Got my Speedy

I’ve been looking for my first Omega and first luxury watch. Until today, I’ve never spent over $1k on a watch. However, today I got a Speedy! I’ve always wanted one, I love the history and how classic it is. I also love that it seems to transcend watch collecting. A person with a Seiko at home loves it, and a person with a Patek at home loves it. I went back and forth between this and a Planet Ocean, but ultimately I’ve wanted a Speedy for 10+ years so I went with this first (I’ll get a PO at some point…).

It’s from 2019, and while the previous owner definitely wore it, it wasn’t abused at all. Still has a year of warranty left, too. I think it looks insanely good on a NATO.
Edited:

Like 43
Congrats. $2,800 is an absolute steal. Prices are typically around $3,500 to $4,500 for a good used example.

Like 4
Congratulations! That’s a great price and an excellent do it all watch.

Like 1
I’ve been looking for my first Omega and first luxury watch. Until today, I’ve never spent over $1k on a watch. However, today I got a Speedy! I’ve always wanted one, I love the history and how classic it is. I also love that it seems to transcend watch collecting. A person with a Seiko at home loves it, and a person with a Patek at home loves it. I went back and forth between this and a Planet Ocean, but ultimately I’ve wanted a Speedy for 10+ years so I went with this first (I’ll get a PO at some point…).

It’s from 2019, and while the previous owner definitely wore it, it wasn’t abused at all. Still has a year of warranty left, too. Not a bad deal for $2800. I think it looks insanely good on a NATO.

It doesn't just seem to transcend watch collecting.
It potentially defines a particular segment and in of itself.

Congratulations and welcome to the club:)
Enjoy:thumbsup:

Like 1
I remember the high of getting my first Speedy about 5 years ago. I've worn it everyday since. Congratulation to you on a great buy!
Spoiler alert - it looks insanely good on anything.

IMG_20200711_232217273.jpg IMG_20201026_142211311.jpg IMG_20210703_145223823.jpg IMG_20211018_124517125_HDR.jpg IMG_20210513_192343767.jpg IMG_20200426_170715933.jpg

Like 8
Congratulations on your watch, a fantastic first choice! And oh yeah, it looks great on anything!!!1000010053.jpg

Like 4
Good choice. Congrats!
My Speedy from 2005 says hello.

Like 2
Hope you sent the seller a box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day ‘cause he gave you a sweetheart of a deal…see what I did there.

These really do appeal on so many levels to even non-watch people. As much as I love to hate mine (wears like a slab on my wrist) it will never leave my collection.

Hope you sent the seller a box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day ‘cause he gave you a sweetheart of a deal…see what I did there.

These really do appeal on so many levels to even non-watch people. As much as I love to hate mine (wears like a slab on my wrist) it will never leave my collection.
Ah, come on James, you know that you love your dinner plate chronograph. You know you do. And speaking of Valentine's Day, have you purchased one for your wife yet? :D And as for the OP's deal, he stole that thing. $2,800! Most Speedmasters that sell in that range need some serious work.
Edited:

What a great deal on a fantastic watch, Congratulations!
IMG_8383.jpg

Like 2
Congrats! Just got my first as well and agree that it truly looks awesome with any strap! I have a PO as well and you can’t go wrong with that either, but I think I’ll end up gravitating to the Speedy as a daily. Enjoy!

Like 1
Oh man, I’m new here and have been dreaming of a speedmaster professional for years. I’m hoping to learn as much as I can from this community. That sounds like a great deal! Looking forward to seeing all of the great watches in here. Cheers gentlemen

Like 2
Oh man, I’m new here and have been dreaming of a speedmaster professional for years. I’m hoping to learn as much as I can from this community. That sounds like a great deal! Looking forward to seeing all of the great watches in here. Cheers gentlemen

I wanted a Speedmaster since I was 10 (When I saw Jim Lovell's from Apollo 8 at the Museum of Science and Industry. I was gawking at it in the display case thinking "that's one cool watch!". It's still there almost 50 years later!). It took 43 years but I got mine when I was 53 (to mark my 25th Wedding Anniversary). I lurked here for a year before the purchase, and I think without the knowledge gained on Omega Forums I probably would have not taken the plunge. You sure have come to the right place and I hope to see a post from you in the future with a Speedmaster on your wrist.

lovell.jpg
Edited:

Like 5
I wanted a Speedmaster since I was 10 (I saw Jim Lovell's from Apollo 8 at the Museum of Science and Industry), It took 43 years but I got mine when I was 53 (to mark my 25th Wedding Anniversary). I lurked here for a year before the purchase, and I think without the knowledge gained on Omega Forums. I probably would have not taken the plunge. You sure have come to the right place and I hope to see a post from you in the future with a Speedmaster on your wrist.

lovell.jpg
I appreciate this reply so much! I’m hoping to learn as much as I can and get some advice on what to look for. I will be trying to engage as much as I can and hope I can share when and if I do find one of these beautiful pieces!

Like 3
Congratulations on your watch, a fantastic first choice! And oh yeah, it looks great on anything!!!1000010053.jpg
I love those lume shots so much on Speedies.... (I think that's luminova though right when it's blue colour like that?)

Like 1
I love those lume shots so much on Speedies.... (I think that's luminova though right when it's blue colour like that?)
Definitely Luminova. It’s actually green in real life but often looks bluish in photos.

IMG_7468.jpeg

Like 2

To add to what Aroxx said a post above, all the speedies I've seen use green luminova, but there are other watches that use blue (or a combination of both). The human eye can detect- green-yellow light the most easily in dark conditions, so while blue can look really sharp (especially when charged), the lighter green the speedy uses is *probably* better for a tool watch application. Not that it matters that much in 2024!