Forums Latest Members

Got the Omega bug-- hoping for opinions on this one

1. ajg1960 Jan 14, 2017

Hello all, so as the title states, I've got the Omega bug. Purchased my first vintage Seamaster a feew weeks back, and I absolutely love it. I have been looking for a Seamaster Cosmic and found this one for auction-- it looks too clean to be true--so wanted the opinion of the experts here. Its listed as an almost unworn 1965 model. Since its for auction, not sure what price it will fetch but right now its only at about $200. Is it too clean to be true? s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500 (2).jpg s-l500.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 14, 2017

Do you have better photos? Crown looks wrong but need higher resolution photos to comment on some of the other things. I am wondering about the extra zero in the stamped reference number.

3. ajg1960 Jan 14, 2017

Thanks for your reply. These are the only photos I have, I will ask the seller for more photos, but for now this is it.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 14, 2017

From the photos you provided 2 things stand out.
    1. wrong crown.
    2. Case has been polished to a significant extent.
    Hope this helps.

5. StrutlessWonder Jan 14, 2017

I think the challenge will be weighing "buy the best example you can find" vs something "affordable" that you are not afraid to wear at the price point you have set for yourself.
    The watch looks clean, (despite the wrong crown), but the overpolished case is a no-go for me. It just looks tacky. Maybe I could live with it for $200, but that's probably not what it will end up selling for. I'd wait and spend my $500 on a different example. There will always be others...

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 14, 2017

Anyone have any opinions on the reference number inside the caseback? 3 zeros seems suspect.

7. Edward53 Jan 14, 2017

It certainly is not "almost unworn" - as Joe K says, it's been heavily polished and it has the wrong crown. I like the Cosmic line but they are not rare, not everybody likes them and you can easily find a better example than this. Here's a useful tip: if a watch case has that shiny molten metal look, it's been overpolished and is no longer a "collectable" watch. Study photos of other Cosmics online and you'll soon work out what they should look like.

Of course you could always go ahead and buy a watch like this one, but if you continue to learn what makes a good vintage watch you won't be happy with it for long.

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 14, 2017

I have seen that before.

9. ajg1960 Jan 14, 2017

Thank you all for your expert info. I'm going to pass.

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 14, 2017

Thanks. I guess the listing can now be updated to add "rare".