Forums Latest Members

Grand Seiko SBGW267 "Asakage" European exclusive

1. FlatTop Oct 10, 2021

Just picked this up this week, I have a few Seikos in my collection but this is my first GS.

Based on the SBGW231, dial is almost a linen dial but is quite a bright metallic silver, a little like Seiko's "kirazuri" dials. The whole dial is also slightly domed, which I'm not sure the SBGW231 is.

Overall feel is very high-quality to me, the strap is nice but I'll be swapping it out for a black one as tan/honey isn't really my colour.

de463018ec42dcb2ad197eb7f89801f28625f4e0.jpeg

jB1128, apsm100, o.m.e.g.a and 12 others like this.
  2. mzzleather Oct 10, 2021

A beautiful watch though quite the departure from Taro Tanaka grammar of design

FlatTop likes this.
  3. FlatTop Oct 10, 2021

Thank you and yes, it’s more a callback to the pre-GoD Grand Seikos and the Lord Marvel.

4. ikanbilisclub Oct 13, 2021

ooooo this is nice. i'd much prefer this over the sbgw 231 which i used to own. the linen texture makes the dial more interesting imo

FlatTop likes this.
  5. FlatTop Oct 13, 2021

Thanks, yes, I had been flirting with the idea of the SBGW231 for a really long time. Though they were nearly impossible to find here in the UK until quite recently. When I did finally try one on I liked the cream dial but didn't love it. That was the only thing holding me back.

The US L.E. ones with the green/blue kirazuri dials were a surprise and I came close to trying to get a friend in the US to grab me one:

[​IMG]

But I'm glad I didn't because shortly after, these were announced for Europe and I think the silver linen(ish) is just a great match for the watch overall. It calls back really strongly to vintage Seiko, even though this one is definitely shinier than a vintage linen dial.

I really don't like the brown one though, it might be better in daylight but I thought it looked terrible in the boutique!

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 13, 2021
  6. ikanbilisclub Oct 13, 2021

Oh wow that brown dial is... an acquired taste! Yes i agree silver linen is best of the lot. I too found the cream dial a bit too bland and only had a short hold of the watch before selling it on for the sbgw 253 heh.

Glad to see GS stocks permeating the uk! . There have been a dime a dozen here in Singapore.

FlatTop likes this.
  7. imagwai Oct 13, 2021

Being in the UK also, I was very interested in this watch when it was announced (the silver, not the brown). I like the interest that the textured dial provides over the SBGW231. The main thing putting me off was the fact I think I preferred the teal US edition! Plus what I'd really like to see is this watch with a nice blue dial like the SBGW259. That one was just a bit too expensive for me unfortunately.

What I have actually ended up with is the SBGW235. Shown here on a strap, but I love that it comes with a beads of rice bracelet which is very comfortable so I can switch it up. And the blue second hand adds just a splash of needed interest to the cream dial. The watch has surpassed all my expectations (which were high anyway) and I'm sure I would have been over the moon with any of them to be honest.

Congrats on yours.

20211004_111351.jpg

FlatTop and Tom Bombadil like this.
  8. jjen Oct 15, 2021

Is this the recent European release?

9. FlatTop Oct 15, 2021

10. jjen Oct 15, 2021

I almost got the SBGW231 a while back but I ended up getting the King Seiko reissue instead. I like the dial texture on yours. I put the KS reissue on an Uncle Seiko bracelet for the SMP and amazingly the end links fit perfectly

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 4.10.48 PM.png
    imagwai and FlatTop like this.
  11. FlatTop Oct 15, 2021

Lovely watch, I think they did a great job with that KS reissue.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 15, 2021

::insert drool emoji::