Forums Latest Members

Grand Seiko 6146-8040 'Kira Zuri'

1. Spinakerr Mar 21, 2021

Hi all - I thought I'd post up some images of this GS as there's not too much on the internet on them, and I wondered how many others were on OF.

[​IMG][

I picked this up two years ago in a rather strange turn of events. I was only just starting to get into vintage Grand Seiko and was meeting a few collectors at a pub the night before a vintage watch fair (remember those?). One of the attendees had a truly fine 61GS, a VFA I think (he'll come and correct me!) and I spent a bit of the evening working my way through the back catalogue of references on the interwebs.

The next day at the fair another Seiko fanatic introduced me to a friend who had a 56GS for sale at a reasonable price. It was polished but had a great clean dial, so I started chatting to him about it. As we spoke, another dealer came out form his stall and asked if I knew what this watch was, a Grand Seiko. He knew nothing, I knew a fraction more maybe, and I took a look. The dial stunned me but I knew zero and we agreed to meet back in London.

After a visit in calmer circumstances and having realised this was a very special watch, I asked him what his price was. London dealer, brick and mortar shop, all papers etc... I was worried the figure would be astronomical...

"£400. Take it." I pretty much floated out of that transaction!

[​IMG]

So what is it? Grand Seiko 6146, 6 denoting the day and date version, in a tonneau case rather than the popular crisp 'Grammar of Design' style. I found a few old listings in Japan and just loved it, but not much more info was out there. Several other Grand Seikos had this dial pattern, resembling cross weaves of tatami mats or kimono fabric (take your pick for romanticised Japanese interpretations) - recent issuances include the SBGA387.

I had to get a new rotor from Japan but fortunately they did come up, and after working its way through two watchmakers its now perfect. Medallion is a bit worn, but I started wearing it. The first I saw it in a sunset wiht the NOS crystal I had to stop and stare. Cpmpletely smitten.

After a few IG posts, Gerald from thegrandseikoguy and Paul from vintageseiko got in touch - it turns out this may be the first example of a GS being sold outside Japan, as I still had the papers and a bit of the story of previous ownership.

https://thegrandseikoguy.com/2019/12/17/a-vintage-grand-seiko-originally-sold-outside-japan/

They also exist with a blue dial, and the pattern emerges on some other vintage & modern GS - whatever the case, I'm consistently thrilled with it and hope one day to visit the GS museum in Japan who said they would be interested in documenting it to fill their records.

[​IMG]
    Any other Kira-Zuri dials out there?

YYTIN, Zdzislaw, Mediocre and 25 others like this.
  2. Dan S Mar 21, 2021

Very nice dial. Sorry if I missed it, but could you say what year is this from? And maybe a case-back photo.

Spinakerr likes this.
  3. inchpincher Has your missing inches Mar 21, 2021

1972, the grandseikoguy write up is very thorough.

Spinakerr likes this.
  4. Dan S Mar 21, 2021

TL;DR. Scanned through quickly but didn't see a case-back photo.

Spinakerr likes this.
  5. inchpincher Has your missing inches Mar 21, 2021

No you’re right, I scanned it too, date of sale was 29.2.72 but there’s a good chance the watch is a year before. Case back pic please @Spinakerr !

Edit: forgot to say I love the dial texture too, great catch.

Edited Mar 21, 2021
    Spinakerr likes this.
  6. Spinakerr Mar 22, 2021

Thanks all - will get a caseback photo later, the medallion is quite worn but its all intact.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2021

Nice, I’ve never loved C-Cases that much but I’m a huge fan of 36,000 vph watches, especially at that kind if price. Very cool dial too!

8. m neuman What, me worry? Mar 22, 2021

nice piece, I like them and recently found one. Am very impressed with their beauty

9. ikanbilisclub Mar 23, 2021

That's a brilliant dial! it some how reminds me a a setting sun over the sea with shimmering reflections and shadows of the waves.

10. Spinakerr Mar 23, 2021

Oh yes forgot to mention the movement - the hi beat 36k is a wonder to listen to - definitely what I would call a 'swan movement' - lots going on under the water to create visible smoothness and tranquillity!

The dial also reminds me of Monet's water lily painting under certain light - though I think that is an indication that I've spent too long looking at it!

ikanbilisclub likes this.
  11. ikanbilisclub Mar 23, 2021

You have a Monet at home to stare at? :D

Spinakerr likes this.
  12. Spinakerr Apr 4, 2021

Here's the caseback picture. Medallion is worn but I'll leave it as-is.

[​IMG]

Zdzislaw, Mediocre and InsideWatchBox like this.
  13. mahamithra Apr 6, 2021

Hi You mention the date of the watch being 1972 but I think you will find it Nov 1969

14. Spinakerr Apr 9, 2021

Hi there - made 1969, sold 1972 - see Gerald's article for more details - he's far more the expert than I!

15. ewand May 3, 2021

Hi James :) lovely thing... And my original 61GS (ex- @efauser) was a HiBeat Special, is a 6156-8000 ...

Spinakerr likes this.
  16. georgeszaslavsky May 9, 2021

congratulations on a great watch

17. rbob99 Jul 20, 2021

That's a real beauty. Would love to see the blue-dialed version also.