to do something cool for him, and find a similar replacement.

My thoughts below.

- The watch is gone.
- No amount of money REALLY solves the problem.
- Can I replace it with something that my dad can be proud to wear and hand down?

Speedmaster seemed like a good option for that.

I am happy with the Speedmaster, and so is he. This stink of them losing the watch has worn off at this point. Now I am just trying to do something cool for him, and find a similar replacement.
I’m with you- can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube, dad loves the new speedy- case closed. Finding another that’s “similar” is a very nice gesture and would put you out little money for the joy it could bring.

I’m with you- can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube, dad loves the new speedy- case closed. Finding another that’s “similar” is a very nice gesture and would put you out little money for the joy it could bring.
Agreed. Thanks for the help!