Forums Latest Members

Got the call on a Speedy Moonwatch

1. Green Omega Sep 4, 2017

I'm thrilled to share with you my recent acquisition of my Speedy, which I was able to get last week from an AD. I actually got a similar call from another AD earlier but decided to pass on as I was focused on getting the 1957 reissue. But as I get to read and research more about this Speedy, I eventually learned and realized that this is the first Speedy that one should get due to its storied history. As such, when another opportunity came about last week, I did not hesitate and went to the AD to pick up the Speedy.

In addition to wanting to get the 1957 reissue which would fits nicely in my collection, there was also part hesitation initially on my end to get this timepiece for the following reasons:

1. The size at 42mm - I prefer wearing watches up to 40mm due to my wrist size.

2. Manual wind - I prefer an automatic over a manual for convenience sake. I am normally in a rush in the morning and routinely pick up my watches from the winder.

3. The crown guard and the pushers configuration - I find them to close for comfort that it may be difficult to wind the watch every other day.

4. Hesalite - Except for my vintage Omega watches, all my other watches are in sapphire crystal. In addition, the hesalite version appears to wear tall on the wrist.

To my surprise, after seeing and trying the watch at the AD, I found that the Speedy moonwatch actually fitted nicely on my wrist. Contrary to my initial fear, the watch was neither too big nor too thick for my comfort. I also tried winding the watch and did not find it difficult and bothersome as I initial thought it would be with the crown guard. Adding to that, I did not have to pull out the crown via a reverse wind (like what I do with the other brand) and the winding is both smooth and buttery. The use of the chronograph was such a breeze as well, as there was no need to lock or unlock the pushers to get the chrono going. And having seen the milky ring in the post on the sapphire crystal Speedy, I would admit that the hesalite version appeared so much better to my eyes and a joy to look at the conspicuous Omega logo found at the center of the crystal (similar to my other vintage Omega).

The other things that I like about this Speedy are:

1. The black and white contrast on the dial and hands - the hour and minute hands are so legible and so easy to read time. Same also with the chronograph hand that has a diamond-pop that is easy to follow during use.

2. The sunken sub dials and the white markers - while other likes Panda/Reverse Panda sub dials, I always preferred that simple sub dial detail with minimal markers and numbers on them.

3. The tiny markers within each minute marker - the four markers on this model vs the 2 markers on other models made the outer ring really standout in my eyes on a hesalite crystal.

4. The black tachymetre bezel - it blended nicely on the black dial with the white markers and hour/minute hands. It's a first for me to have a black bezel watch.

5. Versatility in looks - put them on the original bracelet and changing them later to leather straps gave the Speedy a different aura and look. Love it!

6. Vintage feel - definitely this Speedy will go well with my vintage Omega collection that I shared in an earlier post. It's really amazing for Omega to keep on producing this watch for more than 50 years with minor changes.

In conclusion, I definitely agree that a Speedy should be in one's collection. Moreover, if one needs to have a chronograph, a Speedy should be it. And if it boils down to having one Speedy, then a Speedy moonwatch should be seriously considered.

Will this be my one and only Speedy? I believe having bagged this sweet timepiece, I am more determined to add another Speedy in my collection. Hopefully it will be the 1957 reissue.

Have a great Speedy Tuesday and enjoy the pictures below.

IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0057.JPG
    balaja, Alex_TA, Pun and 5 others like this.
  2. Shailor Sep 4, 2017

All in all, my favorite watch of all time. Iconic styling that fits in anywhere.

Edited Sep 4, 2017
    Pun, Foo2rama and Green Omega like this.
  3. lhawli Sep 4, 2017

A timeless icon - congrats!

Green Omega likes this.
  4. Watchmutt Sep 4, 2017

Good choice!

Green Omega likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 4, 2017

Great write up, and welcome to the support group... I mean club!

The Speedy wears smaller then the dimensions would make you think. The crown guards which you don't see while wearing the watch add around 2mm to the width.

I agree it's an amazing watch and if I had to sell my collection my Speedy would be the last to go. My SKX would be my second to last.

Pun and Green Omega like this.
  6. Green Omega Sep 5, 2017

Thanks all for your compliments. Here are some more pics that I took.

1. The Speedy Tuesday magazine that I got from the mail which started it all.

2. Love to buy a copy of the moonwatch coffee table book to add to my collection.

3. The complete Speedy moonwatch package.

4. The Speedy in bracelet.

5. The Speedy on wheels.

Have a great day!

IMG_7821.JPG IMG_7989.JPG IMG_7999.JPG IMG_8008.JPG IMG_8074.JPG
  7. Owlsu Sep 5, 2017

Why did you have to wait for a call to get it? Was it sold out and you got put on a waiting list or something?

I thought stock for the standard Speedmaster was always readily available at all times pretty much.

And of course, nice watch! :)

Green Omega likes this.
  8. Mozziebite Sep 5, 2017

Green Omega likes this.
  9. mikechi22 Sep 5, 2017

I like your write up and the watch is über cool, but not being one of the Brotherhood, I'm not sure...is that a Speedy Tuesday? A regular Speedy? Do you have a reservation for the '57 reissue? Now, that one I know on sight!

Green Omega likes this.
  10. Green Omega Sep 5, 2017

Hi, the standard Speedy moonwatch appears to be a fast moving timepiece based on what the AD has shared although stocks are replenished within 1-2 months. There is a list that they maintained from inquiring customers and they call upon arrival of their stocks.

Owlsu likes this.
  11. Green Omega Sep 5, 2017

Thank you mikechi22! No, the watch is a standard Speedy moonwatch in Hesalite. It's originally in a bracelet although I had it changed to a brown strap to go along with my casual attire.

Yes, I listed down my name for the 57 reissue. Agree with you that's is in my sight since the Trilogy was announced. Hopefully I would get an allocated piece soon.

mikechi22 likes this.