Forums Latest Members

Grand-father watch, worth something ? and how to change the date?

1. omega920 Jan 2, 2016

Hello, im in possession of an Omega DeVille that my grand-father receive in 1988 for his 25 years of work in a factory. I was wondering what precisely the name of this watch and how much this could go for? Im not looking to sell, just want to put a value on the watch.

Also, i want to know the name of the watch so i can understand how to change the date on it.

I'm new here but thanks in advance if you care to help me :)
    [​IMG]

2. flyingout Jan 2, 2016

I couldn't find it in the most likely Omega reference book to have it. Closest I could find online was this:

http://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/2343839-omega-de-ville-men-s-wristwatch-1980s

Hard to read the case back, but trying a few variations, this popped up a couple of them in Google:
    MD 196.0312.1

So that's my best guess at the reference number. The auctions will give you an idea of the value. Quartz doesn't do that well.

Oh, and as to setting the date. If the crown doesn't pull out to two positions, you most likely will have to spin the hands around 24-hours for each day to get to the right date. A pain, but some watches work that way.

Cheers

3. omega920 Jan 2, 2016

Thanks ! for the date problem you were right, had to spin 24hours each day. and for the reference number looks familiar but is there a way to find exactly the serial number and all ?

4. flyingout Jan 2, 2016

You need to open it up. The back probably pops off, but be very careful, it's easy to badly scratch it if you don't know how or if age has sealed it tight. You may want to take it to a watchmaker (even a battery changing type) to open it up and let you see or take photos.

A little more. Going in via the movement, this turned up in the Omega database:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...ache=1&cHash=a52d4a736234d6e456def02ffbe0cc2d

Similar, and I'm guessing the .1 is yet another dial style not listed there. If so, the name of the model is De Ville Ile de France.

Does it work?

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 2, 2016

If you get a watchmaker to remove the back and take very clear photos, that will show the exact model and serial number.

6. omega920 Jan 2, 2016

i wont take chances to open it by myself, thanks for the infos.