Forums Latest Members

Grand seiko snowflake Spring Drive Watch SBGA211G- advice

1. amiriqbal Jun 4, 2020

Hi all,

The snowflake is on my acquisition list for this year.

Wondered if anyone had the feel for 2nd hand values? Don't see many come up to get an idea.

2. amiriqbal Jun 4, 2020

I'm assuming they depreciate a fair bit..... Perhaps offset by discount on initial purchase?

Can anyone comment?

3. NT931 Jun 4, 2020

Are you using Watchrecon? Snowflakes come up quite often, several a month. Should give you a rough sensing of pricing.

4. Atalien2005 Jun 4, 2020

I purchased the original version (SBGA011) last year off Chrono24 for $4000. A quick scan on that site has a brand new (SBGA211) from dealer about $4800.

amiriqbal likes this.
  5. amiriqbal Jun 4, 2020

Thanks for that advice, I will do

6. amiriqbal Jun 4, 2020

Thanks!

I'm in the UK so would need to stick with UK/Europe sales to avoid import/duty fees

7. jsducote Jun 4, 2020

I've had an alert on Watchrecon (any SGBA) for a while, although I'm not in a position to buy any time soon. Anything listed under US$5000 doesn't hang around long. Winter Snowflakes are a bit less.

amiriqbal likes this.
  8. amiriqbal Jun 4, 2020

Thanks for this advice... Wanted an idea to benchmark second hand prices.

They depreciate less than I thought they would!

9. jsducote Jun 4, 2020

Personally, I cannot vouch for all GS or even all spring drive GS, but the Snowflake in particular appears to have fared well. Someone else may have a better perspective. I put it on my "2020 wish list post" but then got furloughed and eventually formally laid-off. Sure, there's a severance payout, but I'm not the kind of person to spend it until I've landed my next full-time position.

Dedalus05 and amiriqbal like this.
  10. Stripey Jun 8, 2020

I say this light heartedly, but according to most of the posts on another well known brand's watch forum, people like you (who depend on earnings to purchase a watch, rather than unimaginable wealth) don't exist.

More seriously, I hope you find your next FT position soon, and good luck with it all, and enjoy your new watch when you're eventually in a position to buy it as I hope you will be very very shortly.

Dedalus05, jsducote and amiriqbal like this.
  11. kangamatt Feb 10, 2021

I picked up a used mint SBGA211 with box and papers last winter for $4,500 from a Grand Seiko AD. I can't image the price has shifted much in the last 10 months. I'm sure you'll be able to find prices anywhere from 4k-5k with box and papers.

amiriqbal likes this.
  12. Rado63 Mar 19, 2021

Price of any watch is only relevant to the condition of the watch and if you are interested in the box and paperwork, then you need the complete set. Many watches out there may have been from grey market dealers and these watches could be missing some of the books, or warranty card or have a warranty from the reseller not the manufacturer. You didn't name the reference, I am guessing you are looking for the sbga211. Look on watch recon as suggested previously and you will see the photos of the watches and the full kits and see the prices. Then you will know what a complete set looks like and approximate asking prices.

amiriqbal likes this.