Forums Latest Members

"Grail" obtained... sell the rest?

1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 21, 2015

How many of you are in this position? I have my Speedmaster Professional... I have my Watchco Seamaster 300... and I have almost no interest in wearing the rest of my watches! I even paid a lot to have some of them serviced.

So now I am wanting to sell them. Of course a part of me says "no, you fool, don't do that!" But I wore my Accutron to work this morning, and when I came home after a half day to work from home the rest of the day... I put the Accutron away and put the Seamaster 300 back on.

The only other watches I plan to keep are my great-grandfather's pocket watch and my 1917 Ingersoll Midget wristwatch with the new lume.

Tom

2. calalum May 21, 2015

If you need the money, sell. If you can wait, see how you feel over the next few months and then decide whether to sell or not. There are always a lot of threads about seller's remorse over letting go of pieces that people wish they had held on to.

NT931 and Matty01 like this.
  3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 21, 2015

I did wait months. :)

Tom

4. calalum May 21, 2015

Well, only you can decide if you want and/or need to let them go.

5. Northernman Lemaniac May 21, 2015

Life as a collector is hard...... :D
    Too many watches, too few wrists!

erpin9, STANDY and Taddyangle like this.
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 21, 2015

Perhaps that's my issue. I'm not a collector. I have some really nice stuff but once it all got put together... eh, don't care much any more.

Kinda weird, I know. I'm tempted to keep anything before 1920, because come on, how cool is that?

Tom

7. Lulu Bear May 21, 2015

As someone who would like to add to my collection of one, all I can say is: "sell, sell, sell!"

ulackfocus and Hijak like this.
  8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 21, 2015

I think I have enough posts here that I think I could? I've had issues with selling before, where I was scoffed at for not wanting to lose money (for one) or I said "no returns" (on eBay) and got a lot of crap for that.

We'll see. I'm trying to think of whether I have special people I'd rather "rehome" to first, if that means anything.

Tom

9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 21, 2015

Put some pics of your collection, we know what you are not interested in selling.

I have watches I have not worn in years. They sit in a box and various other locations. Some are not worth more than $50-$75, others much more. In any case, too much of a headache to sell, but certainly I would entertain offers for most any watch I own (not the Gemini, Panda, Ploprof, Skyfall, etc) but certainly others, and I would even let go at a reasonable price.

10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 21, 2015

DIBS on if any speedys :D

Cant believe no one has posted that.

11. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 21, 2015

Anything is for sale at the right price ;)

12. E-diddy May 21, 2015

I'm similar to you. I'm ready to sell the watches I favor less or don't wear at all. I only buy/keep what I will wear. No regrets. My tastes are evolving as well, so it's always exciting to consolidate in order to pursue that next grail.

Once I have enough feedback, I'd be happy to make some of my pieces available to fellow members.

Paedipod likes this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 21, 2015

Roughly speaking

[​IMG]

Keep the top row and sell the bottom row. Though I've been thinking hmmm keep anything before 1920.

Tom

14. Lulu Bear May 21, 2015

15. michaelmc May 21, 2015

A buyers form of remorse, I get it time to time the itch to reconfigure the collection. As long as your happy with what you have and don't suffer from the more is better bug go ahead and sell a few or only one just to see how it feels. I think for some collectors it invigorates the psychosis. m

16. alfanator May 21, 2015

If you know you like SM 300s and Speedys, why not sell the rest and upgrade the SM300 and Speedy?

Or if you are content, and happy with them. Then be content, and happy. Sell the rest and help us less content fools be a little bit happier.

Matty01 and lwong like this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 21, 2015

I am totally with you on what you are saying. I face a similar dilemma. I have about 6-8 watches that I really don't wear or no longer care for them as what I like now has changed. I hate to see them sitting in a box unworn. On top of that I recently said I would not use any new funds to purchase watches, ie need to sell a watch to buy a watch. I needed some way to temporarily control the chaos :)

Tritium and persco like this.
  18. devnull May 21, 2015

To me this is very simple; watches, and vintage cameras, and gold coins, and everything else that is expensive and has liquidity, is part of my slush fund. When I gave up vintage cameras I let them be until I got a different interest, at which point I cashed in cameras to buy into my new interest.

You should not sell them not because you don't care for them anymore, you should not sell them because at the moment you don't seem to have anything else you lust after. When you find something else you really want, you can sell them with a smile on your face happy that they will fuel a new passion.

19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 21, 2015

If I exclude a few pieces that are worthy of exclusion, then I've sold exactly one. It wasn't a problem as, much as I liked the look of the watch, I didn't like the way it sat on my wrist and was always a little annoyed when wearing it.

The rest, I have been fairly selective in what I've purchased. My collection is not big at all, but I wear everything in the watch box. I would let one go to 'upgrade' if the right piece came along. There's also a few on my target list that I'm just about ready to go after hard.

I'd say sell what you don't like or don't wear. You can always put them back on the list later if you regret it... may pay more for some down the road, but they're almost always obtainable with patience and money.

E-diddy likes this.
  20. persco May 21, 2015

I maxed out at about 6 watches in my collection a couple of years ago. Mostly German, three Stowas (Seatime, Marine Original, Marine Auto), Meistersinger, Damasko DA36, and a Marathon MSAR). I then went away traveling for a couple of years, came back and decided I really wanted to get my grail watches.

So for the last 18 months, I have sold off most of the original collection and upgraded it to include a Seiko MM300, Seamaster 300 cal 552 Watchco, and Speedy Pro. I just sold the last watch, a Seatime, and I'm about to pick up a Rolex 14060M. I'll keep the Stowa MO. That takes me back up to 5 watches that I can honestly say I have always wanted.

So what to do now? I find myself now looking at Grand Seikos, UG Tri Compaxes, and various Omegas like the PO or a Speedy Panda...

Never ends really. I'm an addict.

oddboy likes this.