Forums Latest Members
  1. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 25, 2014

Hi,

did you ever looking for a speedmaster of your year of birth ? If yes, Did you over paid it ? especialy if the speedmaster also have the paper (Not the extract but the original paper) ...

i have the opportunity to take a speed from my year and month of birth ... With original papers and of course the price is high for the ref (i m still young .... So it s 861 mouvement / 80's ... With a price for a good find 321 :)

so do you think it s a grail (and this opportunity Will never show up again) or a "non sense" to over paid a "basic moonwatch ( 145.022-78)

sorry for my terrible english :) and thanks for your feedback and own expérience

have a great sunday Time !

2. cristos71 May 25, 2014

I don´t really get that birth year thing.

If the ´Mother Speedmaster´ had given birth to this baby 145.022-78 the same day that you were born, then that would be cool. As it is it just means that it was sold the same month you were born and I can´t get excited about that.

As for paying a premium for it it all depends on how desperate you are to own it. But if the premium is only based on the fact that it is your birth month then it could prove tricky to regain that outlay later, unless of course you have a twin who is also into watches ;)

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. marturx May 25, 2014

Go for a Great White 1978 as birth year watch instead. That would be cool. 1978 was not a good year for Omega IMO

Pls Mods remove if inappropriate:oops:

Darlinboy likes this.
  4. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 25, 2014

Yep, it s the "sold date" for sûre but the serial number of the mouvement is in the correct range for 1980 speedy (thanks Greg for the info - and even this (correct range) it s pretty hard to find ....)

By the way "mother speedmaster" make this one the Right year too :))

5. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 25, 2014

Marturx :
    not the same price :) maybe i can have a look to casio vintage stuff as Well :)

6. marturx May 25, 2014

Stef, don't forget that I know your line of work. You, if anyone, can afford one :)

7. pascs May 25, 2014

I used to think it was important but its hard to say with a Speedmaster. The date the watch was actually produced can be very different to the date it was actually sold, and to me a 145.022-78 is a '78 watch even if it was sold a few years later in the 80's.

But then to have the novelty of having the original sales paperwork with your month and year of birth on it would make it quite special.

The problem is that the 70's Speedmasters are probably the least popular at the moment

8. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 25, 2014

Not the good thread for explain the différence between caseback (78) / mouvement serial number (80) / and sold date (july 80 ... Yes you all know now my month and year of birth :)) : it has been done by respectable members here and elsewhere

you are Right for the popular comment but it s not a trading watch ... Just one to keep for old Times : looks kids ... grand-papa got a watch from is month and year birthday ! Ok Kids she doesń´t works anymore (thanks cousin uk :) and you doń´t care about mecanical watch (meca what ? Grand papa is crazy again :) lol sorry for the "digression"

9. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author May 25, 2014

if you are searching a speedy of your birthyear, you can increase your chance by considering case date (80 does not exist), production date or sale date.

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 25, 2014

I like the idea of a birth-year watch, but agree with others there that the Speedmaster may not be the best choice.

That said, it's going to be YOUR watch, so do what pleases you. ;)

11. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 25, 2014

Just to have more input : why speedmaster 80 are - for you - not a good "périod" : lack of history (not for this particular research :)) : but, one négative point / still tritium dial (généraly in great condition) : one good point / not 321 mvt ? etC ?